The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lining Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Have you even mixed in a live shackled ducks into your drills? Sounds like the dog is bored out of his mind. I think that is a major problem with the tapes and videos. They provide lots of drills which give new trainers something to do that "feels productive" when they are training alone. You really need sort of a dog who doesn't think much to be able to do drills all day without any real motivator.
    Like you I assumed that the OP owns and has watched and studied the tapes and videos. But we can't really assume that the OP has watched and studied TRT. The OP has already pointed out to me the problem of making assumptions.

It is not fair to criticize training videos like Mike Lardys TRT DVDs, as we really don't know if the OP has actually watched them, let alone studied and tried to implement them.

Dog stuff is supposed to be fun. If the human is not having fun, something is wrong. If the dog is not having fun, something is even more wrong.
    Renee P

This is a simple bugging/no go issue that has been created by too much drill work. Do what others have suggested and start marking the dog more frequently. You may still have a problem when you come back to the drill work but I would not try to solve it with force at first or you may create bigger problems. Obviously no-goes cannot be tolerated however as far as looking out there goes just send the dog off, blow the whistle and handle. Continue with a lot of balance in your training (good mix of marks to blinds) and you should come out smelling like a rose. Good luck.

I don't think Paul was really crticizeing the videos just pointing out a trap anyone, but especially new trainers, can fall into. What are the three stages of dog training, I know nothing, I know everything, occasionaly I get it right. I think in this case our friend is over training. If I had this dog I would be building confidence and along with that will come momentum or it may be the other way around but in any event endless drilling is really counter productive here, Show the dog something new and work it out as you go, it will probably look really ugly for awhile but that will change.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

I truly believe that most of what has been said is true (Borden), but that is not an excuses for bugging off the line. I would go in a slightly different way. I would bring him back in the yard and use some in direct pressure. I would teach him to NO off piles. I would set up three piles a back pile at 40 yards and two side piles at 20 yards. I would send to each piles ( with no pressure ) Then I would line him on a pile, stick him and say NO, move to another pile and send. I would do this randomly until he is no longer bugging off the line. Then go back to the field and see how it worked. Just a thought.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    I don't think Paul was really crticizeing the videos just pointing out a trap anyone, but especially new trainers, can fall into. What are the three stages of dog training, I know nothing, I know everything, occasionaly I get it right. I think in this case our friend is over training. If I had this dog I would be building confidence and along with that will come momentum or it may be the other way around but in any event endless drilling is really counter productive here, Show the dog something new and work it out as you go, it will probably look really ugly for awhile but that will change.
    Hi Bruce,

I a Noob as well. Do you think that the OP actually owns the videos/DVDs? Do you think he has watched and studied them?
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Hi Bruce,

I a Noob as well. Do you think that the OP actually owns the videos/DVDs? Do you think he has watched and studied them?
    Well now I feel really dumb. This entire time I have been making the dog watch the videos! I will start to study them and let you know how I progress Renee.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Erik B.

No reason to even doubt that he is following the program. From my perspective only, change it up.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

See how in the video ,Lardy has a black dog problem solved.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Hi Bruce,

I do and I agree with Bruce, that a good as the TRT program is and I used it extensively when I was training my third dog, individual dogs vary greatly and individual issues can pop up that can puzzle a newbie trainer. IMO most new people would do a lot better training with an experienced buddy or training group along with watching training videos, reading Dennis Voight and every good retriever book you can get your hands on.

I thought about this thread as I went to sleep last night, and realized that I have been more successful in my yard program when I was quickly ably to transition past the force into "fun" drills. Goldens tend to be less soldier like than Labs and quickly get tired of boring, repetitive drills, but love games. I found that drills like "walking baseball" and such that keep a dog on his toes and thinking is a lot more fun, and leads quickly toward running cold blinds.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    See how in the video ,Lardy has a black dog problem solved.
    Not very sensitive but but classic.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.