The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lining Issues

Have you even mixed in a live shackled ducks into your drills? Sounds like the dog is bored out of his mind. I think that is a major problem with the tapes and videos. They provide lots of drills which give new trainers something to do that "feels productive" when they are training alone. You really need sort of a dog who doesn't think much to be able to do drills all day without any real motivator.

Your dog is probably getting bored if you really did this 1000 times. Mix it up and do some marks. Maybe attempt short cold blinds. Swimby to me is important and I would start it for a change in this guys life. But keep in mind to balance your training out. Be consistent. JMO Good luck.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Probably I'm not understanding your posts. Several of the other posters are wondering what you are trying to accomplish as well.

I'm not much of a dog trainer, so I read stuff on RTF to learn how to be better. It be nice if folks like me could understand the problem to take advantage of the solutions offered.
    Every time I train I try to do a better job following TRT. Its not perfect but I am grateful for the resource. If everybody followed their program perfectly and without confusion, then RTF would be mostly a POTUS site. We all need to make sure we dont turn into the monkeys and bananas analogy below, although sometimes I think the effort is futile:

Start with a cage containing fivemonkeys.
    Inside the cage,hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, amonkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon ashe touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water.
    After a while,another monkey makes an attempt with the same result - all the other monkeysare sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climbthe stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.
    Now, put away thecold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. Thenew monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise andhorror, all of the other monkeys attack him.
    After anotherattempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will beassaulted.
    Next, removeanother of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. Thenewcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes partin the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkeywith a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkeytakes to the stairs, he is attacked.
    Most of themonkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climbthe stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.
    After replacingall the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayedwith cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs totry for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it'salways been done round here.

New Monkey Regards!
    Erik B.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Have you even mixed in a live shackled ducks into your drills? Sounds like the dog is bored out of his mind. I think that is a major problem with the tapes and videos. They provide lots of drills which give new trainers something to do that "feels productive" when they are training alone. You really need sort of a dog who doesn't think much to be able to do drills all day without any real motivator.
    Not a bad idea! If he can get through the popping and bugging, I would definitely get the hell off the T pattern and move on to Pattern blinds and walk around blinds! Really hoping the dog is getting a diet of MARKS also
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Sounds to me, and others like your dog is really bored. When I have seen similar issues START to crop up in my dogs, I know the dog is bored and more than ready to start work on cold blinds. You can go back to patterns or lining drills to work on issues as the you see fit. I've found that after colds, my dogs seem to appreciate the simplicity and it improves confidence. Attitude is everything. Not a pro, just my $.02. Good luck.

I have had the same issue with my dog not looking straight out when I line him up. He wouldn't really get buggy, he just looked left or right most of the time.
    You might try setting big white bumpers in a pyramid shape with him by your side in the bottom middle. Put a tab on his collar and line him up for one of the closest bumpers, use the tab to keep him straight but don't make it a wrestling match. Then , alternate sides and send him for one after another. The.combination of using the tab and him seeing the bumpers may get him to focus straight out. I think this is called the ladder drill but not positive on that. It helped my dog and he enjoyed running it.
    Hope this helps.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Not a bad idea! If he can get through the popping and bugging, I would definitely get the hell off the T pattern and move on to Pattern blinds and walk around blinds! Really hoping the dog is getting a diet of MARKS also
    Thank you for your comments, Bridget. I especially appreciated your remarks about front vs side sends.

When the OP said he was doing pattern blinds and was in transition and following TRT, I assumed that he was working on 3 legged pattern blinds...but you're saying he's doing T patterns. That clears a lot up for me!
    Renee P

I had a bugging problem and didn't really realize it ( kinda). I was trying to get that rock solid 100% "locked on " look. I would fiddle fart around at the line and it was only building anxiety for her.
    Now with the help of a pro figuring this out ( he had no problems lining her up) .we come to the line, I don't hurry for say, but I don't jack around either. No more " here,dead bird,no heal ,dead bird " and so on, I get her close, drop my hand and send.
    She was never a popper, but if I get a bad initial line (say 30 ft) ,I recall ,resend.
    This has helped her confidence of making a decision to trust me.
    I believe trying to demand perfection on the line while running a lot of pattern blinds was the cause of most of our blind issues,including my frustration and her anxiety. ( bugging) . I dug a hole that I'm still filling back in 1 blind at a time, over a year later.

The above isn't necessarily advise just food for thought.

The advise Bridget gave is the same method I was taught to deal with no- goes.
    Last edited by shawninthesticks; 07-09-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Extending this idea, get unfrozen birds. Mix in marks with birds into your daily routine.

I too have the same general impression: dog is bored. Get him on unfrozen bird marks and shot flyers too. You can also use some birds on your blinds as well.
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

Renee Maybe I am wrong , but assumed that he is on T, because of the "been to the back pile 1000 times" comment....If he is not on the T , and is on Patterns there is def some back up FTP work to do on the T . Pattern blinds should not be ugly, they should be building confidence.....
    OP would you mind clarifying?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com