The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AKC Hunting Test Judges' Requirements--Seminar

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    What is the out-of-pocket cost for someone who is just starting out, to become an AKC Hunting Test Judge who is approved to judge at the Master level. I know that in the clubs in which I participate, the apprentice judge covers his/her own costs (lodging, and fuel...our clubs typically pay for meals for apprentice). This would include the cost of attending two seminars (i.e., fuel, lodging, meals, seminar expense, etc.). Considering this is a volunteer position, where people give up their weekends with their families, and/or give up running their own dogs, and they get maybe a $50 gift certificate in appreciation for their sacrifice, how much is a person paying out-of-pocket to give back?
    Would like to hear from clubs if the current judging requirement has made finding judges easier?

Would like to hear from handlers if they've seen "better" judging because of the current requirements?

Would like to know if less people are willing or able to fulfill all the apprenticeships and judging requirements before being able to judge?

Personally, I'm finding it to be a real PITA, more so even from the time involved than the expense. I've walked to the line hundreds of times at all levels of AKC HT, plus a few Derby, Qual & Amateur of late. I now have to start with a new seminar (scheduled for December, thanks for stepping up, Blackhawk Club), then apprentice at JH, judge twice at JH, apprentice at SH, judge twice at SH, apprentice at MH, THEN be able to judge MH. That's 7 weekend events before I can be considered "educated enough" to judge a MH. Yet I somehow managed to finish two MH titles this summer. Maybe it doesn't sound like a big deal to do all that just to judge, but, it is, in real time. For those of us with multiple dogs at various levels, the very ones who should be giving back by judging and using their experience, the time factor involved now is a very big obstacle.

Short enough season as it is, get back in the water in May if we're lucky, train hard May/June, try to start running some by end of June because the tests are closest then, run July, August, season is done in September. Doesn't give a whole lot of weekends to both run our own dogs and try to give back some. I have a lot of dogs and a lot of experience, I'm one of those who should be giving back (beyond working at events) now that I am in a position to do so, but am being encouraged not to do so by these current requirements. Whining? Maybe. But, as Ann has graciously provided the contact info for everyone's RAC rep, I will be contacting mine with my feelings on the matter, maybe with enough grumbling from clubs, there might be some revisions made to these requirements, if they are proving to be more hindrance than help in getting qualified judges.

To answer the question of cost: seminar plus apprenticeships, for me in driving range, no motel, about $300-400, before I can judge a MH. Less significant to me than the time factor, but not insignificant either.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Twice I've refused to sign the apprentice sheet because the apprentice failed to fulfill his responsibilities.

When I apprenticed, I was given the job of sitting on the bucket and I said that I'd not do that if given the chance. As a result, I try to make the apprentice a member of the judging team. Apprentices don't score for the record and a couple of other things but I want them to think and perform as though they were full-fledged judges. Anything else just wastes both of our time.

I agree with Eric...the judge has to have some sort of commitment to teach or show or how ever you word it to the apprentice for them to come away with some useful info on what is required and what makes for a good judge....It is somewhat distracting to a judge to have to share time and info with them instead of devoting 100% to the co-judge and talking test set up....Explaining the why's ,the if's and and's takes commitment ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

The only part of the new requirement I like is if you are already a judge, you need to run a dog and pass at least once in the stake or higher you are judging ever 7 yrs. I find that helps the judges remember what it is like to be on the line. But having to apprentice 2 times at all levels is very hard since you cannot judge the same leve 2 days in a row. That part really needs to change. HRC has the same type of program but the apprentice judge is one of the judges not a 3rd wheel , and they do need to start at the bottom and work up, but you can do 2 days in a row and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    The only part of the new requirement I like is if you are already a judge, you need to run a dog and pass at least once in the stake or higher you are judging ever 7 yrs. I find that helps the judges remember what it is like to be on the line. But having to apprentice 2 times at all levels is very hard since you cannot judge the same leve 2 days in a row. That part really needs to change. HRC has the same type of program but the apprentice judge is one of the judges not a 3rd wheel , and they do need to start at the bottom and work up, but you can do 2 days in a row and be done.
    Is this new? I believe you still only apprentice once per level. ( unless thay changed it ) The requirement to move up a level to judge is 2 assignments at the lower level.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Would like to hear from clubs if the current judging requirement has made finding judges easier?
    I don't think it caused any difference this year for us.
    To answer the question of cost: seminar plus apprenticeships, for me in driving range, no motel, about $300-400, before I can judge a MH. Less significant to me than the time factor, but not insignificant either.
    Kim, I get what you are saying, but, IMOHO, having to have lower stakes assignments under your belt is a good thing in the long run. Running and judging are really different and as you know too well, the more moving parts, the more can go wrong. Learning time management, handlers mechanics, and just evaluating and documenting the dogs is not something that comes naturally, and working thru the ranks is a good way to learn it and be a better judge in the long haul. A persons attitude helps in this also. I think you will make a good judge and am glad to see your interested.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Sorry, I did not mean Apprentice 2 times again just that you needed to judge 2 times at that level but not 2 days in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I agree with Eric...the judge has to have some sort of commitment to teach or show or how ever you word it to the apprentice for them to come away with some useful info on what is required and what makes for a good judge....It is somewhat distracting to a judge to have to share time and info with them instead of devoting 100% to the co-judge and talking test set up....Explaining the why's ,the if's and and's takes commitment ....Steve S
    What happens when the apprentice judge knows more than the judges they're apprenticing under, should the apprentice step up and teach them? I know several lower stake judges; who have never passed a master test, never trained a master dog. Yes they are qualified to judge the lower levels, but does that give them more knowledge-experience than an apprentice who has trained-up and titled several MHs. I'm sure you could judge shop for particular lower stake judges to train under, but I think most apprentices will just take what's in the available in the area, sit drooling on their bucket for 8 hrs. and keep their mouth shut .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-25-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Presque Isle Retriever Club of Erie PA will sponsor an AKC seminar on December 7 somewhere near Erie PA. The details are being finalized. The presenter will be Jerry Mann. Further details will follow. Please check the PIRC Facebook page.

Please spread the word!
    Bob Samios
    Hillock's Hot on the Trail CGCA, JH, RN, BN
    MACH Hillock's Bonny Broom CDX, RE, MH, XF, MXS, MJS, MXP, MJP, WCX, CCA, VCX, CGCA
    Hillock's Magical Forest Walk UD, RE, MH, MX, MXJ, MXP, MJP. WCX, VCX (2002-2011)

Made the suggestion at my last seminar with Jerry to have the AKC reps develop webinars or VTC's with positive sign-in and interactive features. May not be perfect, but could help fill in the gaps. It's the 21st century -you can get a PhD online....

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    If there is one, please let me know. I find the new judging requirements overly odious as it is, but now finding a seminar in reasonable distance has become problematic
    I totally agree, I don't get why they make it so hard for good judges to stay current. If they keep this up we'll have about three "approved" judges in each region to do every hunt test.