The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AKC Hunting Test Judges' Requirements--Seminar

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    What happens when the apprentice judge knows more than the judges they're apprenticing under, should the apprentice step up and teach them? I know several lower stake judges; who have never passed a master test, never trained a master dog. Yes they are qualified to judge the lower levels, but does that give them more knowledge-experience than an apprentice who has trained-up and titled several MHs. I'm sure you could judge shop for particular lower stake judges to train under, but I think most apprentices will just take what's in the available in the area, sit drooling on their bucket for 8 hrs. and keep their mouth shut .

YES...but ...in the way of asking questions that leads to increasing knowledge not flaunting it...Some people just don't want the hassle of the master test...they like dealing with the young dogs and simpler test...
    When it comes to the ability to judge and the ability to train or run dogs they do not always go together...The system for qualifying judges is far from perfect...Just like the Ft judges ....run dogs and get ask to sit in the chair....I don't have the answers to improve the system or the judges that are already in the chairs...There are fewer and fewer judges that are willing to jump through all the hoops to move up or stay in the game....Some people have raised and trained their last dog and have tons of experience that will be out of the pool in 7 or less years....Being a no participant doesn't over ride years of experience...Just as running the Master National makes one qualified to judge it....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    And you did a heck of a job doing that at my first hunt test ,thanks
    Mine too. I would run under Mr. Otey any time.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Shawn and Steve Thank you for the compliments. That is a very good reward to me...
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA)
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised

www.sundownlabs.com

I hope to try this at some point when I have taken my current dog as far as we can go. I would probably be considered a PITA by the judges I was apprenticing with because I would treat the assignment like I treat a training day with a good pro - it's time to ask questions and learn. The pro already knows what he is doing.

Judging can only help with training, as you would be forced to really think about bird placement in the context of the various concepts and how they fit in on a particular set of grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Twice I've refused to sign the apprentice sheet because the apprentice failed to fulfill his responsibilities.

When I apprenticed, I was given the job of sitting on the bucket and I said that I'd not do that if given the chance. As a result, I try to make the apprentice a member of the judging team. Apprentices don't score for the record and a couple of other things but I want them to think and perform as though they were full-fledged judges. Anything else just wastes both of our time.
    Steve Wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    I hope to try this at some point when I have taken my current dog as far as we can go. I would probably be considered a PITA by the judges I was apprenticing with because I would treat the assignment like I treat a training day with a good pro - it's time to ask questions and learn. The pro already knows what he is doing.

Judging can only help with training, as you would be forced to really think about bird placement in the context of the various concepts and how they fit in on a particular set of grounds.
    You sound like a good one to have join the judges pool...Here are two questions to ask ....#1 Why are you putting that bird there ( instead of x place) ...#2 What answers are you expecting to get from this set up ..? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    What happens when the apprentice judge knows more than the judges they're apprenticing under, should the apprentice step up and teach them? I know several lower stake judges; who have never passed a master test, never trained a master dog. Yes they are qualified to judge the lower levels, but does that give them more knowledge-experience than an apprentice who has trained-up and titled several MHs. I'm sure you could judge shop for particular lower stake judges to train under, but I think most apprentices will just take what's in the available in the area, sit drooling on their bucket for 8 hrs. and keep their mouth shut .
    Interesting. I think it's easier to watch two dogs run and decide which one did a better job vs watch two dogs run and decide if they got a 7 or an 8 based on the standard.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    You sound like a good one to have join the judges pool...Here are two questions to ask ....#1 Why are you putting that bird there ( instead of x place) ...#2 What answers are you expecting to get from this set up ..? Steve S
    Exactly right. If you would let such an opportunity go by without asking those questions, you are probably cheating yourself as well.
    Steve Wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Interesting. I think it's easier to watch two dogs run and decide which one did a better job vs watch two dogs run and decide if they got a 7 or an 8 based on the standard.

/Paul
    When you set up a series do you have a preconceived idea of what you are expecting the dog to do? Like ,I think the average dog will do this blind in 4 whistles and they will come in certain places along the route...OR ..most dogs will have a longer hunt ,bigger area hunt on X bird..Steve S