The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC Hunting Test Judges' Requirements--Seminar

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    For example, I asked someone from MT to judge and the only AKC seminars listed for the remainder of 2013 (when I checked) are in CA and TX.
    I'm heading up to the one in Sac. CA I think it's about 9.5 hrs for me, but I'm making a trip of it, visiting, training etc. I hope it will be enjoyable I am definitely not one who is known to be great at sitting still. Not sure how I got conned into going, all of the sudden my name was on a list. I guess at least I'll have a seminar, if the club can tie me to a chair, maybe they'll get me to apprentice one day .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-09-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Section 6. Judges’ Eligibility. Anyone
    at least 21 years of age and in good standing with the American
    Kennel Club may be approved to judge a Hunting Test subject to the
    eligibility requirements in force at the time. It is the
    responsibility of the clubs to determine the “qualifications” of
    each prospective judge by researching experience accumulated through
    training, actual hunting over dogs, handling dogs in field events and
    prior judging activities. Clubs may at their discretion develop a
    questionnaire in order to request background information on
    prospective judges.
    Prior to Becoming an Approved Judge. For
    new judges after January 1, 2012: (1) Seminar: Attend an AKC
    Retriever Hunting Test seminar. This first seminar allows an
    individual to judge for three years assuming the apprenticeship
    requirement is met. (2) Apprenticeship: Successfully apprenticed at
    least once at the level being judged. (Club’s responsibility to
    monitor.)
    Prior to Becoming Qualified to Judge the Senior/ Master Test. After January 1, 2012, an individual judging the Senior or Master test for
    the first time must have judged at least twice at the testing level
    immediately below the one they are being asked to judge. (Club’s
    responsibility to monitor.)
    MaintainingOne’s Ability to Judge: (1)
    Second Seminar: If an individual has judged within three years of
    attending the first seminar, that individual is required to attend a
    second seminar to maintain the ability to continue to judge. If an
    individual has not judged within three years of attending the first
    seminar, another “first” seminar is required prior to being
    allowed to judge. However, if you have earned six (6) points at the
    Master level, you do not need to take the second seminar. Anyone that
    has attended two or more seminars (one prior to judging and one after
    having judged) is exempt from any further seminar attendance. (2)
    Written Test: After the second seminar (one prior to judging and one
    after having judged), an individual must complete a written
    self-administered AKC test every four years
    and
    pass the test with a score of 90% or better
    (3) Must remain an Active Judge: An individual must judge at any
    level at least once every four (4) years to maintain eligibility.
    Individuals who have not judged within the four-year period of the
    mandatory written examination will be required to attend the Seminar.
    (4) Must Remain an Active Handler: An individual must have handled a
    qualifying dog at the level he is being asked to judge or higher
    within seven (7) years of the date of the event. (Club’s
    responsibility to monitor.) Individuals who have not judged within
    the four-year period of the mandatory written examination will be
    required to attend the Seminar. (1) The combined number of points
    required for the two Judges in any division or level shall be six (6)
    at that level or higher. Judges accumulate points for each level
    judged at the completion of an assignment. (2) Handling Experience:
    At the Master test level and each division thereof, one Judge shall have
    qualified a dog or dogs (5) times at the Master level. At the Senior
    and Junior test levels and each division thereof, one Judge shall
    have qualified a dog or dogs four (4) times either at the level being
    judged or at a higher test level. Monitoring the qualifications of
    judges is the responsibility of the event-giving club.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Copied from the AKC website:
    The AKC Retriever Hunting Test Advisory Committee

It is the responsibility of the RHT Advisory Committee to provide input to the AKC Performance Events Department with regard to the Retriever Hunting Test Regulations. This may involve clarification of existing Regulations or new Regulations that are felt to enhance the sport. Topics for Advisory Committee discussion may originate from RHT participants or from the Committee members themselves. The Performance Events Department may also direct ideas to the Committee for consideration.

The Performance Events Department values the input of the Advisory Committee but is under no obligation to agree or act upon their suggestions. The Department may also, on occasion, act without Committee input.

Members of the Retriever Hunting Test Advisory Committee are:

Term Expires at end of:

Eastern Time Zone Representative

Robert Rascoe rrascoe@triad.rr.com 2016

242 Fairfax Drive 336-765-9420 (H)

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Rocky Mountain Time Zone Representative

Jeff Schoonover jschoonover@verusboc.com 2013

1432 Red Fox Circle 970-686-0714 (H)

Windsor, CO 80550 970-227-1284 (C)

Central Time Zone Representative

Richard Pyka uprwoodlndsrtvrs@hotmail.com 2014

W 235 N 262-229-3031 (H)

9544 Mt. Vernon Dr.

Colgate, WI 53017

Pacific Time Zone Representative

Tom Quarles autumnretrievers@juno.com 2015

12725 Jordan Road 360-691-2650 (off)

Arlington, WA 98223-9409 425-377-3793 (C)

RHTAC Chairman

Bill Teague ta9@hughes.net

734 CR 630 936-559-9007 (H)

Nacogdoches, TX 75964 713-252-3918 (C)
    Bob/Ann Heise

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Yup!!! But The Performance Events Department values the input of the Advisory Committee but is under no obligation to agree or act upon their suggestions. The Department may also, on occasion, act without Committee input.

While you are at it get them to eliminate the stoopit stick and the MANDATORY double blind.

Time for change regards

Bubba

PS- Hay Chris the compatibility mode thing works- not too sure why but it is good to have an Enter key again. Sure glad it didn't mess up the Delete key.
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

What is the out-of-pocket cost for someone who is just starting out, to become an AKC Hunting Test Judge who is approved to judge at the Master level. I know that in the clubs in which I participate, the apprentice judge covers his/her own costs (lodging, and fuel...our clubs typically pay for meals for apprentice). This would include the cost of attending two seminars (i.e., fuel, lodging, meals, seminar expense, etc.). Considering this is a volunteer position, where people give up their weekends with their families, and/or give up running their own dogs, and they get maybe a $50 gift certificate in appreciation for their sacrifice, how much is a person paying out-of-pocket to give back?
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 07-09-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Bob/Ann Heise

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Thumbs up

I know that it cost me dearly to get my judge's number and license. I went to St. Louis for my first seminar at my expense. I apprenticed at Middle Tennessee in Junior and covered my expenses. I apprenticed at Northeast Tennessee for my Senior qualification at my expense. I attended my second seminar at the Kress's place in Alabama in a driving rain at my expense. All this said I absolutely do NOT regret one dime or one mile I had to drive to get this done. I absolutely love this "dog Game " of ours and would do it again in a "Georgia Second". I have judged in Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Ohio Alabama and Georgia and have met some of the nicest people. I only judge at the Junior and Senior level at my own choice as it lets me connect with the new ones coming into the game. I believe that if someone leaves a HT with a good feeling regardless of how FIDO has done is a thing we need more of.... Just my .02 cents worth. http://www.akc.org/judges_directory/...bvg_string=992

I have a pretty open calender for this Fall and if it's within about a 10 hour drive, give me call and I can help out..
    Last edited by Sundown49 aka Otey B; 07-09-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown49 aka Otey B View Post
    I know that it cost me dearly to get my judge's number and license. I went to St. Louis for my first seminar at my expense. I apprenticed at Middle Tennessee in Junior and covered my expenses. I apprenticed at Northeast Tennessee for my Senior qualification at my expense. I attended my second seminar at the Kress's place in Alabama in a driving rain at my expense. All this said I absolutely do NOT regret one dime or one mile I had to drive to get this done. I absolutely love this "dog Game " of ours and would do it again in a "Georgia Second". I have judged in Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Ohio Alabama and Georgia and have met some of the nicest people. I only judge at the Junior and Senior level at my own choice as it lets me connect with the new ones coming into the game. I believe that if someone leaves a HT with a good feeling regardless of how FIDO has done is a thing we need more of.... Just my .02 cents worth. http://www.akc.org/judges_directory/...bvg_string=992

I have a pretty open calender for this Fall and if it's within about a 10 hour drive, give me call and I can help out..
    And you did a heck of a job doing that at my first hunt test ,thanks
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fryer View Post
    This rule is killing new judges in our area. With the rule of Apprentice Jr, judge twice then Move up to Sr, then up to Master. In our area with the amount of tests and what not it would take someone 3 + years to be able to judge Master. That is of course they do not want to handle a dog at some point along the way and Judge every test. The end result is that the few Master Judges we do have in our area are way over worked. On paper the rule makes sense, but for areas where there are not a lot of events and Judges it is hurting us more then helping us.

Our board has been discussing this lately in depth, sometype of change needs to happen. I don't think that a guy that has passed on test should be able to judge, but people that have titled dogs at that level should be able to judge at that level.
    Interesting point. We have tons of HT here in MN/WI and I've been grumbling about the time investment now required, to apprentice once at each JH/SH, judge twice, before moving up a level. This new requirement is a hassle for anyone now, but, if in an area with few HT, really puts a damper on getting new judges. It's my own fault for not paying attention to the grandfather dealy and getting the MH apprentice done after I did the first seminar, when I realized what the new requirements were, it was 2 months too late and now I have to start over. Apprentice at JH then judge there twice, repeat for SH, before can judge MH. Think they might have left in a waiver of sorts for those who actively run their dogs and have the passes to prove it.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

The new apprentice requirements is a shame. A person like myself that trained and handled my own dog to a master title without a pro's hand over the dogs head in competition, I have to start at the very bottom to work my way up to judge even a senior level test. I attended my first seminar and then was informed of the uphill battle it would be to judge at a higher stake. Then the last couple years seeing what the hunt test game has morphed in to with extremely watered down tests and not agreeing with them, I decided to not pursue that route any longer. If I were able to obtain all the steps needed to judge at a higher level, my tests would be difficult and fair but it seems those judges sit at the line once and are never called again. Why spend my time being able to give back to the sport when tests are becoming easier and there are 800 dogs qualified for the Master National?
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH QAA (Shooter)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Interesting point. We have tons of HT here in MN/WI and I've been grumbling about the time investment now required, to apprentice once at each JH/SH, judge twice, before moving up a level. This new requirement is a hassle for anyone now, but, if in an area with few HT, really puts a damper on getting new judges. It's my own fault for not paying attention to the grandfather dealy and getting the MH apprentice done after I did the first seminar, when I realized what the new requirements were, it was 2 months too late and now I have to start over. Apprentice at JH then judge there twice, repeat for SH, before can judge MH. Think they might have left in a waiver of sorts for those who actively run their dogs and have the passes to prove it.
    That's just crazy, at one point you were qualified to judge, then because you didn't pay attention to a grandfather clause you no longer know how to judge? I just posted on another thread that I was trying to introduce a new guy, (he has a puppy by my Gus), to hunt test, looked for nearby HT on EE only to find where we used to have four or five, we now have one. So if some local guy was asked to judge, not only would he or she have to search far and wide for a judging seminar, they would also have to travel to another State to apprentice.

I disagree with the apprentice clause for two reasons, 1) I think having an apprentice tag along for the duration of a trial would distract judges from the task at hand, I believe a tight two person bond forms over three or four days and that leads toward a high level of focus and hopefully good test and trial. 2) I believe that if a club pays attention and makes an effort to put a new guy with an experienced proven mentor, the junior judge is going to learn more about good judging than he would as a tag along apprentice.

John