The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bird dryer idea, what do you think?

Default bird dryer idea, what do you think?

I'm thinking of buying these saw horses, and drilling holes in a board such as a 2x4 for beaks, to hang ducks. Is there a down side I don't see?

They made by Trojan, 35", and Amazon says shipping weight is 16 lbs. I'm not trying to save $ over the commercial ones, just looking for something that won't pinch my fingers and will stand up to bouncing around in the back of the truck.

There are some 27" ones but I think too short?
    Renee P

Here are a couple of photos of what our club uses, of course you can make one on a smaller scale

IMG00087-20110513-0934.jpg

IMG00088-20110513-0935.jpg
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

or a row of nails / screws on each side in inch spaced pairs. holds by the neck just under head. as sometimes the beaks get shot off
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

wood will mildew.....think about using metal or PVC
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I thought the Trojan saw horses I found might be a little easier to set up than the wood ones?
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    Here are a couple of photos of what our club uses, of course you can make one on a smaller scale

IMG00087-20110513-0934.jpg

IMG00088-20110513-0935.jpg
    Do you know how tall these are? Is 36" overkill? Could I go with the shorter 27", presumably lighter and less bulky one?
    Last edited by mitty; 01-20-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    Renee P

Try here, http://www.teamtakeem.com/store/inde...&productId=187 There are others from other suppliers. If something is a pain to use you won't use it.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Some people in other threads were warning of pinched fingers, but I couldn't tell which model. Is this it?

I agree, if it is inconvenient I won't use it, and I have a little arthritis in my fingers so if I have to worry about pinchy finger situations I won't use it either.
    Last edited by mitty; 01-20-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Renee P

That one we use at the lines. I don't like it. The one John showed is much better IMO. The leg parts one the one I showed is about 24"
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Some people in other threads were warning of pinched fingers, but I couldn't tell which model. Is this it?

I agree, if it is inconvenient I won't use it, and I have a little arthritis in my fingers so if I have to worry about pinchy finger situations I won't use it either.
    I use this one. It is big and heavy and will get your fingers if you let it. I bought mine years ago and expect to will it to the club. It doesn't take up as much room as a saw horse and will last forever. It folds up into a bag that's about 6"X24". I don't think you could break it if you tried. It's great for the club since it's so substantial.

I only referred you to the other one by price. It looks like a good "training" drier.

If you can train a dog, shoot fliers and enter a dog on EE and make it to the trial I think you can assemble a duck drier without pinching your fingers. At least not too often.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham