The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Master tests

Default Master tests

I hope the AKC master tests don't make their marks and blinds longer than about 150 yards. Otherwise the tests will simulate field trials with ridicules distances that no way resemble a day's shoot. It is so easy for handlers and trainers to participate and do well in field trials and then want to bring the garbage into hunt tests. Qualified judges shouldn't have to resort to long distances in order to test dogs at their level. Lets keep the master tests so that they actually are realistic to hunting scenarios. If you want to run long, stay in field trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    It is so easy for handlers and trainers to participate and do well in field trials
    Since you think that's the case, you ought to run 'em sometime. And BTW good FT judges can make a 125 yard mark really tough too...distance isn't everything.
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Get real hunt tests are not real senarios of hunting. Hunt test are long gone resembling hunting. Also you need to run some field trials. Distance is the least of the problem. Terrain, wind, suction, bird placement etc.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Get real hunt tests are not real senarios of hunting. Hunt test are long gone resembling hunting. Also you need to run some field trials. Distance is the least of the problem. Terrain, wind, suction, bird placement etc.
    Amen to that.
    Tom Dorroh

Hunt test should be about testing a dog's (and trainer's) skill sets, not imitate the hunt. Any dog worth running (and training) knows the difference between a hunt, a test and a training day by the time they are past the JH level anyway.

And as far as skill sets needed to hunt go, no one can convince me that having a dog that can't run blinds and marks well past 200 yards is acceptable has not spent much time hunting geese on wide open fields or divers in big open waters. Seriously, if 150 yards seems too much for you and your dog IMO you are not ready to run MH tests at shorter distances either.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    It is so easy for handlers and trainers to participate and do well in field trials and then want to bring the garbage into hunt tests. .
    Where did you get the idea that those who field trial are interested in changing hunt tests? You need to go to field trials and get to know those who do. They are too busy training for trials and running trials, changing hunt tests would be the farthest thing from their minds.

If hunt tests are being changed, they are being changed by those who participate in hunt tests.

Helen
    Don's girls:
    FC AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia - a Carbon daughter and now a grandma (my avatar)
    AFC Flyway's Long Tall Sally - Ruby's daughter
    Flyway's Iron Lady (Maggie) - Ruby's granddaughter. Maggie's the new puppy in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    Hunt test should be about testing a dog's (and trainer's) skill sets, not imitate the hunt. Any dog worth running (and training) knows the difference between a hunt, a test and a training day by the time they are past the JH level anyway.

And as far as skill sets needed to hunt go, no one can convince me that having a dog that can't run blinds and marks well past 200 yards is acceptable has not spent much time hunting geese on wide open fields or divers in big open waters. Seriously, if 150 yards seems too much for you and your dog IMO you are not ready to run MH tests at shorter distances either.

Bert
    I have witnessed more than a few MH titled dogs whose "skill sets" degraded exponentially in a hunting environment. A hunt test degree does not a hunting dog make. Today's hunt tests are a nearly sterile environment. Technical ponds do not duplicate or even resemble conditions on Chesapeake bay, Great Bay, Long Island sound or Cape Cod Bay, especially on the type of day when divers and seaducks are on the move. All of my dogs have had the alphabet soup of multiple Hunt Test titles and 2 of them were QAA. All needed a couple seasons of the real thing to become proficient waterfowl dogs.

And, to address the 200 yard big water retrieve of a diver, I'm firing up the boat. The fact that it is that far out means it more than likely is a cripple. I don't want to watch my dog swim around chasing a bird for 20 minutes that has an excellent chance of getting away.

I'm an 8 point Master judge and I have never set up a 150 yard mark in a Master test. It isn't neccessary.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    Bert
    your example doesn't require a master level dog...let me know when you have a 150 yd blind sitting out in the open water out past the decoys at a test....I would love to run that one...

Big beach balls regards -

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    I have witnessed more than a few MH titled dogs whose "skill sets" degraded exponentially in a hunting environment. A hunt test degree does not a hunting dog make. Today's hunt tests are a nearly sterile environment. Technical ponds do not duplicate or even resemble conditions on Chesapeake bay, Great Bay, Long Island sound or Cape Cod Bay, especially on the type of day when divers and seaducks are on the move. All of my dogs have had the alphabet soup of multiple Hunt Test titles and 2 of them were QAA. All needed a couple seasons of the real thing to become proficient waterfowl dogs.

And, to address the 200 yard big water retrieve of a diver, I'm firing up the boat. The fact that it is that far out means it more than likely is a cripple. I don't want to watch my dog swim around chasing a bird for 20 minutes that has an excellent chance of getting away.

I'm an 8 point Master judge and I have never set up a 150 yard mark in a Master test. It isn't neccessary.-Paul
    I agree Paul. A good diver hunt on rough sea's can chew up any HT/FT dog.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

You should come hunt the Columbia River with me in a few of the only free flowing sections of the river if you never think a dog will have to run a demanding blind over 150 yards in a real hunting situation. Your dog retrieves your shots, mine will retrieve my shots. I guarantee we'll be sitting around waiting for you to finish shooting because you'll be in your boat picking up most of your birds if you shoot more than one at a time.