The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Master tests

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I hope the AKC master tests don't make their marks and blinds longer than about 150 yards. Otherwise the tests will simulate field trials with ridicules distances that no way resemble a day's shoot. It is so easy for handlers and trainers to participate and do well in field trials and then want to bring the garbage into hunt tests. Qualified judges shouldn't have to resort to long distances in order to test dogs at their level. Lets keep the master tests so that they actually are realistic to hunting scenarios. If you want to run long, stay in field trials.
    Train or complain, you choice. Guns up....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    You should come hunt the Columbia River with me in a few of the only free flowing sections of the river if you never think a dog will have to run a demanding blind over 150 yards in a real hunting situation. Your dog retrieves your shots, mine will retrieve my shots. I guarantee we'll be sitting around waiting for you to finish shooting because you'll be in your boat picking up most of your birds if you shoot more than one at a time.
    Ok, Ok, Ok, now that i'm off the floor from lauging, lets not forget Chessies mostly retrieve sandwiches and lost duck hunting hats....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Ok, Ok, Ok, now that i'm off the floor from lauging, lets not forget Chessies mostly retrieve sandwiches and lost duck hunting hats....

/Paul
    yes, that's about as funny as big water and diver hunts in Eugene, OR.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    yes, that's about as funny as big water and diver hunts in Eugene, OR.... lol
    We should do silt coos hunt this year, provided you can get out of bed early enough

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I hope the AKC master tests don't make their marks and blinds longer than about 150 yards. Otherwise the tests will simulate field trials with ridicules distances that no way resemble a day's shoot. It is so easy for handlers and trainers to participate and do well in field trials and then want to bring the garbage into hunt tests. Qualified judges shouldn't have to resort to long distances in order to test dogs at their level. Lets keep the master tests so that they actually are realistic to hunting scenarios. If you want to run long, stay in field trials.
    I hate to pile on a new poster, and I agree with him in that I believe HT judges should stick to distances stipulated in the HT rules whatever those are, but I agree with the many who have stated that long (over 200 yard) retrieves are quite common in real world hunting situations. I'd say that for me, one out of every three hunts involves a crippled bird sailing a long way before coming down and swimming out of sight. I'm pleased my dogs are able to mark birds that fall at a distance and handle well if they didn't see the bird fall. As to his opinion that long distance test are brought into hunt test by field trailers, I have no idea. I know that being a field trailer, I would stick to the rules if I were judging a hunt test. I know most field trial judges would take great pride in being able to set up tough short marks to test dogs without tricking them.

John

I know very few HT judges who are "Field Trialers" and try to make a HT a FT. I do have some agreement that a test need no be long or, contain trickery and gimmicky stuff to be challenging for the dogs and test them to the "Standard". I have reservations about how some HT judges perceive their "interpretations" of the work performed. I have watched a few judges time and time again lack consistency in their review of a dogs performance and who gets an orange ribbon. Because of my opinion(only my opinion) I'd rather take my chances at losing to a really good dog than "failing" upon an opinion and interpretation of a written standard.

AKC HT should have a simple book of approved test set ups, combinations and distances. Deviations should not be allowed to be a legal test. This would allow any joe-shmoe test chair to grab his book, confirm the test is legal and allow the HT to continue.

This would give the amateur trainer a handy set up guide. It would also simplify judging and allow just about anyone to step into a position and perform an adequate job without having the grumbling and complaining about test set ups which seems to happen all too often.

I went hunting with Fishduck last year and our HT dogs made a few REALLY LONG retrieves, much longer than what one would experience at a HT.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Hunting the prairie or marsh, I'll wade out and pick up the decoy-distance birds if I have to. I want a dog for deep water, long cripples or sailers.

I can tell you for a fact that long "real hunting" retrieves do occur.

The most impressive retrieve any of my dogs has ever been credited with (by others) was about 4 years ago on a Kansas pheasant hunt. We were (finally!) blocking on the long tip of a section corner and one of the walkers shot a rooster that sailed downhill back towards the middle of the field; his German shorthair was hunting the wrong direction and doesn't run blinds. My guy had marked it. Rolled him out there and he stepped on it. Easily 400 yds. That guy still talks about that retrieve.

I'm guessing this thread goes over 15 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I'm guessing this thread goes over 15 pages.
    been several others just like it go the distance....