RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Master tests

13K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  copterdoc 
#1 ·
I hope the AKC master tests don't make their marks and blinds longer than about 150 yards. Otherwise the tests will simulate field trials with ridicules distances that no way resemble a day's shoot. It is so easy for handlers and trainers to participate and do well in field trials and then want to bring the garbage into hunt tests. Qualified judges shouldn't have to resort to long distances in order to test dogs at their level. Lets keep the master tests so that they actually are realistic to hunting scenarios. If you want to run long, stay in field trials.

#48 ·
z

Here is the link to the set ups at the last MN. I really wouldnt say distance was the issue!!

http://masternational.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/2012-master-national-test-diagrams/

Surely with so many dogs registered time restraints would not allow for the big marks. Anyway I wouldnt mind seeing big marks; Id rather them than the in your face memory bird!! Besides, my dog will see all of the above come hunting season!!

#50 · (Edited)
Thanks, Bubba, for posting the info on the Retriever Hunt Test Advisory Committee. It appears that the change from 100 yds. to 150 yds. max. was a suggestion that followed this process before it became a new rule. It either was a suggestion made to the RHTAC who agreed with it or they thought of it and then passed the suggestion to AKC ... or the change originated within the Performance Events Dept.

I knew I could not remember voting on it at any club meeting. This explains why.

Bubba makes a good suggestion. If you wish to express an opinion about the rule change from 100 to 150, contact your regional rep on the RHTAC and/or contact the chairman Bill Teague. Field trialers can't be blamed for hunt test changes and vice versa.

Helen

#52 ·
I Thumbs Up = Tellus Calhoun :) We set the marks at 150 because of the factors = none ...very little cover and rollings hills. Kind of a reverse hip pocket on both sides...if you looked at the bird placement you could figure out how to pick them up...Time management was not a issue as the extra yardage took less than a min to cover....time is lost rebirding and waiting for guns to be set...I get the guns up and ready before the working dog has reached the line...you save 1 to 2 min per dog...that means in a 60 dog field 1 to 2 hrs per series with just making sure guns are up rather than waithing till the working dog is back to the line....we do it as pro trainers when working lots of dog. I do not think the distance hurts it shows marking rather than just getting to an area that is close and rutting around and calling it a mark. But a good judge should be able to set up a test in a parking lot and get answers with or without distance...but sometimes distance is needed....I start judging when a dog and handler as a team get in trouble....I want to see how well they get out and handle the situation....

#53 ·
In fact, the only Master test that I've ever had to scrap, once we were running, had three marks that didn't total a 150 yards.

I'm certain this will sound a bit trite but...yards are what you make of them. Both blinds and marks have three characteristics...a beginning, a middle, and an end. If all a judge can do to try to test a dog is to stretch out the middle, in most cases I would say s/he doesn't have much imagination.

Three round the horn regards,

#54 ·
In fact, the only Master test that I've ever had to scrap, once we were running, had three marks that didn't total a 150 yards.

I'm certain this will sound a bit trite but...yards are what you make of them. Both blinds and marks have three characteristics...a beginning, a middle, and an end.
Doesn't sound trite. Toughest blind I've ever run was 55 yards. Big downhill lie right to left, with a culvert, nasty wind also pushing right to left, lose dog in cover if a bit off line or down the slope. Judges said if you aim high and let dog drift to it you're done. ;-)

12 whistle 55 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.