The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip of a lifetime - ALCAN Highway

Thanks for starting this Harry! As we plan on meeting you up there, we will be watching this thread as well!!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

I said I only plan on driving 8 hours a day. If the fishing is good, the plan might just go out the window. See ya in the field. Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Harry just between you and me and the fence post here- does your Parole Officer know you are headed out overseas?

Just curious regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

See the story of the kid from Sandpoint, ID riding his bike for charity get attacked by a wolf while riding in Canada?

I have what is not a story from a thanksgiving morning archery elk hunt I did alone above Lake Cle Elum. Nobody believed that I said it was wolves until three years later when the A-hole gammies allowed us archery guys to carry a side arm while hunting and then confirmed we had a wolf pack in the area. It was the scariest day of my life in the woods. My .44 never leaves my side in the woods anymore after that day.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 07-11-2013 at 02:31 AM.

how far away from each other are the gas stations and are there motels?

Quote Originally Posted by pat addis View Post
    how far away from each other are the gas stations and are there motels?
    I don't know about anyone else, but we didn't have a problem with either one of those. We weren't sure what we were getting into(since this was a roadtrip that took a northern turn when we hit Denver, so there wasn't any planning into this trip). So we bought a couple extra gas cans just in case. We never even put gas in them and had no problems at all finding gas stations along the way. When we had enough driving we found hotels to stay in that seemed to be similar to the gas stations(distance wise). With the gas your going to pay a premium price that is a fact, plus they measure in liters not gallons. One thing we were strongly advised to not do was drive after dark, due to the biggame animals sleeping on the roads at night. There were a couple nights we pushed it a bit and drove into the night a little bit and I have pics of bighorn sheep running in front of my truck and sleeping all around the truck as we carefully drove through them. The route we chose to get to the ALCAN was up through Yellowstone which dumped us out in Montana and then crossed the border in Eureka MT, if my memory serves me correctly.
    Last edited by RJW; 07-11-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Sounds like a fun trip!
    LOL, it was indeed, definitely a trip to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    With the gas your going to pay a premium price that is a fact, plus they measure in liters not gallons.
    Yup .... and currently up here it's running $1.25 + or - a litre depending on which province you are in, with diesel being within a couple of cents of that.

By next year ... who knows!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by HarryWilliams View Post
    Considering driving up the west route to Alaska in the summer of 2014. Has anyone made this trip?
    I've driven the Alaska Highway many times however that was all about 30 years ago.
    By the "west route" are you referring to the Cassiar Highway? The Cassiar is spectacular when the weather is clear but sloppy weather can really limit the scenery. If your schedule is flexible I would suggest that you go up one highway and down the other. Make your choice based on weather when you get to the junction. Same advice for the Dawson City route.
    One word of caution is that it is really easy to overdo things when the sun is up 20+ hrs/day. Pace yourself, 8 hours behind the wheel is plenty.

George