The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Most memorable FT moments - Good and Bad

Shreveport

Running the derby with my dog Kate against another nice dog named Lottie. Final series both girls have about front footed every bird so far, big water double and they throw the memory bird from the tip of a point to a little round island. Both girls thought it was a set up and would not beach on that island and had to be picked up.

Don
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by mbcorsini View Post
    My best moment was my first. My dogs are trained by me, a full time working person, I entered my first Derby and we finished. We only jammed, but that green ribbon was like a blue for me. Everyone got hugs and I drove those 3 hours home so high. It was great.

Wasnt there some confusion there at the end? You were the Marshall, and you thought you were dropped an 18 looked like a 19 on the callback sheet, or something to that effect. Turned out you were looking for yourself to run the last series!
    Scott

HR Kiowa's Li'l Girl "Abby" MH, WCX, CGC
    Kiowa's Carillon "Bella" WC

This is why I follow this site. Great stories everybody. Keep em coming!

The first time I won an Open. Check out who was running. This dog did not see a Pro till after his win.
    https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=1363
    Winning the Qual and the Derby at the same trial with two different dogs that I raised and did all the basics on.
    Winning the Derby and Qual 2nd with the same dog at 21 months old in the same weekend. I bred him, raised him and did all the basics.
    Last edited by Mark Sehon; 07-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sehon View Post
    The first time I won an Open. Check out who was running. This dog did not see a Pro till after his win.
    https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=1363
    Winning the Qual and the Derby at the same trial with two different dogs that I raised and did all the basics on.
    Winning the Derby and Qual 2nd with the same dog at 21 months old in the same weekend. I bred him, raised him and did all the basics.
    holy smokes talk about the field being loaded!

1988 or 89 running the derby with my first decent dog, Preacher. There were some good dogs there including Jazztime, Ed Minoggie with Painters Major Motion. Roy McFall had one or two good ones and Mike Edwards (very young then, but now a veterinary surgeon) had a really good Golden. I'm probably forgetting someone. Anyway, the field was loaded. Preacher wasn't even a year old, but held his own. He had placed in one derby already. This particular derby went 4 series that day and they could not find a winner...

So, the judges called 5 or 6 of us back for the 5th series the following morning... Water marks. The trials was in an area of Alaska known as Big Lake. About 40 miles out of Anchorage. I was due to run first after the test dog.

I showed up late and they were already running. The judge asked me why I was late... I was honest when I told him my stomach was so upset I was unable to drive past a restroom for the entire 40 miles from my home to the trial grounds!!

I was new to the game and in the chase for the blue with some "big names". Man I was shook up! My dog felt it too... He did the 5th pretty good... But that series was in a big lily pad pond and most of the dogs couldn't find a bird and it got scrapped... We crashed and burned in the new 5th or what I considered the 6th series of the derby!

I was upset that my dog couldn't do the test and dejected... I'll never forget at the tailgate party later, Larry Calvert gave me some encouragement. He told me that Preacher was going to be a good all-age dog and not to worry too much about the derby... Turns out Larry was right... Preacher was pretty good... Got his AFC and should of had his FC several times... But those are stories in themselves...
    Bill Davis

This thread always leaves me asking for just one more, come on Dr Ed!!!!!
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I had a very difficult time running qualifying with Criquet just out of the derby. She just couldn't put it all together, over ran the marks disappear on the blinds. I decided to run her in open and amateur , still a older two year old. Got to the last series in the open, handled on a water mark, got a JAM and that made her qualified all age. Told everyone I qualified her, word was out I had qualified her for the National Open. People started to shake my hand telling me what a young dog to qualify for the National. Dah! Light comes on, no she is now qualified all age with the open JAM. She won the Amateur all age the next day her first placement in the all age. QAA day before then AA win. Moral of story the qual aint everything , maybe the all age is your cup of tea.
    Earl Dillow

I believe it was 91. Fargo N.D. The Open had around 105 dogs. As i take the last bird from my dog the judge tells me that I do not have to wait around, to go ahead and go back to the clubhouse and get my blue ribbon. He then turned to Lardy and told him he could also leave and pick up his second place ribbon. I'll never forget the look on Wayne Curtis's and Dave Rorem's faces as I walked past them. They were in holding blinds waiting to run. I remember loading up my Airstream at the clubhouse and laughing with Lardy at what just happened. I then drove past the test on the highway. It was pretty close by the road and I could still see the other contestants still running as well as in holding blinds. I thought how wierd. Not five miles down the road a truck kicked up a rock and smashed my windshield so bad I had to replace it. From the penthouse to the outhouse. By the way, the judge was Lanse Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabbes View Post
    I believe it was 91. Fargo N.D. The Open had around 105 dogs. As i take the last bird from my dog the judge tells me that I do not have to wait around, to go ahead and go back to the clubhouse and get my blue ribbon. He then turned to Lardy and told him he could also leave and pick up his second place ribbon. I'll never forget the look on Wayne Curtis's and Dave Rorem's faces as I walked past them. They were in holding blinds waiting to run. I remember loading up my Airstream at the clubhouse and laughing with Lardy at what just happened. I then drove past the test on the highway. It was pretty close by the road and I could still see the other contestants still running as well as in holding blinds. I thought how wierd. Not five miles down the road a truck kicked up a rock and smashed my windshield so bad I had to replace it. From the penthouse to the outhouse. By the way, the judge was Lanse Brown.
    That is classic! Now everybody's fighting for third or fourth, what a letdown for them. Too bad about the windshield though.