The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most memorable FT moments - Good and Bad

Jones was AFC. Didn't have that many points. Qualified for a national.
    He was limited in many ways, but... that boy would do a big swim. He was a real character. Have a ton of ole Jones stories, that make us laugh.

I miss him. Even though...he was a jerk, and I often wanted to kill him.
    Never obeyed any command, if he thought, he didn't have to..
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    Jones was AFC. Didn't have that many points. Qualified for a national.
    He was limited in many ways, but... that boy would do a big swim. He was a real character. Have a ton of ole Jones stories, that make us laugh.

I miss him. Even though...he was a jerk, and I often wanted to kill him.
    Never obeyed any command, if he thought, he didn't have to..

That is Awesome!!!!!!! I know how you feel ,minus all the accomplishments
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    What's with you Bill, retired and always gotta leave to do what???????????????
    That's the problem... Not retired... Gotta leave to earn my keep every now and then! Wife is retired... Just a couple months ago... Darn it!
    Bill Davis

I'll never forget the first Open I handled in and finished. I remember at the time Kippy had just bought Banner who ended up winning the trial.
    Anyway, my dog had been washed from the Q the previous fall and spent the winter at Hillary Brooks place with a 2nd chance pro to sort out if she could play or not. (turned out she could)
    Well, I bring her home from wintering in SC and run the NJ spring trials! At Lynne Budd's Cranberry Bog, except for the late Bob Larson, I was the only amateur still left standing in the Open 4th series against pros Forry, Mosher, Wayne Curtis and 2 others. I still remember the 350 yd water blind being a real ball breaker. Not only was it technically over the top difficult but after you ran it you walked 50 yards or so down the cranberry bog dike/road to receive your dog and everybody's birds were left in a pile there a few yards off line. Not just 1 poison bird but a pile of 'em. The wind was strong and stiff, Mosher lost several good dogs to the poison bird pile. Right when dogs made a reentry and were out of sight they were winding the bird pile and if they went for it you didn't have time to stop them. Pick up! My dogs land marks and especially water blind were stellar so we were looking pretty good going into the 4th. Well, in the 4th there was the same honkin' cross wind on the way out to the 320 yd long retired thrown on an island. It was blowing strong enough that even dogs making a big effort shouldering the wind were blown off course at the end, putting there feet on the wrong island. it was only 30 yards from the correct island and dogs winded bird from there which is what mine did.
    I was very surprised we were not even awarded a Greenie. That was my 1st Open finishing experience both good and bad.
    At the Open the following week we did manage to squeak out a Greenie so finishing 2 in a row was pretty good for a newbie. (PS none of the Open dogs that finished the previous week finished this one so that was pretty cool too)
    In the big picture AA greenies don't mean squat but you remember the 1st one you didn't get.
    Last edited by Breck; 07-10-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Come on Bill tell the story. Will tell another funny one or think it is funny. I had just run a poison bird water blind with one of my dogs. Print did a nice job. Poison bird was placed about six feet up in a tree, dry shot, send for the blind.
    Number two dog Duke (FC/AFC Criquetpas Gettum Duke) his turn. Someone asked Judge Lee Jolley if any dog could get the poison bird. Lee replied nah too far up in tree. Dry shot, sent dog on the blind, lost sight of him for awhile, figure he got too far right, waiting for him to pop up in water, and waited and waited no Duke, finally comes back with a bird, figured he just got too far off line, got the blind didn't see him. All of a sudden a voice from the dry shot comes over the radio, we need another poison bird that last dog climbed the tree and got the bird damnest thing he ever saw that dog climbing the tree!
    Earl Dillow

Well it was 1995... That was an eventful year for me. I went through a divorce that year... We talked about that before. The game didn't help. Probably would have happened anyway, but this game is hard on a good relationship. If you have a poor one, look out. Right after the divorce was final (I mean the next week), the week before the Natl Am in Sun Valley... My old dog Preacher finally wins one and we qualify for the National! Due to the divorce, (and my spending habits!) I was so broke I couldn't pay attention. Well, thanks to my friends at CitiBank Visa or some such... I said "I'm going to the National!" And off we went... Had a great time. My first out of state trial of any kind... I was fortunate to train with my buddy Bill Petrovish, Billy Sargenti, Don Oliver of CA, Christina Jones of VA and Richard Pumphrey in ID. Some nice dogs in that bunch with guidance from Billy. None of them knew me from Adam, but they welcomed me in like a long lost friend. I'll never forget it and it was the time of my life.

But that's not really what the story is about... I was in my mid 30's then and working for a local distributor of a National soft drink product. (Don't want to name the company, I still have some friends there). Anyway there was a trial coming up and I had the Friday scheduled off. As a salesperson, I had already contacted all of my customers ahead of time and taken care of their needs for that week, so they would not miss me anyway... A coworker wanted the same day off at the last minute to go to Seattle and the management wouldn't let him go. So, I (being a softy) felt for the guy and let him have my day off. Meanwhile, as I said before, I had already done my work for the Friday of the trial... So that morning for the first and only time ever... I called in sick. Then I went to the trial. Sherwin Scott was judging the Open with the local judge.

My dog ran pretty well, but not quite good enough and I ended up with a 3rd place in that Open... When I showed up for work on Monday, the supervisor from hell calls me in his office and says "So, how was the field trial?" Uh,oh...

He had driven all the way down to Turnagain Pass from Anchorage looking for me as he figured that's where I was. He never actually saw me, but did see my truck. I ended up getting fired from my job for calling in sick when I wasn't sick.

I figure it was a pretty good trade off... I got an Open point and got out of a job I didn't like all that much anyway. I would have done it differently if I had thought much about it. But my life went straight up from that point forward, better career, personal life etc... Everything happens for a reason... Even losing a job to run a field trial... Though I'll admit that's a little extreme!

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Bill Davis

Bill we are waiting..................
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Bill that was truly life changing, hard to top it!
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Bill that was truly life changing, hard to top it!
    That might fit your wife's version of the Garth Brooks song!
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Well it was 1995... That was an eventful year for me. I went through a divorce that year... We talked about that before. The game didn't help. Probably would have happened anyway, but this game is hard on a good relationship. If you have a poor one, look out. Right after the divorce was final (I mean the next week), the week before the Natl Am in Sun Valley... My old dog Preacher finally wins one and we qualify for the National! Due to the divorce, (and my spending habits!) I was so broke I couldn't pay attention. Well, thanks to my friends at CitiBank Visa or some such... I said "I'm going to the National!" And off we went... Had a great time. My first out of state trial of any kind... I was fortunate to train with my buddy Bill Petrovish, Billy Sargenti, Don Oliver of CA, Christina Jones of VA and Richard Pumphrey in ID. Some nice dogs in that bunch with guidance from Billy. None of them knew me from Adam, but they welcomed me in like a long lost friend. I'll never forget it and it was the time of my life.

But that's not really what the story is about... I was in my mid 30's then and working for a local distributor of a National soft drink product. (Don't want to name the company, I still have some friends there). Anyway there was a trial coming up and I had the Friday scheduled off. As a salesperson, I had already contacted all of my customers ahead of time and taken care of their needs for that week, so they would not miss me anyway... A coworker wanted the same day off at the last minute to go to Seattle and the management wouldn't let him go. So, I (being a softy) felt for the guy and let him have my day off. Meanwhile, as I said before, I had already done my work for the Friday of the trial... So that morning for the first and only time ever... I called in sick. Then I went to the trial. Sherwin Scott was judging the Open with the local judge.

My dog ran pretty well, but not quite good enough and I ended up with a 3rd place in that Open... When I showed up for work on Monday, the supervisor from hell calls me in his office and says "So, how was the field trial?" Uh,oh...

He had driven all the way down to Turnagain Pass from Anchorage looking for me as he figured that's where I was. He never actually saw me, but did see my truck. I ended up getting fired from my job for calling in sick when I wasn't sick.

I figure it was a pretty good trade off... I got an Open point and got out of a job I didn't like all that much anyway. I would have done it differently if I had thought much about it. But my life went straight up from that point forward, better career, personal life etc... Everything happens for a reason... Even losing a job to run a field trial... Though I'll admit that's a little extreme!

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    great story!