The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most memorable FT moments - Good and Bad

We used to run a double header trial up in Paxson, Alaska in conjunction with the Fairbanks club. One year we were running the first series from a big mound (everything up there was run for a big mound!) facing a big lake. Boyd Woodward was running one of his dogs, I can't remember if it was Mojo or the one before him Chet... Whichever dog it was watched the birds down and got the go bird, then went for the long middle bird. As it picked up that long bird the lake was in the background... The dog scooped up the bird and kept going... Launching itself into the lake with a beautiful water entry! The dog is now about 400 yards away from the line swimming across the lake away from the test, the line, everything. Boyd was blowing his whistle, the thrower was shooting his popper, nothing! Gus were yelling... The dog swam all the way across the lake and was still going... Boyd went around with his truck as close as he could and eventually caught up with the dog... Strangest thing... Don't know if he tumbled and we couldn't see it... Or what but he had his mind made up... He was going that direction...
    Bill Davis

bill,
    as you know, you needed to get out of that organization. in my world, if you are at quota, all your customers are taken care of and i am your sales vp........i would fire you if you didn't go to a field trial!

i would probably reset your objectives next quarter though.
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    bill,
    as you know, you needed to get out of that organization. in my world, if you are at quota, all your customers are taken care of and i am your sales vp........i would fire you if you didn't go to a field trial!

i would probably reset your objectives next quarter though.
    That's so true! Like I said... My career went onwards and upwards from there. At the company I was fired from, I was the top sales rep for the entire time I was there. Won every sales contest and trip etc... Poor management. Within 2 years of that day I had tripled my income and had a boss who ascribed to the philosophy you just espoused. Just meet your goals and who cares where you are... Never looked back from that day on...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    We used to run a double header trial up in Paxson, Alaska in conjunction with the Fairbanks club. One year we were running the first series from a big mound (everything up there was run for a big mound!) facing a big lake. Boyd Woodward was running one of his dogs, I can't remember if it was Mojo or the one before him Chet... Whichever dog it was watched the birds down and got the go bird, then went for the long middle bird. As it picked up that long bird the lake was in the background... The dog scooped up the bird and kept going... Launching itself into the lake with a beautiful water entry! The dog is now about 400 yards away from the line swimming across the lake away from the test, the line, everything. Boyd was blowing his whistle, the thrower was shooting his popper, nothing! Gus were yelling... The dog swam all the way across the lake and was still going... Boyd went around with his truck as close as he could and eventually caught up with the dog... Strangest thing... Don't know if he tumbled and we couldn't see it... Or what but he had his mind made up... He was going that direction...
    That's like running to the wrong end zone or shooting at the other teams hoop! I'd luv to hear the dog tell that story!!!!!

Best FT moments.
    Both so far are with CFC CAFC Gahonks Aint He Handy who recently crossed over the rainbow. Handy was a Canadian National Open Finalist in 2005 and 2007. Those were great memories but the best was is 2004 at Waterfowlers club in Canada at Ducross's place. Great property with great water. They had three all age stakes that weekend, Open and two Ams. Handy was the only dog that finished all three stakes. Sunday we were squirting honey down his throat to keep his energy up. We got two second places and a CM (Jam). I remember at the last series on the second AM, twelve series now in three days, BIG water triple on the "million dollar pond" as they called it. The last bird to pick up was a boat mark about 300 yards away and thrown onto shore. Most of the dogs beached early and ran down the land to pick up the bird. Handy came back with the second bird and looked out and I could tell he was whooped. His ears perked up, I sent him and he swam out all the way. Granted on the back side of the boat but turned and picked up the bird.
    Twelve series, three days, three different set of judges.
    The second was Handy's last Open before he retired. It was at the Mobile Am Ret Club and Jason Flemming and Jim Oneal were judging. The entire Open was tough. Big tough marks and big blinds. The last series was on one of the big catfish ponds. This is prior to the new ponds. At the catfish ponds, you either did cut the corner marks of big ole swim marks. Well they chose the big ole swim marks. The flyer was all land then to the right at about 250 yds had a retired bird along the water edge in some thick tall cover. Then to the right again was the big punch bird at about 450 to 500 yds. 300 yds was all swim and the rest was driving up a hill side. Handy was the only dog to do the marks and did well on all three. He won that Open. My best memories have been where Handy showed his heart on the big set ups. These two stories are fresh in my mind due to we put Handy down a little over a week ago. He retired with 90.5 All Age points and always gave it all for me. I will miss that big yellow that every one referred to as the Handy Man. I now look forward to great memories with his son, Gator. He is coming up on three and half and already he has a fourth in an Open and jammed two Ams. Gator also has a big heart and desire to pull out the big ones. We are going to have a good time together.

I've had a couple of strange things happen at field trials.

At NDRC a year ago I ran my male Mick in the Am. They had both the derby and Am going at the main grounds. The Am had a triple with 2 retired. Flyer right out front up the middle, a retired bird up against some woods at about 200 yards right behind the flyer. And a retired bird out on the right. We got the flyer and the right retired. I sent for the bird right behind the flyer and Mick comes right in there but wasn't getting all the way to the woods. He did a couple loops out front then bailed out to the right where he did a couple more loops looking for a bird. The all of the sudden he stops and gets up on his hind legs to get a better look over to the derby. They were about 520 yards from where he was hunting the mark, and about 700 yards from line. Well, the booger heard the shot and must have seen the bird thrown, because off to the races he went. I was blowing the whistle and yelling to no avail. He went right over to the derby, got a bird, and brought it back to the Am, all happy like he just did real good. I should have asked if we got bonus points for that...

The first time I ever ran an Open with Raven they shot a quad with two retired. Amazingly she didn't want the flyer first. She watched all 4 birds down, then swung to one of the guns that was in the process of retiring. She goes and front foots that bird, comes back and has a little hunt on the left out gun. Then she comes back and lines up on the 350 yard retired bird. She hammers it. Well I guess the flyer gunners got really nervous. One of the gunners gets up and goes & picks up the bird. I ask the judges, what's that all about, I'm not done! He gets on the radio and one of the gunners pitches the bird out about 5 feet from the gun station. Raven comes back, lines up on the flyer. I send her and she goes right to where the bird originally lay. Not there. She gradually expands her hunt until it turns into a gorilla hunt. I was so p'oed I let her hunt longer than I should have. She wasn't going right to the gun station for nothing. Picked her up and went home.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I've had a couple of strange things happen at field trials.

At NDRC a year ago I ran my male Mick in the Am. They had both the derby and Am going at the main grounds. The Am had a triple with 2 retired. Flyer right out front up the middle, a retired bird up against some woods at about 200 yards right behind the flyer. And a retired bird out on the right. We got the flyer and the right retired. I sent for the bird right behind the flyer and Mick comes right in there but wasn't getting all the way to the woods. He did a couple loops out front then bailed out to the right where he did a couple more loops looking for a bird. The all of the sudden he stops and gets up on his hind legs to get a better look over to the derby. They were about 520 yards from where he was hunting the mark, and about 700 yards from line. Well, the booger heard the shot and must have seen the bird thrown, because off to the races he went. I was blowing the whistle and yelling to no avail. He went right over to the derby, got a bird, and brought it back to the Am, all happy like he just did real good. I should have asked if we got bonus points for that...

The first time I ever ran an Open with Raven they shot a quad with two retired. Amazingly she didn't want the flyer first. She watched all 4 birds down, then swung to one of the guns that was in the process of retiring. She goes and front foots that bird, comes back and has a little hunt on the left out gun. Then she comes back and lines up on the 350 yard retired bird. She hammers it. Well I guess the flyer gunners got really nervous. One of the gunners gets up and goes & picks up the bird. I ask the judges, what's that all about, I'm not done! He gets on the radio and one of the gunners pitches the bird out about 5 feet from the gun station. Raven comes back, lines up on the flyer. I send her and she goes right to where the bird originally lay. Not there. She gradually expands her hunt until it turns into a gorilla hunt. I was so p'oed I let her hunt longer than I should have. She wasn't going right to the gun station for nothing. Picked her up and went home.
    You should have turned around to the judges when they threw that bird back to the wrong to and said it was in the wrong spot and claimed interference. You have to stand your ground... If it's a well known "player" the judges would have already called it. They should have done it for you. I've had that and worse happen to me as well when I was young in the game... But watch when it's a Name...
    Bill Davis

Ran my first derby in 2009 at PARC's fall FT and brought the whole family to watch wonder dog. It was a little chilly that Saturday morning and I left home with kennel boots and shorts on. Wifey acknoledged my fashion faux paux immediatly upon my exit from the truck to check in since everyone else was in jeans. Since derbies never run in order I was asked to participate rather quickly. Signal ready, left long mark 350-400 yds throws and Kemo locks in, right flyer is shot and he is still locked in on long mark. The silence is broken by Wifey commenting "There goes $80".
    Just Win

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Ran my first derby in 2009 at PARC's fall FT and brought the whole family to watch wonder dog. It was a little chilly that Saturday morning and I left home with kennel boots and shorts on. Wifey acknoledged my fashion faux paux immediatly upon my exit from the truck to check in since everyone else was in jeans. Since derbies never run in order I was asked to participate rather quickly. Signal ready, left long mark 350-400 yds throws and Kemo locks in, right flyer is shot and he is still locked in on long mark. The silence is broken by Wifey commenting "There goes $80".
    Don't feel bad Raymond, about the only difference between that and my first time to the line at the derby is long pants and my dog saw the flyer... And darn near caught it as it hit the ground! I was so surprised when he took off that I just stood there watching him run. I still remember Boyd Woodward asking me why I didn't stop him? I said, "I didn't know I could"!
    1985... Old Jake. Chocolate out of backyard breeding. He and I were a pair. I banged my head against the wall with him for a while... Till I finally realized that I just had to get a dog that really WANTED to do it. We kept Jake too. He lived to be 16.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    You should have turned around to the judges when they threw that bird back to the wrong to and said it was in the wrong spot and claimed interference. You have to stand your ground... If it's a well known "player" the judges would have already called it. They should have done it for you. I've had that and worse happen to me as well when I was young in the game... But watch when it's a Name...
    Young guy running a Golden Retiever many ,many , years ago , was working on his CD novice. He was taught to tell the dog stay with a open hand and walk away. This young guy was running a licensed Derby stake. To his amazement he made it to the last series with his 20 month old amateur trained Golden running his first licensed trial the place Madison !Wisconsin. The Golden pinned the water marks. The guy was so nervous his hands were shaking. As he walked off the line, one of the judges, long deceased, told the young guy he was sorry but they had to eliminate him. The young Man asked why, the judge replied you hit your dog on the nose with your hand when you told her to stay. We considered it touching your dog and intimidation . I walked off the line thinking what the heck is this silly game called field trials. The local pro won the Derby. True story. If you didn't catch the "I " it was me. Their would be many more over the years, but, there were a few gifts too.
    Earl Dillow