The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Most memorable FT moments - Good and Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    This thread always leaves me asking for just one more, come on Dr Ed!!!!!
    Too many to remember but....

1985 National Amateur Retriever Championship, Cody is the defending Champion. Percy (FC-AFC Trumarc's Hot Pursuit) and I had a rough pre National training week. Percy spent most of the week in trouble. I had an early number and he had been so rank Rex wanted to work him early that morning before he was to run. Inexplicably based on the previous days he was brilliant. Off I went to run early while the rest of the training group stayed to train. The test was a land triple with a shorter middle hen pheasant flyer shot second. I got settled in with some anxiety and called for the birds. I watched the flyer intently so that I would have a reasonable idea where it was. As the flyer was shot I had a blur in my peripheral vision and the thought occurred to me, oh damn a dog has broken from the gallery for Percy's flyer but when I looked down Percy was no longer part of the team, he broke as soon as the bird was thrown, he didn't even wait for the shot. I was stunned but later realized that he had been under tension for a week and this was his release, Percy won that round but I loved that dog and we had lots of good times including the only Double Header I won. Percy was inducted into the Retriever Hall of Fame in 2011. I still have a vivid memory of standing alone on line in the first series of the 1985 National Amateur Retriever Championship.

in July of '77 Clint went up to run Judge one last time before going away to med school,Judge had been on injured reserve for 18 months and we werent quite sure what if any he had left. the last weekend I get a frantic call from Clint saying he had just won the Amateur at the GSLRC,Mom was excited as was everyone else in the family...

But the next weekend was the last trial in Eastern Idaho...Clint was again in the thick of things in the Amateur except this time he was up against his then live in GF/training partner and her FC AFC golden retriever, came down to the last series which back then was a water blind...She gets up and does the blind in a snappy two whistles...on her way back to the truck, Clint/Judge are in the second holding blind...as she walks by she utters the phrase"....if you line this blind,You are walking home to Texas"...a few other choice words were spoken but the only one I can print here is Clint's response "..I will not lie to my dog and I wont take a dive for anyone.."

Clint steps to the line and says "dead bird wayyy back..back.." Judge takes a PERFECT line and about 25 yards from the line someone says..SOB he's gonna line the damn blind..." The gallery was stunned because they had heard the exchange in the holding blind and knew what was at stake...Judge won the Amateur and qualified for the '78 National Amateur, his GF finishing second...

Clint called us afterwards and said you may have to come get me I may not have a ride home...BUT we won again and qualified for the National Am...of course Mom and I both asked, what about med school ? he replied " oh I am still going but I am going to retire Judge, we have nothing left to prove and he goes out as a ..winner"

so he was retired at the age of six with 57 AA points and was the youngest dog qualified at the National two years back in 73/74..he won an Amateur at age 22 months and an Open the weekend he turned 24 months..He gave us many thrills to last a lifetime..I buried him at age 13 on a friends property in Denton TX alongside his kennel mate John Rex Rascal
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

2009 Mid Iowa Spring Field Trial, Pete Hayes and I are judging. Cold morning, 4th series water marks. We have created a U shaped shelter by wrapping around holding blinds. The open end is facing the mat and the marks.

Jimmy Beck and Rip have run a marvelous trial. Rip smokes the last series. No one is even close. Jimmy is on the mat, watching Rip return. I turn to Pete, raise my index finger, "1"?, I ask without saying a word. Pete nods.

I ask Jimmy "Is Rip Qualified for the National?"
    Jimmy says "He has a couple of seconds. No win."
    I say what does he need for his FC.
    Jimmy says "The win"

I say to Jimmy, "Well buddy, Rip just qualified for the National and you have a new Field Champion."

Jimmy drops to his knees and tears of joy run down his face.

No one else can see, because we all hidden in our little shelter.

But, I will never forget it
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Was running the ORTC Trial at Sauvie Island, OR in 2002 or 2003, Suzanne King was judging. I forget who her co judge was. We were getting ready for the water marks and Suzanne wanted some limbs removed from a dead tree that was hanging over the water.

I was up in the tree about 10-12 feet on the side of the tree that was hanging out over the water and facing back towards land. I sawed some limbs off and Suzanne would say... "Need some more". OK... Saw some more... "Need some more". OK... Sawed some more... All of a sudden I hear a crack down low... Sounds like its at ground level. Hmmm. Then another. Uh Oh! All of a sudden the tree starts falling! I scramble around the tree as its going down and bail off the side facing land backwards and land just in the edge of the water on my butt. The tree crashes into the lake. All of this happens at the same time. If I had been in the spot where I was sawing, I would now have been pinned under water by limbs!

Suzanne, the other judge, contestants, etc... All come running down there to the waters edge to see if I'm alive... Or at least if I saved the saw... (I did). After a minute or so, and once everyone determined I was OK... Suzanne says, "that was pretty funny you scrambling out of that tree... You looked like a monkey F...ing a basketball!!!"
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    2009 Mid Iowa Spring Field Trial, Pete Hayes and I are judging. Cold morning, 4th series water marks. We have created a U shaped shelter by wrapping around holding blinds. The open end is facing the mat and the marks.

Jimmy Beck and Rip have run a marvelous trial. Rip smokes the last series. No one is even close. Jimmy is on the mat, watching Rip return. I turn to Pete, raise my index finger, "1"?, I ask without saying a word. Pete nods.

I ask Jimmy "Is Rip Qualified for the National?"
    Jimmy says "He has a couple of seconds. No win."
    I say what does he need for his FC.
    Jimmy says "The win"

I say to Jimmy, "Well buddy, Rip just qualified for the National and you have a new Field Champion."

Jimmy drops to his knees and tears of joy run down his face.

No one else can see, because we all hidden in our little shelter.

But, I will never forget it
    Awesomeness right there
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by RF2 View Post
    So...now that you have provided Bill with career advice...what is your best field trial moment?
    as everyone who has checked my record on ee knows, i aint got that many ft experiences!

but here goes, last fall my young boy crew needed to run a derby. my daughter had passed the cpa exam, finished her masters and was about to begin work at a big 4 firm. she asked if we could go on a mini vacation together before work started. she lives in memphis so we decided to go to st. louis for a couple of days and then run at the busch grounds in weldon springs.

we had a great time in st louis and then had a pretty nice derby going on saturday. the judges generously carried every dog that got the birds and we didn't finish on saturday and the 4th was to be sunday morning. we checked into a nice, name brand inn and suites in weldon near the grounds, our first night in this hotel. the next morning i got ready, had an itchy spot or two but attributed it to a chigger or three. no big deal. we went out and the judges had a "very simple", short converging water double. i was confident we had a greenie and felt i was battling for rj, maybe a placement.

ol' crew switched and got picked up. bekah said dad it looked easier than the first three. i replied that, "we don't even train on little setups like that!" she said, "don't you think maybe you should prepare for the easy stuff too sometimes?"

anyway, it wasn't chiggers........it was bed bugs! my daughter didn't get one bite and i had literally hundreds. my wife is a 25 year trauma rn, when i got home and pulled my shirt off for her to examine me she gets a look of serious alarm and says, "OH MY GOD!!!!!". when the old folk say, don't let the bed bugs bite......they is serious!!!!
    john mccallie

have had many bad moments that I'll prolly never for get. Have had some great (although fleeting) moments I'll surely never forget. But, DID have this one moment that I'll never forget. (or live down for that matter)
    Running a Q at the C&D Canal in Maryland. It's kinda local so we train there fairly often as well. So, I'm working my way thru the holding blinds, towards the line, as dog after dog runs the test. I get to the last holding blind, and watching the dog before me running. Goes after the memory bird and starts fading his line, way fat to the right. gets out of the area a bit, and starts putting up a good hunt, like the bird is right in that area. But it's not. Just about when I start thinking this guy should maybe handle his dog, the dog puts his face down and comes up with a big, white, Nuemann's & Bennetts bumper.......Oh boy!in runs the dog to the line and the handler takes the bumper and hands it to the judge. (who happens to be a friend of mine......but maybe not anymore) The judge turns around and reads the name on the bumper, (pretty loudly too) "BAIT".....Oooops! So, here I am, in the last holding blind and the whole gallery turns their heads towards me. I could've shriveled up and died! This isn't the worst part of it.....When I look at the handler, as he's glaring at me, I see it's the same guy that I forgot to plant a blind for his dog in a HT 2 years prior to this. ......He said he's keeping the bumper......and I did NOT argue with him. And, If I remember correctly, Vicky Trainor was the judge at that HT, so I'll never live either of those days down.
    John Baitinger

I very seldom was "in the mix" in the 4th series of an Open or Am for that matter, and I have not even run one in a few years... so the time when I went out on the water blind in an Open for something inexplicable other than by saying that" they are dogs", and then come back as test dog and crushed the big set of water marks that few of the remaining field ended up "Doing" , gave me an isolated noment of validation for my effort with the caliber of dogs that I train and run.

No washouts regards.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    I very seldom was "in the mix" in the 4th series of an Open or Am for that matter, and I have not even run one in a few years... so the time when I went out on the water blind in an Open for something inexplicable other than by saying that" they are dogs", and then come back as test dog and crushed the big set of water marks that few of the remaining field ended up "Doing" , gave me an isolated noment of validation for my effort with the caliber of dogs that I train and run.

No washouts regards.

john
    Seems like they always do in that situation. I've often wondered if it was because the dog knew the pressure was off? Still nice when they do it, though.
    Bill Davis

My best moments:
    Judging
    Watching Carol Sealock cry tears of joy after she just won her first open
    Watching Steve Helgoth choke up after he won a 105 dog limited all age open.

running:
    winning my first AA stake, Amateur Fort Collins
    getting a 2nd Pikes peak RC, 1st 3rd and 4th all FC AFC's (Missing qualifying for the national am by about 30 days Arg!)

My worst moments:
    running:
    Having my boy trek almost overheat and get wobbly on me. scary moment
    Running an am, clean to the fourth handled on the last bird
    same trial running the derby handled on the last bird, all within 30 minutes of each other

I've been very blessed to say I've not had a terrible experience judging, YET! For sure some difficult moments but nothing to whine about.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject