The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Craig's List GDG

Default Craig's List GDG

What has been your experience?
    I listed several items and it seems as if people just want to look at pictures you send, or ask stupid questions like "how much", or "whate city are you located in" when it is clearly indicated in the ad.

I had one guy e mail me 6 times saying he wanted to buy my item, but then disappeared.
    Tom Dorroh

I have done a lot of buying and selling on craigslist, just like on the forum it takes a little bit of time to separate the wheat from the chaff. Its free and it works, well worth the effort, expect some spam and a bunch of low ball offers, it the price sounds to good to be true it probably is, never ever send money.

I got my pup that is on my avatar off craigslist for FREE! We just got through TT together which says a lot for my pup bc I am a rookie trainer. So I feel pretty good about it. Ha. I have also purchased a motorcycle of craigslist before and was pleased with what I got. Like anything you just have to plan for the worst and don't expect too much out of the people you are dealing with. If you do you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    What has been your experience?
    I listed several items and it seems as if people just want to look at pictures you send, or ask stupid questions like "how much", or "whate city are you located in" when it is clearly indicated in the ad.

I had one guy e mail me 6 times saying he wanted to buy my item, but then disappeared.
    That sounds like a CR scam ,they try to keep you on the hook and get various info from you over several emails,texts.

They are now doing it with text messages as well

Dont put your email address, list it as phone calls or text only (or whatever you prefer) but when you list your contact number ,spell out several of the letters...it makes it harder for you to be targeted. That will help weed out the scammers (I think it is an automated deal ,but not computer savoy enough to understand.)

example 5 five 5- 2 one three-3456
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Before moving to So Cal from Spokane, WA I sold a few items on Craigslist, one of which was a snow plow from my ATV. (figured I wouldn't need it much down here). Aside from a few e-mails where a guy offers half of your list price or "I'd love to have it but don't have the money right now" I was pretty happy with how it worked out. I e-mailed back and forth a couple times to gauge interest and validity of the person I was communicating with before giving out my phone number. I also made it clear that I would meet them within a certain distance and the sale was cash only.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

I have bought and sold several items off of Craigslist with no problems. I actually bought a car earlier today, we will sign papers tomorrow. I bought a travel trailer a few years back and sold a pirogue this past Monday using Craigslist. You will get people trying to scam you and that's good advice from Shawn about phone number with words and numbers. Just be cautious!

We've sold farm animals on CL and you really have to watch out for the flakes. I usually put my phone number in my ad and if someone calls I prioritize them over the internet responders. If there's anything weird or unimpressive about someone's response I immediately delete it.

My husband advertises our rental houses using CL and he screens out a lot of people just by their initial response. People who use text language or ask you to call them etc. The ones who call seem more serious. Never hold anything for someone, always go with the first person who actually makes arrangements and even then, don't hold your breath! I think you can find decent people, but it seems like there are a lot of pretend shoppers on CL who never really meant to buy.
    Good luck.
    Kathy

I have had mixed success. I have never had a problem buying off of CL, but selling can be a pain. Two weeks ago I put a cast net on there and immediately had two people contact me. I emailed the first one back going by the first to reply gets the first shot. He emailed with me four times saying he wanted it, but it would have to be "after work tomorrow". I am in no hurry to sell, just want the net out of the garage, so noroblem waiting a day. Of course he never showed up and never answered any further emails. I then emailed the ssecond person who responded and it went almost the same way.
    I put an ad up for the net again on the third and got another reply this time with a phone number. I called the guy and went throug the whole process again. The guy was coming into town for the fourth and would pick it up then. I figure since I talked to him rather than email this would work out. By noon on the fourth I had not heard from him so I call. He says he is moving slow and he will be here at 330. No worries I am going to be home. Well 330 came and went so I text him and he is still on his way. Three more text until about 6 and he never shows up.
    PI just don't get the stringing along. If you don't want something why keep saying you do? Why keep on saying you you are on your way when you have no intention of showing up?
    I have not had the ad up since the third and this morning I have an email from someone wanting it. Any bets on if they show up?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I've had all of the experiences expressed above. Its free.. you get what you pay for. I'll have to say the positive sales have outweighed the negative interactions.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com