The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I met Jerry Day

Default I met Jerry Day

I was at a hunt test in Minnesota that had a owner handler Q and I was running JH. I was at the awards and after this guy came up and started talking to me and he was so interesting I stayed for another hour after just to hear his stories. Usually I am ready to hit the road after awards but I was caught up in his stories. He told me about his dog named Super Sue and her accomplishments. Wow what a dog. He also was the original owner of Dogs Afield. I was amazed at how down to earth he was and taking the time to talk to a JH yankee like me. Oh and vote for Super Sue in the Retriever News he wants to let everyone know. Wish I could train with him sometime but Texas is a long way down there.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Probably picks up poop just like the rest of us..... But wow what a great run! with a great dog
    Last edited by Bridget Bodine; 07-10-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Talked to him at a few events this summer, seems like a good guy.
    Duane
    MAGGIES CADILLAC JACK (RIP)
    JAZ
    ACES BLACKWATER EXPRESS

http://www.canvasworksincmn.com

Jerry Day is a true gentleman, and a good sport. I had the pleasure to spend some time admiring Super Sue and Jerry in person. She was special and they were a great team.

It takes some guts to name a puppy something like this. But Super Sue was pretty super!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Super Sue remains the only retriever to have earned the 6 major retrieving titles. That is one heck of a dog.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I get to see Jerry Day about once a week as I live 15 miles from him here in south Atlanta. Yes he cleans kennels just like everyone else. He is the hardest working 73 old man I know. True gentleman. Class Act.

I had the pleasure of knowing both Jean and Jerry back in our NAHRA beginnings and BOTH are supper. I think that was when Jerry first got Sue and was training her on hand signals with minute slices of hot dog. He built some of the first tripod wingers.

I believe the only Retriever title Sue didn't have was the HRC Grand title, and Jerry said that was because of a DAH mistake. They made a great team and they were founding members, if my memory serves me well, Of Great Southern NAHRA club and later Old South HRC club of Covington, GA. They were a great pair and always a hoot to be around. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Wish I could train with him sometime but Texas is a long way down there.
    Texas is closer than Georgia where Jerry lives, Geography 101.

Mr Jerry paid me the one of the best compliments a Hunt test Judge can get in my opinion when he told me " Now this is Huntin' " after he ran a test I helped set up. Great guy, and wealth of information. We are lucky to have him around here in Georgia to give sage advice and observations.
    Brian Skibicki, Richmond Hill Georgia (South Bryan County)

HRCH Ogeechee River's Spur of The Moment MH
    HR Ogeechee River's Midnight Rider

Gunners Up Dealer and User

I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there. - Rev. Billy Graham

Super Sue also earned Jerry & Jean Day a ticket to the Playboy Mansion. I bet no other dog has done that. Feel free to check all your back issues of Rftn
    Last edited by Gawthorpe; 07-10-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Typo
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.