RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

I met Jerry Day

8K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  laurelwood 
#1 ·
I was at a hunt test in Minnesota that had a owner handler Q and I was running JH. I was at the awards and after this guy came up and started talking to me and he was so interesting I stayed for another hour after just to hear his stories. Usually I am ready to hit the road after awards but I was caught up in his stories. He told me about his dog named Super Sue and her accomplishments. Wow what a dog. He also was the original owner of Dogs Afield. I was amazed at how down to earth he was and taking the time to talk to a JH yankee like me. Oh and vote for Super Sue in the Retriever News he wants to let everyone know. Wish I could train with him sometime but Texas is a long way down there.

#2 · (Edited)
Probably picks up poop just like the rest of us..... :p But wow what a great run! with a great dog

#11 ·
Same experience here Chris.
Jerry is a class act and Super Sue was a one of a kind dog. Last time I saw Jerry, I picked a tick off his back! :p

#7 ·
I had the pleasure of knowing both Jean and Jerry back in our NAHRA beginnings and BOTH are supper. I think that was when Jerry first got Sue and was training her on hand signals with minute slices of hot dog. He built some of the first tripod wingers.

I believe the only Retriever title Sue didn't have was the HRC Grand title, and Jerry said that was because of a DAH mistake. They made a great team and they were founding members, if my memory serves me well, Of Great Southern NAHRA club and later Old South HRC club of Covington, GA. They were a great pair and always a hoot to be around. Bill

#9 ·
Mr Jerry paid me the one of the best compliments a Hunt test Judge can get in my opinion when he told me " Now this is Huntin' " after he ran a test I helped set up. Great guy, and wealth of information. We are lucky to have him around here in Georgia to give sage advice and observations.

#10 · (Edited)
Super Sue also earned Jerry & Jean Day a ticket to the Playboy Mansion. I bet no other dog has done that. Feel free to check all your back issues of Rftn;)

#16 ·
I had the pleasure to meet Jerry in Kentucky back in 2005 when a few of us drove there for a late season HRC event. We got to train with him and threw for a few of his young dogs. Jerry and I were in the same finished flight and I was like a star struck groupie and had to have a picture of us with our dogs! I was such a dork but Jerry was so much fun to hang with and talk to. Sue was an amazing dog and I was one of her biggest fans.

#19 ·
Well, if you had something good to say about Jerry it just goes to prove you've met him. Super nice person and represents our games very well everywhere he goes.

#22 ·
I had the pleasure of meeting Jerry, Jean and their dogs a number of years ago. It was just before his primer pistol was released. He had a couple that we used for several days.

Jerry and Jean were very gracious and pleasure to spen time with.

Tom

#23 ·
Jerry and Jean have been wonderful contributors to our sport. I first met him many years ago when he came to FL to mentor and help establish CFHRC. He had the first equipment trailer we had ever seen. Thought that was way cool. Had the chance to watch Jerry and Sue from the judge's chair as well.
I handled my derby dog away from old fall area in ATL a few years ago. Pup took the single cast straight to that last bird of the trial. 'Course I knew we were out but I heard "Great handle!" from the gallery. Turned around and saw Jerry grinning ear to ear.
Great guy and always very generous with his time.

#24 ·
I've had the pleasure of being around Jerry from time to time since 1995 or 1996. Jerry is the epitome of class and just a super down to earth guy. There are field trial people who put on airs or look down their noses at hunt test dogs and trainers, etc., but Jerry has never been one of those. He would congratulate you on your first Junior pass with your unregistered dog just about the same as he would congratulate someone else on getting their FC. He has always been an encouragement to anyone and everyone trying their hand at retriever games. Jerry is the same every time you meet him and in every situation. I'd challenge you to find someone who loves dogs more than Jerry and he is as fair to his dogs in training as anyone I've seen, giving them every chance to make the right decision, giving the dog the benefit of the doubt, etc. I don't know whether Old South HRC would have survived through the years without the generosity of Jerry and Jean (and later David Didier) in the use of their wonderful training grounds which they have always shared generously with both Old South and Atlanta Retriever Club. I haven't run any tests or trained much in several years so I haven't seen Jerry lately, but if you don't like Jerry Day the problem is on your end. Having said all of that, Jerry doesn't need my testimonial or anyone else's as I've never heard anyone say anything negative about him (except that he likes Georgia Tech).

#26 ·
Jean and Jerry Day started in the NAHRA club known as the Great Southern Hunting Retriever Club. Jerry had a dog and was training as a hobby. His company built rollers used by printing plants. I well remember them as being both serious about training and also a general hoot to have around. For instance, ask Jean about the time she got stuck in the mud during a Dec hunt in NC. She went to the line in huge boots. As her dog progressed through the test, she was sinking lower and lower in the mud. This didn't phase her and she kept working the dog. Finally, the dog completed the test and she discovered the mud was over her boots and she couldn't move. It took 3-4 people to help her out.

I was returning from a NAHRA test with Tracey Saunders when a pick-up pulled up if front of us and there was Jerry waving his hands to get us to follow him. He lead us to this place off I-85 near Moreland, GA. Jerry got out of the car and spread his arms and said, "I just bought this." That's the Jerry Day Farm and he was like a proud boy...just had to show it to someone.

I'd not seen Jerry for about 10 years and meanwhile he'd started Days Afield, started field trialing, and I'd grown a beard. I ran into him last year at a test and he greeted me by name and it was like we'd been neighbors for years.

They're such special people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.