RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Launchers?

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  chuck187 
#1 ·
I train alot by myself and try and get my pup on marks as much as i can, and that is normally with a local pro (about once a week). or i try and do some hand thrown marks but i can only get so much out of hand throw marks.

so im looking for launchers that will fit im my car (08 Ford Focus) im guessing the box launchers will be the easiest to get in the car but i would really like normal launcher. also limited on budget a little but mostly looking for a launcher that i can use to get my pup on marks as often as i can. I plan on using tritronics electronics with what ever i get.

so now for a question will the box launchers from either company get a bumper, duck, or dokken high enough to be seen in most cover? and will the box launchers help with marking all the way up to a finished/master level dog?

#2 ·
A box launcher is not great for throwing dead ducks. It will throw bumpers pretty well. You might be better off with a Thunder or some other remote bumper launcher and use birds when you train with people. You could get a Thule for your roof to hold wingers, but they are a pain to put on and take off.

#3 ·
found out our club is raffleing off a son of a gun launcher and the trainer i work with has it at his house so i will be going over sat or sunday to buy a ticket and see if it will fit in my car

and thanks didnt think a box launcher was great at throwing dead duck but will it throw pigeons a pretty good ways? because i can get pigeons pretty cheap and easily.

#4 ·
For training alone and if your time is limited to before or after work, it is hard to beat a bumper boy or three. With one dog a derby double will work wonders. I use to use them many years ago when most of my training was alone and my time limited. It took far longer to set up and reload wingers and I got so much more done in much less time with the BB's. they are not cheap, but they are a good investment.
With them you have the advantage of sound to help your dog if he misses the mark and if that doesn't work you can always fire the second bumper. They don't use birds, but I don't find that to be a problem. If your dog likes birds and can mark bumpers you will find that many do better when they do get birds because it is "better" reward for them.

#5 ·
BB x 2...They've been getting some bad reviews on here lately but I think they're the best.

#6 ·
Also brainstorm on a local kid who you can pick up nearby !0 to 15 years old. Cousin, kid next door, etc. They walk around a field throwing stuff for your dog to pick up for an hour- Your dog thinks it's great. -Kid gets 10 bucks, so while he's not ecstatic, it's $10 he didn't have.- Meanwhile, he still thinks you and your dog are nuts. - You can do this roughly 30 times for the price of a winger. Meanwhile, you keep your eye out for good deals on a winger on classified sites such as this one. Admittedly, this hypothetical kid can sometimes be difficult to produce but keep an open mind and think about it.

#8 ·
glad you mentioned this, 2 neighbor hood kids came by my house last week wanting to cut my grass (declined them) but i bet you they would want to throw some birds or bumpers for me a couple of times a week. Now just have to find out where these kids are located!!!

and everyone thanks i will look into the bumper boys

#7 ·
I've trained mostly by myself through the years and 2 bumper boy's, I use 2 Max's 5000 but they are around any more, and 2 wingers will fit pretty much any individual training you may want too do. When you use the BB throw a bumper then walk out and place 2 or 3 birds on the ground where the bumper landed. This makes a better retrieve for the pup. I do prefer wingers as real birds are much better to train with. When you start using wingers don't forget to use the sound part of the receiver to get the pup's attention before throwing the bird. After awhile you won't need it but it will come in handy if the pup has some difficulty coming up with the bird and starts back to a different station because he already picked up a bird there. Use the tone to keep him in the area of the right fall. If you don't win the Son-of-a-gun in the raffle you can get them from Gunners Up. They are great people to work with.

#10 ·
the measurements i got off both websites say they are 48-49in tall and measuring the back seat area it should fit but want to actually put one in my car before i buy some if push comes to shove the wingers can ride shotgun with me.

thanks again for the info i think most of the questions i had have been answered. so box launchers out small wingers the way to go just got to save for a month or 2 and get them after i finish some training at work.

#11 ·
Have you looked into thunders? They make a 2 shooter.We got six 5 shooters and couldn`t be happier.Now if I could find remotes that are waterproof I`d have it made. Jim

#22 ·
I would look into buying one or two Thunder Launcher 200s. I have two of them since last fall and have thoroughly enjoyed them. They are only 20 inches in length, and 10 inches tall and wide (approx). You could easily put two of them in the back of your truck, and still have plenty of room to carry other stuff.

They do not however launch birds, but to be honest with you, I rarely work with birds because I really do not want to deal with the mess associated with them.

#20 ·
I have a simulator and use it as a popper and when doing stand alones.....about like the retriever trainer launcher but does not throw as far.About all the good I`ve found them for.

#26 ·
Dude, you live in Georgia. Go find a cheap truck to lug you dog equipment around with. Pretty soon, you,ll also have a trailer with a four wheeler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.