The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Hillman Program

Default Hillman Program

Hi all, new guy from Maryland here. My new pup will be born next week and I all ready have the bug again. Its been 11 years since I trained my first pup and things sure have changed since then...I don't recall all the programs to choose from. I ended up with a copy of 10 Minute Retriever, a Lardy VHS tape, and a subscription to retriever journal. Somehow, despite all my mistakes, my pup turned out to be a phenomenal retriever. Allthough I had every intention of running her in trials/tests, I never did. This time will be different and I plan to stick with a program this time around. I have been reading forums for weeks and purchased the Hillman Puppy DVD to start. My intentions were to go Lardy TRT afterwards. After watching it a few times I am considering sticking with Hillman all the way through. This is where I need help. After the puppy DVD which DVD is next from Hillman? Can I skip Fetch Command DVD and Traffic Cop because he covers that to some extent in the puppy? Is Fundementals 1 next?

If I stick with the original plan and move on to TRT, are Hillman's "force fetch" and e-collar conditioning methods complete from the puppy program? If I follow Hillman puppy to a T, will it be a smooth transition to TRT or even Smartworks? (which I am also considering after watching some of his videos on youtube)

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I pick my pup up next week. I bought the Hillman DVD and I am intrigued by his different approach and plan to use it. I too am a bit skeptical about his FF, but I am going to give it a try. If it doesn't work, I can always use the conventional method.

One other DVD I think you ought to consider is the Basics with Danny Farmer and Judy Aycock I have TRT and Smartwork, but I think I am going to use Farmer/Aycock this time primarily.

Hillman has had great derby dogs, but not near the success with All-Age dogs as Farmer and Aycock or Lardy. Don't really know about any competition history for Evan Graham. Maybe he will see this and fill us in.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Captzig View Post
    After watching it a few times I am considering sticking with Hillman all the way through. This is where I need help. After the puppy DVD which DVD is next from Hillman? Can I skip Fetch Command DVD and Traffic Cop because he covers that to some extent in the puppy? Is Fundementals 1 next?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I am in the same boat and had the same questions. I actually sent an email to Bill and Mary asking about the fetch command DVD. Mary emailed me back saying that the method in the puppy video is for a more experienced trainer, and the Fetch Command DVD is easier for a first time trainer....which I am.

My pup is just over 3 months old and we are just beginning Hillman's puppy program. I did pick up a copy of the Fetch Command and plan on using that in place of the force method in the puppy video when we get to that point.

Hillman puppy program for me then on to Smartworks. Right now I am on day 11 with Hillman and it is like the dog watched the DVD! He is right on track.

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    Hillman has had great derby dogs, but not near the success with All-Age dogs as Farmer and Aycock or Lardy. Don't really know about any competition history for Evan Graham. Maybe he will see this and fill us in.
    All of the people mentioned have had FT success to some extent or another. All these programs have proven to work for the amateur trainer and will likely continue to work for a long time. Hillman DVD's are probably the newest out there and have some different approaches to things, but they appear to work. Farmer/Aycock is probably the second newest followed by Graham and Lardy. Going by AA FT success, obviously Lardy and Farmer are tops in the field.

I will say this, competition success does not necessarily convert to being able to teach others how to succeed. I have seen all the above videos, and all are very good programs. Find the one that you feel will fit your goals and personality (probably not the right word) the best and go with that.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

I recieved a response from Mrs.Hillman today. I now too plan to purchase the Fetch Command DVD also to thouroughly complete the Hillman force fetch method within the puppy program. Hopefully by then I'll be convinced on a program to transition into. I see Bill Hillman has posted 14 new videos on his youtube page this week. I like his style and videos. I have seen plenty of Evan Grahams video clips, a couple Farmer/Aycock, and Lardy's are hard to find on the web.

My pup will be 9 months old come next March when the local events start. I know it all depends on dog, but what is an average pup age most people start JH or Derbys? I'd like to think we will be ready for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Captzig View Post
    I recieved a response from Mrs.Hillman today. I now too plan to purchase the Fetch Command DVD also to thouroughly complete the Hillman force fetch method within the puppy program. Hopefully by then I'll be convinced on a program to transition into. I see Bill Hillman has posted 14 new videos on his youtube page this week. I like his style and videos. I have seen plenty of Evan Grahams video clips, a couple Farmer/Aycock, and Lardy's are hard to find on the web.
    My pup will be 9 months old come next March when the local events start. I know it all depends on dog, but what is an average pup age most people start JH or Derbys? I'd like to think we will be ready for next season.

I started training my second lab at 14 weeks using the Bill Hillman program. I then went with Lardy's 2nd Edition and still using it as we go forward. My young dog is 10 months as of the 2nd of this month and we are running our first derby this weekend. The very best of luck to you
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Derby Dog (Crude)