The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heeling to left and right side

Stick with it and be consistent. Use your rope and show her the same way you taught her originally, be patient and it will come together. As always, lots of praise when she gets it right. I'm in the same situation, my 5 month old has always heeled on the left. I decided recently to teach him both sides and only took me a few short sessions for the last few days and he's picked up on it quick.

Put the left side of your body against a wall, so heeling left is not an option. Praise when she gets in the right place. Heel along a fence with her on your right the fence on your left. 7 months is not too old to teach 2 sided.
    Once the dog is comfy on both sides use wagon wheel lining to perfect.
    Last edited by Scott Adams; 07-11-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Do you guys use the command "heel" for both sides? One of the guys at my retriever club (his dog is a master national qualifier) told me to use "heel" for one side and "side" for the other. On the other hand, i was just watching Dennis Voigt's training retrievers alone dvd and noticed that he uses "heel" for both sides. To get the dog to switch sides, he says "other side" and the dog transitions. Any thoughts?

Skinny - PM sent
    Freedom isn't free......

If she's been heeling to the left for months, then doing the other side will be tough for a while. Be patient and keep teaching. Make sure you have a clear hand signal for her to follow. She'll figure it out. It's just that heel means on your left right now. Might want to use hand motion only for a while.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 07-12-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Use "bait". Start using it on the side she knows then change over to the other side.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I would start with healing her on the right on lead, sit, heal, sit, heal. Then try to heal off lead, etc....my thought.......