RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Suction?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  RookieTrainer 
#1 ·
I'm new to the retriever training and trials I here a lot about suction on retrieves and blinds and being a new bee I don't know what causes suction so I don't know how to train for it. I need all the help I can get on this. All information will be appreciated

#2 ·
It's a nickname given to the influence of a dog being drawn toward another fall, or toward nearby shoreline. Suction is one of the factors you will need to keep training for over your dog's entire working career.

Evan

#4 · (Edited)
An example of SUCTION would be: Flyer thrown right to left, run a blind up the right backside of the Flyer station. Pups will remember that EXCITING flyer, the challenge/suction is keeping pup on course to the blind.

#7 ·

This is a Split Drill. The 3 long blinds are about 150 yards each. The 4 shorter ones are about 40 yards, and are planted with large white bumpers to make them visible. They white bumpers produce suction due to their visibility and close proximity to the line for each longer one. There is much more to the drill, as it is taught in three stages. But you should be able to see where suction is applied here. This is only one way to produce suction in training.

In this Hip Pocket double mark, the shorter more obvious mark on the right produces suction as the dog goes for the longer one. There are many more examples.

Evan

#9 ·
The way I look at is is suction is anything that pulls a retriever towards it and off of the line of the retrieve.
* old falls close to the line
* shorelines off to the side of the line
* bird boys in sight of the line but off to the side
* Poison birds
* Wind blown scent
* ETC.

An obstruction is anything that pushes a retriever off line of the retrieve due to it being in the path.
* Cover patches
* Cheaty water entries
* Hill sides
* Change in terrain
* ETC.

The best way to train/learn about these factors is to get with someone that's been there done that. Other than that, try to think what the dog will likely do on the retrieve and anticipate any problems. Also, when the dog caves into factors on a retrieve, make a mental note of what may have caused it. If you can figure out what caused the issue, simplify and work through that issue and that issue only. The one error in training I have seen and done is try to train through too many factors.

i.e. if you are going to work on a dog holding a line on a side hill, work on that with several different marking or blind setups. Try to avoid teaching side hills with cover and water and other factors at the same time.

#10 ·
All good stuff to know about, but we're crossing over into other aspects of diversion. Whatever diverts a dog from his course or purpose has diverted him. But there are essentially three influences that do that, and all diversion 'factors' fall under one or more of those influences; Flare, Suction, and Drift. That can really expand the conversation!

Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.