The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mastitis ?

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    Good Mastitis cure is cabbage leaves. Put the cabbage leaves in the freezer for five to ten minutes, then and roll over them with a rolling pin on the counter so the juice will be able to escape. Wrap the cabbage leaves on the affected area with ace bandage, do not use vet wrap, use ace bandage. Do this three or four times per day for 30 min. Good luck.
    Thanks for telling us how to use the cabbage leaves! I've heard of using them, but haven't had to try them ... but nobody explained quite how to do it!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

When the vet tried to aspirate the swollen area yesterday morning to secure a sample of the fluid for testing, it literally exploded sending an estimated 3 to 4 oz all over the examining table and floor(what a mess).
    I am continuing with the clavamox regimen. I was initially instructed to flush it several times a day with a mild Betadine solution, this aspect of the treatment has become impossible because of the closure of the wound, and with clearance of the vet has been discontinued.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

John, this is an abscessed mastitis. I had it once; and a friend had it once on one of her bitches.

From your description, the abscess would have burst soon. Your bitch should be feeling considerably better with all that infected material gone.

Hopefully your vet cleaned the wound. When my bitch's abscess broke (she broke it herself! and then the vet finished cleaning the edges of the wound. It was packed (and bandaged) with an amoxy gel for a couple of days. It's amazing how quickly it heals once the infectious material is removed. I'd swear that the hole left in my girl was the size of at least one tennis ball (maybe 1-1/2) ... and it closed up completely in a matter of a few days.

Mastititis can be life threatening in some instances. It deserves prompt attention. However, in many cases it is also resolved rather easily if caught early. It does not necessarily recur in the same bitch. I was misinformed on that originally, and spayed a very nice virgin girl because she had mastititis in her 2nd season
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.