The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming not Swim By Problems

Default Swimming not Swim By Problems

My BLM is a retrieving machine. We are however having some problems with swimming. My boy seems to want to slap the water with his front legs and keeps his head very high in the water especially with bumper or bird in mouth. I have gotten in with him and held him while he's in the water and touched his feet to get him to try and balance out the use of front and rear legs but that does not seem to be the real issue. I feel that he slaps around so much that he begins to cavitate and the bubbles make him sink a bit. He has made progress over the last month and stops slapping and splashing when slightly tired. I am putting him in the water every day now to hopefully remedy this issue. My question is how do I get him to stop splashing. I have until sept. 1 goose season to get this under control. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Ed

Go to a dive shop and get a lead weight used on weight belts. String ecollar strap thru the 2 slots in weight just like the receiver. May help him plane out.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I had the same problem with my dog. I tried holding him under his belly and it didn't help. What did work was lifting his back end up by his tail. I did this and it seemed to help him find his "balance" in the water.

You're on the right track; lots of practice will help and not just retrieving. If you can find some kids to spend all day in the water with him, that will help, too. People think all retrievers are natural swimmers but there are some that just seem to have a harder time learning to swim efficiently. My avatar dog, Panda, was one. She tried to swim with a soft cast on a front leg at 9 wks. and nearly drowned in March (Jan. pup). I wasn't too worried she seemed afraid, but once it warmed up and she lost her fear of water, she just couldn't get the hang of swimming. Like your pup, she'd pull her front feet out of the water, go vertical and lose all forward momentum. Tried every trick there was and she got better, but still was an embarrassment to the Chesapeake breed. In fact I tried to find a nice pet home for her. When she got excited such as retrieving a duck, she'd forget how to swim and pull the front feet out, churning furiously, which only pushed the duck out of reach, further frustrating her. I had her swimming as much as possible that entire summer, lots of playing with other dogs and kids and by the end of the summer when she was about 9 mos., she finally stopped doing the puppy paddle. She is a good swimmer now, but not as fast as some of my other dogs.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

He will grow out of hit had the same problem till my pup was 5 months old
    I think he was growing to fast

Large heavier bumpers.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Had one last year that I spent 1 month on SB with and would have washed if not for his owner. I found out by accident that they allowed him to chase feathers at their very large duck camp as a puppy. My theory is he would splash when swimming and his mind told him the water was just like those feathers he chased only months before. Cabo could swim/paddle standing up in one spot for 10 min straight. Try a 3" bumper and if that doesn't do it pull the valve and fill it half up with water to add weight. Physically trying to teach a dog to swim ain't gonna work but persistsence will.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Bass pro has a doggy life jacket vest type thing $26 that I used on one dog a few years ago.It worked after three swims for a 10 month old that could not get the back legs going.

I used a neoprene vest on a 3 yr old that didn't know how to swim. It gave her enough flotation to level out and learn to use those powerful back legs.

Meredith

Along the same lines as the vest - I had a dog with the prolonged puppy swim. The trainer I had her with used a ski belt around her middle lifting her rear. Got her squared away in no time.