The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swimming not Swim By Problems

I will assume your pup ( age unknown) is competative by nature and will race other dogs to get the fun bumper. I run my big dogs with pups in the water to start with and it seems to get the pups moving in a straight line faster and they plane out quicker. Gives them a sight chase goal. Might try it. My guess is he will gow out of it but after a month of water work it would make me start to wonder. Don

My YLF has the same problem. I spent most of last summer in the lake and pools with her lifting her back legs up and planing her. She has not grown out of this, but we also don't have 1/20th the hours spent in water that we spend training on land (due to availability of good water)....so that might be our problem. She will flail and splash until she gets to the bumper (seems like days, usually prepare to dive in after her at least 1-2x) - after the bumper she planes out fine using 3in bumpers or Dokken mallards.
    Has anyone else had luck with the neoprene vests and dogs planing out better?
    During a hunt test can the dog have a vest on? - seems like a silly question, but plain flat collars only from what I read?

Thanks, Matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

No vests allowed at hunt tests. I do know someone that used the ski belt idea and it worked for them too.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Thanks guys. I will be giving these suggestions a try. I really appreciate the help.
    Ed