The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Well when you have a couple " Handlers" take up 1/3 of the entries it doesn't leave many spots open, and then scratch at the last minute NICE......... They might have to go with a "Owner handler" Master, to let the guy who wants to run his own dog a chance to run....
    This might not be a bad idea. Not only would it make it easier for new handlers bringing dogs up from Senior for the first time, but you wouldn't have to run against a truck full of MH's trying to qualify for the Master National. Say what you like but HT's are somewhat competitive and not all the dogs are going to pass even if they meet the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    This might not be a bad idea. Not only would it make it easier for new handlers bringing dogs up from Senior for the first time, but you wouldn't have to run against a truck full of MH's trying to qualify for the Master National. Say what you like but HT's are somewhat competitive and not all the dogs are going to pass even if they meet the standard.
    Why wouldn't they pass if they meet the standard?
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

you wouldn't have to run against a truck full of MH's trying to qualify for the Master National. .
    NO ONE IS RUNNING AGAINST ANY ONE, it's a Hunt Test.

The answer is , if you intend to run enter early.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

A couple of the pros are real good friends of mine, and I am not upset with them. I know they are trying to make a living. But the next closest test to the 90 dog master that the OP was referring to opened yesterday with a 60 dog master. It was full in 15 minutes, I know because I started signing up, and on the last button click it said " sorry, as you were completing your entry, the flight was filled. I guess I need to learn to type faster.

Care to explain how they are competitive?

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

You are not running against ANYONE! You run against a standard that is the same for everyone.
    If you gripe is that an event filled up and closed before you entered, then I suggest you do not wait until the closing date. No competition there, pros often don't have the luxury of waiting until the last minute to plan their upcoming events.
    The flip side of what the OP is bitching about is that many clubs count on pros to fill the test up because they do, in most instances, enter early and that helps a club determine what is needed for the test (birds, workers, food...). One of the biggest gripes I hear about HRC is walk up entries on the day of the event. These make planning almost impossible.

The Thread could have been ended with one simple statement, shut up and enter the test and don't wait until the last minute.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by honkin View Post
    A couple of the pros are real good friends of mine, and I am not upset with them. I know they are trying to make a living. But the next closest test to the 90 dog master that the OP was referring to opened yesterday with a 60 dog master. It was full in 15 minutes, I know because I started signing up, and on the last button click it said " sorry, as you were completing your entry, the flight was filled. I guess I need to learn to type faster.
    According to this, nobody was waiting until the last minute. There is something seriously wrong if this is true.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    According to this, nobody was waiting until the last minute. There is something seriously wrong if this is true.
    Exactly, the OP said that 50 minutes after the event was opened for entries, it was filled up. So, it didn't even take 1 day, 1/2 day, it took less than an hour to fill a 90 dog Master, after Entry Express opened the event for it to max out. The OP titled the thread in a way saying that in this situation the "competition" was for entries limit on the test, not competing in the actual test against a pro, is how I take it.

My advice is keep watching the event and see if scratches happen toward the closing date but yes that is an interesting conundrum to have as that filled up really fast!!

It will be interesting to see how many scratches there are in your WI HT. If the numbers I have calculated for a couple stay around the 20% mark that scratched after closing then it may be up to clubs to track the offenders and not allow them entry based on their abuse of the system history.

Just a thought several of us discussed at training a couple of days ago. Handler/Pros scratch once shame on me, scratch twice red flag, scratch 3 times black listed for a year.

I understand making a living but screwing other competitors is just wrong in this endeavor. That is what scratching after close pros are doing. Cheat in almost any other area and you are out.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

The pros have an obligation to their clients to get the dogs qualified for the master national. All the pros I talk to around here hate the limited entries because like all of us they have to tie up money months in advance to get entered in events. Then if they get lucky and qualify the dog earlier then its a scratch. I don't know what the complaint is really its fair for everyone, get entered early and plan in advance. I managed to get my one dog entered in enough events to finish his title and get him qualified and I am an amateur.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"