The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

If a club is now allowed to limit the number of entries per stake, then they should be allowed to limit the number of entries per handler per stake.
    Along those lines, I once read a well-conceived proposal for limiting entries in Opens, in the spirit of fair play, sportsmanship and the hosting club's best interests.

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I am missing the point here. Why not just enter earlier???
    People can't watch the website 24 hours a day!

The two tests that come to mind are in NE. They filled, both, within a short time of the open. They are not til August and the 90 dog and 60 dog limits are full. I would like to have ran them and have in the past but so be it. I will have to look elsewhere.

I looked at the number of dogs at these two tests and you have 4 to 5 Pros with over 80% of the dogs entered in the events. Then there are 6 to 14 AMs running the balance of the dogs. My initial thought on this is logistics if a honor and walk up are put into the first series. Also, you know the order does not mean anything because it is toast to begin with. They will need some good Marshals at these tests to keep order. All you need is for one of the Pros to enter some Senior or Juniors and then you got some head scratching to do.

They do need to figure something out when you have scratches. Some type of stand by as I would have liked to have that option.
    Last edited by Joe Brakke; 07-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

Not in an effort to diminish personal pain or situation but from a policy perspective on limits, the following are test dates and entry status. I did not carve out MN clubs so we can assume the data is a little slanted. However, not all need to run under MN clubs to title a MH dog.

Tests open for entry through 09/13 show:

14 Masters with limits not full
    5 Masters with limits full

The only full tests have 60 dog limits

The open limited tests have 90 or 180 dog limits

Seems to me the issue is the smaller MN club that has grounds or accommodation issues to begin with.

So is the 'policy' the issue?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

There is a 90 dog limited test in NE for Missouri Valley RC that is at the limit. This test closes on the 5th of August and runs on the 18th.

The comment about the proximity to the National MN test makes sense to me why these filled so soon with Pros and folks planning to run in the NMHT.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Not in an effort to diminish personal pain or situation but from a policy perspective on limits, the following are test dates and entry status. I did not carve out MN clubs so we can assume the data is a little slanted. However, not all need to run under MN clubs to title a MH dog.

Tests open for entry through 09/13 show:

14 Masters with limits not full
    5 Masters with limits full

The only full tests have 60 dog limits

The open limited tests have 90 or 180 dog limits

Seems to me the issue is the smaller MN club that has grounds or accommodation issues to begin with.

So is the 'policy' the issue?
    Did you take into account the 4-5 hour max. travel time limit from Iowa (I'm assuming)? I don't have time to look it up.... That's part of the problem when you don't have deep pockets and not doing it for a living. How is the avgerage joe suppose to play the game when it fills up in 50 minutes by approximately 16 people or so. That's a little over a 5 dog/person avg. Or in this case 5 pros with 72 dogs (~14 dogs/pro). That is getting a little carried away and I could forsee a limit to the # of dogs entered per person but of course that will not limit the pro's helpers/workers entering.

In agility trials the club is allowed to reserve a certain number of running spots for workers. Might not be a bad idea for the hunt tests.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Obvious solution is... Run the other venues NAHRA and HRC hardly ever get bombarded, they are not as great money makers for Pros., a lot of the time you can sign up for the test day of, none of that planning in advance junk You do need to watch those Southern & Anniversary ones, those dang amateurs will try to lock you out, and they never scratch their dogs
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I know that clubs count on the pros to fill up the entry's and with any luck bring some jr and sr dogs to get more dogs in those stakes but also with out the average joe trying to run his own dog it sucks. there must be some sort of comprise. also if the pros cancel there dogs do they get the entry fees back? and also is there a list that people left out can get on if dogs cancel? I am curious I don't know how that works

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    If a club is now allowed to limit the number of entries per stake, then they should be allowed to limit the number of entries per handler per stake.
    Along those lines, I once read a well-conceived proposal for limiting entries in Opens, in the spirit of fair play, sportsmanship and the hosting club's best interests.
    And we know how far that proposal went, the RAC never brought it up for discussion much less a vote.