The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    I am not talking about competing at the event, instead I was talking about competing to get entered into the event. The three closest hunt tests for me, KC , Missouri Valley and Lincoln all filled up in under an hour. If you look at KC for example (closes Aug 19th) you will see that 2 handlers, Lyle Steinman and Chris Akin have 48 dogs entered. Kind of hard to qualify for the MN when you cannot get entered in MN tests.
    Not trying to be argumentative but I know for a fact that KC did NOT fill up in under an hour. On June 14th, there were 14 entries. On June 22nd, there were 31. Not sure exactly when it filled up but certainly wasn't within an hour. If there were OVER 8 days for open registration for KC, the theory that there was insider information seems a little lame...no super-duper software was needed...and there was, in fact, quite a bit of opportunity to get entered and qualify for the MN.
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    It's not uncommon (clearly its the case) that a pro receives inside information on when a test will be open for registration. This is a very slippery slop right now. I've talked to several club members where tests have filled up with 96+% pro dogs, in under 20 min, that swear if this happen again they will not support X club or as volunteers throw another duck.
    There should be someone monitoring that process if it really occurs??? An no one person should have more information on entering any tests than the next person. It should be all equal. I find that issue a bit interesting!!IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    There should be someone monitoring that process if it really occurs??? An no one person should have more information on entering any tests than the next person. It should be all equal. I find that issue a bit interesting!!IMO
    I still find it kinda hard to believe that the average MN club, with a limited entry, would purposefully fill their own event beyond capacity, causing an exclusion of regulars and members. If there was that much intent - you'd think the limit would not be set at 60, or even 90 and that the club might otherwise host a Double master. If leaking info to truck-loads of Pro's - the only intent would be entry revenue and limits of 60 don't smell that way.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Are some thinking that pros are told in advance of when an event is open for entries? When Blackhawk's July event first opened (I finalized it), we had two pros enter within the first week it was open. One had about 20 dogs and the other 14, in a 60-dog limited MH. There was no advance notice made to anyone, as far as I know. Prior to close, both pros cancelled all of their entries. I posted notice on the Events page here that we had 52 MH dogs in two flights and room for more. We closed with 52 dogs. If I were sending out reminders of an event, I would remind Club members so the folks who were going to shoot, throw birds, marshal, make lunches, sort dead birds, haul equipment, etc., etc., etc. had a chance at entering.
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 08-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

When we ran our dog in AKC MH in the mid-90's, we had very large numbers of dogs in the MH stake. It was nothing to start on Saturday morning and finish very late on Sunday, and all the MH dogs were in one flight. I recall one we ran at Fox Valley in WI that had 83 dogs in the Master with one set of judges. These large MH stakes were a lot of work for the Club, the judges, and the handlers. I am guessing that handlers complained to the AKC that the stakes were too large, and dogs were being eliminated and not judged to a standard (just a guess). When the AKC imposed the requirement to split the stakes several years ago, clubs were not asked if they had grounds or members or equipment to comply with the required splits and still host a quality event. I am "guessing" that clubs pushed for limits on entries to balance things out. As someone who has worked at AKC events for a few years, I appreciate the ability to limit entries. It allows our clubs to host better quality events.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    I appreciate the ability to limit entries. It allows our clubs to host better quality events.
    I don't think BH could ever host anything less than a quality event. Great people, grounds and help and always a good time.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!