The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 316

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

  1. #111
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTannery View Post
    Saw this all coming when they announced they were going to be limiting entries. Some clubs here in Texas had tests that well over 100 Master entries on a regular basis. All the sudden those same clubs go to 60-90 entries...One of my dogs is now with a field trial pro and my 9 year old master dog is semi-retired hunting and just running ukc stuff when Time permits. But this may have been what the AKC politicians wanted to happen. Too many Master National entries. Also with less tests being run, won't that decrease the number of judges needed?
    What I don't get is that these clubs did manage to put on multiple flights last year. While I understand the difficulties associated with multiple flights I am at a loss to understand how they could manage to run all comers last year and this year they can't.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  2. #112
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,076

    Default

    The whole thing sounds like a hassle... Who needs all that? Too many other things to do.
    Bill Davis

  3. #113
    Senior Member JamesTannery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    What I don't get is that these clubs did manage to put on multiple flights last year. While I understand the difficulties associated with multiple flights I am at a loss to understand how they could manage to run all comers last year and this year they can't.
    I would think the more dogs, the more money in the clubs bank account...Good thing, right? More money for club training days, grounds, equipment, etc.

  4. #114
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTannery View Post
    Saw this all coming when they announced they were going to be limiting entries. Some clubs here in Texas had tests that well over 100 Master entries on a regular basis. All the sudden those same clubs go to 60-90 entries...One of my dogs is now with a field trial pro and my 9 year old master dog is semi-retired hunting and just running ukc stuff when Time permits. But this may have been what the AKC politicians wanted to happen. Too many Master National entries. Also with less tests being run, won't that decrease the number of judges needed?
    2 day master tests split at 60 and 3 day tests split at 90. 100 dog entries would mean another test, 2 more judges, workers, grounds, etc.

    It's obvious in this thread how many have never chaired a test.

    This close to MN in this region - it would be likely club tests would be forced to splits they couldn't possibly accommodate.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  5. #115
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTannery View Post
    I would think the more dogs, the more money in the clubs bank account...Good thing, right? More money for club training days, grounds, equipment, etc.
    That is the way our club feels. Would we rather have a single master? Sure, but 60 more dogs at $75/each is an extra $4500 in revenue. Yes it is a lot more work, but the real expenses are not that much. We figure $400 per judge so $800 and another $600-800 for birds and $500 for paid help for that flight. We are looking at about $2100-2400 in "extra" cost and bring in $4500 leaving a nice profit for the club. Win win. The club is happy, members run their dogs, pros run their dogs and all the club members go home worn out. If you are not worn out after hosting a HT you are not doing it right regardless of the number of flights. I know when I go to my clubs test I am going to work my ass off and don't expect to spend much time sitting around the gallery. Much like hosting a party at your home, to are going t do more work than relaxing.
    Granted some clubs just don't have the grounds, but like I said if they managed last year what is the difference this year? We have somewhat limited water and sometimes one flight may have to wait for another to finish, but we always get it done in time for everyone to get home Sunday (well one exception, but that was poor time management by the judges, never a good idea to run a series that takes 20 mins per dog n a Sunday afternoon.).
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  6. #116
    Senior Member JamesTannery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    2 day master tests split at 60 and 3 day tests split at 90. 100 dog entries would mean another test, 2 more judges, workers, grounds, etc.

    It's obvious in this thread how many have never chaired a test.

    This close to MN in this region - it would be likely club tests would be forced to splits they couldn't possibly accommodate.
    You're right, never chaired a test, just thrown birds,carried and set up equipment, marshalled and ran some. Clubs managed before the limits and did alright.

  7. #117
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    That is the way our club feels. Would we rather have a single master? Sure, but 60 more dogs at $75/each is an extra $4500 in revenue. Yes it is a lot more work, but the real expenses are not that much. We figure $400 per judge so $800 and another $600-800 for birds and $500 for paid help for that flight. We are looking at about $2100-2400 in "extra" cost and bring in $4500 leaving a nice profit for the club. Win win. The club is happy, members run their dogs, pros run their dogs and all the club members go home worn out. If you are not worn out after hosting a HT you are not doing it right regardless of the number of flights. I know when I go to my clubs test I am going to work my ass off and don't expect to spend much time sitting around the gallery. Much like hosting a party at your home, to are going t do more work than relaxing.
    Granted some clubs just don't have the grounds, but like I said if they managed last year what is the difference this year? We have somewhat limited water and sometimes one flight may have to wait for another to finish, but we always get it done in time for everyone to get home Sunday (well one exception, but that was poor time management by the judges, never a good idea to run a series that takes 20 mins per dog n a Sunday afternoon.).
    More dogs doesn't always mean higher profit. or profit, per additional. There is a 'right amount' of dogs per grounds, help, judge cost, banquet facility and raffle.

    That said - if i was in that region and as a club had the grounds, wanted to put $$ in the bank, and could manage the resources - it is an ideal opportunity for a 3 day double master either allowing a spit or at minimum, 2 90 dog tests. Or a 3 day master allowing splits and a 2 day with a 60 dog limited entry.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  8. #118
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTannery View Post
    You're right, never chaired a test, just thrown birds,carried and set up equipment, marshalled and ran some. Clubs managed before the limits and did alright.
    I'm sure plenty of club workers not on the HT committee or chairing the test think that.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  9. #119
    Senior Member JamesTannery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    I'm sure plenty of club workers not on the HT committee or chairing the test think that.
    Maybe. Maybe not. You must have chaired a lot of clubs hunt tests.

  10. #120
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    More dogs doesn't always mean higher profit. or profit, per additional. There is a 'right amount' of dogs per grounds, help, judge cost, banquet facility and raffle.

    That said - if i was in that region and as a club had the grounds, wanted to put $$ in the bank, and could manage the resources - it is an ideal opportunity for a 3 day double master either allowing a spit or at minimum, 2 90 dog tests. Or a 3 day master allowing splits and a 2 day with a 60 dog limited entry.

    Sure. Having 65 dogs doesn't help and will probably end up costing more than you make. I was going from the example I used above with the MO club that has a 90 limit vs 150 dogs entered last year. I am sure every club has fallen into that grey area were they have just over the split number and end up loosing money by having 5-10 dogs over the split.
    I suggest if your club is close to having to split at a low number of "extra" dogs that members get on the phone and find a pro to bring his truck down. We have offered incentives like paying part or all of their hotel to fill up the second flight enough to make money. Nobody said it is easy.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •