The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    that members get on the phone and find a pro to bring his truck down. We have offered incentives like paying part or all of their hotel to fill up the second flight enough to make money.
    Is paying for part or all of a pro's hotel bill allowable per AKC ? Sounds like it would be illegal (or at least inappropriate) to me.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Is paying for part or all of a pro's hotel bill allowable per AKC ? Sounds like it would be illegal (or at least inappropriate) to me.
    I have no idea what club BBG was referring to but the payment of any inducement is against the regs and is grounds for disciplinary action by the AKC.

As follows:

"No Special Inducements. A hunt test-giving club
    which accepts an entry fee other than that published in its
    premium list or entry form, or in any way discriminates
    between entrants, shall be disciplined. No club or member
    of any club shall give or offer to give any owner or handler
    any special inducements, such as reduced entry fees,
    allowances for board or transportation or other incentive
    of value for a certain number of entries or shall give or
    offer to give in consideration of entering a certain number
    of dogs, any prizes or prize money, except the officially
    advertised prizes or prize money, which prize money shall
    be for a stated sum or a portion of the entry fees. Except a
    club, at its discretion, may allow for a reduced entry fee for
    dogs handled by juniors. A junior handler is someone less
    than 18 years of age on the first day of the test."

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTannery View Post
    But this may have been what the AKC politicians wanted to happen.
    The limits were proposed by several clubs to the HTRAC who forwarded the reccomendation on to AKC for approval. There was communication from the HTRAC to all clubs (at least all MNRC clubs) regarding the proposal and they solicited input from the clubs before acting. I can assure you the limits were not "what the AKC politicians wanted."

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    I can assure you the limits were not "what the AKC politicians wanted."
    Who are "the AKC politicians"?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I would help, and I would imagine that the rest of the folks in my club who work events would help. In fact, I typically don't enter my dogs in our hunt tests unless we need the entries so I can concentrate on what needs to be done. The way I see it is that we put on our events primarily to raise $ for the club, so we can afford things like training days, club trials etc., and also to host other folks in the region to an event to reciprocate for their holding events for me to run.
    How do most people feel about working an event that is put on by a club they are not a member of? I see some people who pitch in no matter whose club is hosting. Then you see the same people who wouldn't lift a finger. What's the general consensus? Do you feel that you paid your $ and therefore it's not your responsibility to work or do you feel a sense of wanting to pitch in and be a part of the test? I am talking about HTs and not FTs, but again have seen folks pitch in there too.

I'm more apt to work if I know I'll be respected in the process and not left out in the field with no concern for my dog's needs and getting ready to run. Love the folks who pay attention and say if you could just work for 10 dogs we would really appreciate it and then don't forget about you!

The other piece of this from the original poster's point of view is that it's a bit discouraging to not even be able to run your own club's event or one in close proximity. The pro has to make his/her living and they are not to blame, but somehow the average owner/trainer who spends what spare time they can training and has to run when the tests are in their area needs a sense of security that he is going to be able to get the title they've trained for.

If manpower is the issue than maybe if more folks stepped up to help out clubs wouldn't feel as much of a need to limit entries.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    And you wondered how you were going to entertain yourself after the Zimmerman trial was over.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I can speak for only one No. CA club who decided to limit entries. Our grounds are limited. We can run two master flights and no more which is why we limited both flights to 60 dogs each (max entries 120). We also run double Senior and Junior tests -- one each on Sat and one each on Sunday swopping judges.

It has been suggested that since the MN will be held in CA next year, that we drop doing the double Sr. and Jr. and put on a 3rd flight of masters. We are thinking about that suggestion, but ... the grounds used for the Seniors and Juniors may not be best for a third master. Lots of cogitating needed to change to 3 master flights. Do-able, but maybe not ideal. Plus, we have not experienced HUGE master entries. Maybe next year we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Handler in Training View Post

Plus, lets take out everything that I don't know as complete fact personally....I checked at 8:30am and the test was not finalized. I checked again at 5:00pm and the test was full. It is pretty hard for me to imagine any way that a pro could have had the time to sit on their computer between these times unless they knew that they needed to be. I had been checking EE every day at approximately these times for two weeks. Were these other people sitting in front of their computer every day for 2 weeks all day long? Not likely. They had information that Joe Dog Trainer and myself did not. Puts a pretty sour taste in a guy's mouth. Gonna make it pretty hard to recruit and keep new people in this game if the newbies and amateurs don't even have the opportunity to play. They might have well called it the Missouri Valley Hunt Club Summer Invitational.
    So we have no verification that the tests in question closed in 50 minutes, but sometime between 0830 and 1700 your time zone?
    As to "sitting in front of a computer" all day every day, out east here we have these things called "smart-phones" and "i-pads" and such. Makes it easy to stay in contact with important stuff. And if a handler - pro or not - has all of his/her dogs listed on EE it's 1 click per dog to enter. So entering 10 dogs might take a second longer than a single dog.
    Sorry you did not get to enter the test you wanted to but not every chance occurrence is the result of some nefarious conspiracy. Maybe next time you could volunteer to be HT Sec'y. Then you'd have no trouble entering on time.
    Last edited by Good Dogs; 07-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I meant to ask that meself.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    So we have no verification that the tests in question closed in 50 minutes, but sometime between 0830 and 1700 your time zone?
    As to "sitting in front of a computer" all day every day, out east here we have these things called "smart-phones" and "i-pads" and such. Makes it easy to stay in contact with important stuff. And if a handler - pro or not - has all of his/her dogs listed on EE it's 1 click per dog to enter. So entering 10 dogs might take a second longer than a single dog.
    Sorry you did not get to enter the test you wanted to but not every chance occurrence is the result of some nefarious conspiracy. Maybe next time you could volunteer to be HT Sec'y. Then you'd have no trouble entering on time.
    It is easier to believe the club got caught off-guard than the club Secretary thought screwing its own members for two pro trucks was a good idea.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon