The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Who are "the AKC politicians"?
    Maybe poor choice of wording on my part but this was just an excerpt from the post. What I was referring to was limited entries in the weekend hunt test would mean less dogs qualifying for the Master Nationals, and wasn't that the reason the proposal came from the clubs that are master national members?

Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    Just out of curiosity.... what, exactly is the attraction of a HT title you didn't earn yourself?
    Or any other title for that matter?

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTannery View Post
    Maybe poor choice of wording on my part but this was just an excerpt from the post. What I was referring to was limited entries in the weekend hunt test would mean less dogs qualifying for the Master Nationals, and wasn't that the reason the proposal came from the clubs that are master national members?
    I know little of Hunt Tests and I am not qualified to make an intelligent comment about the political side but my 40 years in field trials give me a perspective on the issues the Hunt Test community faces, i.e. more dogs handled by professional trainers and fewer participating and /or involved owners. The trend in field trials is at least 2 decades old and we have yet to find a solution even though many seem to recognize the problem. When an event is held and the people who put on the event cannot enter their dogs a problem of near monumental proportions exists. Good luck with finding a solution, the problem will not get better it will only get worse.

I have an entry in the test that closed so quick for a small fee of $150 I will tell you the exact moment I will scratch so you can enter your dog....JUST KIDDING!!
    Before you jump on the Pro Secretary conspiracy theory.... A pro with 20 dogs entered might have 20 people watching entry express to see when a test opens. If I had a dog with a pro and an upcoming test in a MN area I might well be watching very closely when a test opens and tell my Pro. Knowing the Secretary also helps, not because they will tell me but because I knw when the work and when they are likely to be setting up the test on EE and opening it.
    One final thought... since demand has out grown supply now would be a great time for certain clubs to add $10 or $20 or $30 to their entry fees. This is the other way to control the number of entries and you might be able to hire workers for the test to make it run smoother.
    This also might be a good time for new clubs to be formed in regions where a spike in entries is expected...
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I would help, and I would imagine that the rest of the folks in my club who work events would help. In fact, I typically don't enter my dogs in our hunt tests unless we need the entries so I can concentrate on what needs to be done. The way I see it is that we put on our events primarily to raise $ for the club, so we can afford things like training days, club trials etc., and also to host other folks in the region to an event to reciprocate for their holding events for me to run.
    This is true sportsmanship. Thanks for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Is paying for part or all of a pro's hotel bill allowable per AKC ? Sounds like it would be illegal (or at least inappropriate) to me.

Ok, good idea but not allowable. My mistake and I should have known that. I am reminded that we have not done that. We have paid pros to deliver birds from GA since getting birds in Florida is difficult. That has been gas and hotel. Not an incentive to run the test, incentive to bring us birds.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 07-13-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    One final thought... since demand has out grown supply now would be a great time for certain clubs to add $10 or $20 or $30 to their entry fees. This is the other way to control the number of entries ...
    It does not matter what the entry fees are, professional trainers do not make decisions based on entry fees, owners receive a bill each month and entry fees are not a deal breaker. The club would surely make more money but the entry would not be impacted at all.

I think that would be more likely to impact the AM entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Or any other title for that matter?

Lonnie Spann
    Now is the issue the pros in this MH venue are getting all the spots? and it is hard for Am. to get their dogs in? An easy answer IMO b/c I am still not sure I see the problem is to run the dog yourself. This to me is more rewarding whether you pass or fail. IMHO Does not mean you can't hire the pro to help you along your journey! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

How many owners do you see riding their horse in the Kentucky Derby?

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON