The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    How many owners do you see riding their horse in the Kentucky Derby?

JS
    How many have the physical attributes to allow them to jockey a horse? Not really apples to oranges there.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

I just want to say that this just baffles me. In my neck of the woods we just hope for enough entries to not go broke. In the entire region I am in I have only seen a master go over 60 and have to be split 1 time. what a difference a few miles can make.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBoley View Post
    How many have the physical attributes to allow them to jockey a horse? Not really apples to oranges there.
    Ya, just being a little facetious there. I don't think it would be much fun having someone else do it for me either. Just saying , to each, their own. Lots of reasons someone might use a pro.

This whole thread is about pot stirrin'

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

[QUOTE=JS;1126102]Ya, just being a little facetious there. I don't think it would be much fun having someone else do it for me either. Just saying , to each, their own. Lots of reasons someone might use a pro.[\QUOTE]

If you are new, you would use a pro to teach you more than the dog. Otherwise, you either have (i) Joe Blow setting up his car, building the engine, and running it at the Talladega NASCAR race, or (ii) having Jimmie Johnson's crew build a car and then hand it to Joe Blow to run in the race. Neither probably ends well.

You still have at least a little of (ii) until you get some experience as a handler, but it's better than (i).
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    Just out of curiosity.... what, exactly is the attraction of a HT title you didn't earn yourself?
    I would say that depends heavily on what you mean when by "earn yourself." Do you specifically mean running them in the tests or is it broader than that?

If it is running, I would love to be able to run my dog every time, and I have been lucky enough to do it so far. However, in my profession, if I am not in my chair I am very likely not making money. Also, sometimes my job is like pouring concrete in that it works you instead of you working it, and you have to work it while it is wet. I will undoubtedly have a time or two while trying to get an MH title that I will have to get a pro to run him.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

The issue is that we live in a finite world. Apparently on Spag's planet there is always room for more people that bring nothing, add nothing and leave before the bill comes due. In actual fact MANY of the clubs are basically a handful of people that are still willing (for reasons known only to the maker) to volunteer their resources to ensure that the game can continue. We are in critically short supply of those folks and after a whole bunch of years the fun is about to run out. So how do we deal with this? Limits are not the best answer but it is a way for the club to ensure that they aren't overwhelmed by a couple of folks that bring nothing but an appetite, and leave noting but a lingering trail of dust. We live in fear of the 62 dog entry (that inevitably scratches back to 58) but in the meantime means that we are scrambling to find the resources to split knowing full well that we are going to lose money in the process. So someone's ox is going to get gored- why on earth would any rational person NOT expect that to be the parasites?

If you think that your entry fee is sufficient contribution- stay the #^&* home!!!! Sitting around on your keister proclaiming that you would love to help but _____________ is just BS there are PLENTY of ways to help regardless of physical capabilities. It really doesn't matter what a person does for a living- including training dogs there are LOTS of ways to help out.
    I'm in complete agreement with Todd- how much fun could it be to watch someone else run your dog??
    Reminds me of the old joke where the kids Mom told him to ring the doorbell with his elbow cause she just knew his hands would be full.

If you don't contribute your fair share you ain't welcome regards

Bubba

Rant mode over- It's my birthday and I'm off to finish that bottle of Miss Emma that Ida sent home.
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    The issue is that we live in a finite world. Apparently on Spag's planet there is always room for more people that bring nothing, add nothing and leave before the bill comes due. In actual fact MANY of the clubs are basically a handful of people that are still willing (for reasons known only to the maker) to volunteer their resources to ensure that the game can continue. We are in critically short supply of those folks and after a whole bunch of years the fun is about to run out. So how do we deal with this? Limits are not the best answer but it is a way for the club to ensure that they aren't overwhelmed by a couple of folks that bring nothing but an appetite, and leave noting but a lingering trail of dust. We live in fear of the 62 dog entry (that inevitably scratches back to 58) but in the meantime means that we are scrambling to find the resources to split knowing full well that we are going to lose money in the process. So someone's ox is going to get gored- why on earth would any rational person NOT expect that to be the parasites?

If you think that your entry fee is sufficient contribution- stay the #^&* home!!!! Sitting around on your keister proclaiming that you would love to help but _____________ is just BS there are PLENTY of ways to help regardless of physical capabilities. It really doesn't matter what a person does for a living- including training dogs there are LOTS of ways to help out.
    I'm in complete agreement with Todd- how much fun could it be to watch someone else run your dog??
    Reminds me of the old joke where the kids Mom told him to ring the doorbell with his elbow cause she just knew his hands would be full.

If you don't contribute your fair share you ain't welcome regards

Bubba

Rant mode over- It's my birthday and I'm off to finish that bottle of Miss Emma that Ida sent home.
    Happy Birthday.
    I agree with you. Now what do you do when something like this happens and three pros make up the full field of entries? I would be tempted to say screw it I am not going and working when I can't run my own dogs. Being that I am almost always on the HT committee that is really to an option. I think the MO club put themselves in this position by limiting entries. It seems it didn't stop the pro entries and only knocked out the very club members who wanted to limit entries in the first place.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Ya, just being a little facetious there. I don't think it would be much fun having someone else do it for me either. Just saying , to each, their own. Lots of reasons someone might use a pro.

JS

There may be an element of pot stirring here, but at its heart is what I think is a key issue.

How do we protect the workers who put on the trials for others? They, more than anyone else, should be provided a spot in the trial.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

For a moment, set aside pros and set aside this particular instance--

Isn't the problem that there is the perception, possibility, and/or at least potential truth that the limited entries rules allow some people to use inside information to get in, ensuring an "underclass" can then be left out?

This is as much about popular v. unpopular, or wealthy v. poor, or good ol' boys v. li'l gal, or sympathetic v. unsympathetic, annoying v. likeable, or sec's friends v. those unknown, or or or...???

none of which have anything to do with the quality of the dog/handler team?
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

JS
    Not pot stirring! JMO that training and running your dog is satisfying to me. I do respect reasons for not running your dog, b/c there are always circumstances. JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray