The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
    Ed you have hit the nail on the head!

The way to sort this out is some clubs dropping their membership in the Master National Retriever Club. As Grandaddy pointed out Master tests are a break even proposition at best for most clubs. It's time for a lot of clubs to take a long hard look at whether or not to continue their involvment with the MNRC. Is continued membership in your clubs members best interest or not? The way it sounds for a lot of clubs with limited resources, it isn't.
    I'd guess a large number of MN clubs have field trial roots and much of the active, working, contributing membership - have MN dogs.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    I'd guess a large number of MN clubs have field trial roots and much of the active, working, contributing membership - have MN dogs.
    Be careful not to over estimate the number of MN dogs in a club. I can count ALL of the participating MN dogs in our club over the last 20 years on ONE hand.

Be careful not to over estimate the number of MN dogs in a club. I can count ALL of the participating MN dogs in our club over the last 20 years on ONE hand.
    You have a Golden. Golden club?

I am not over -estimating the MN dogs, my point is active, working, test/club contributing members in a MN club - probably appreciate running their own test venues as a MN club.

You have a Golden. Golden club?
    Actually all breed, including fluffy dogs. (and we are a field trial club)

So what problem is solved by MN clubs without a lot MN member interest, dropping out?

We're a MN club we we welcome the extra entries. We also like being able to manage entries if needed.

Ah honorable Swampcollie .... that is it. The club can take this back if that is what they want. Just opt out of the MN membership! The test will become more of the club's and local's test again rather than the monster test for pro entries. Our club seriously looked at opting out of the MN membership when they decided to increase membership fees but they pulled back on that idea at the time. The argument to stay "in" was "what will happen to our entries that are driven by MN campaigns. Well we now know what happens to our entries if we stay in the MN.

3 years ago the club decided to hand out MN pins to members that passed a MN test, I think we handed out pins to two or three different folks in the club over the past three years. Just an example of the numbers of club membership that go to that level. BTW, they deserved the pins.

You are right, the MN changes in prestige and the title has been a game changer.

It will be interesting how clubs evolve from here, do they become an empty shell that its only purpose is to hold a test or two each year or will it be a gathering of like minded folks sharing their excitement for a sport?
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

Threads like this always amaze and amuse me... People put on their saint hats with their holier than thou attitudes ..... When we have all seen them at their worst. Just got my chuckle for the day!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Spag - you a member of a MN club and if so have you been on the HT committee or acted as Chair?
    Regrettably....no.
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

Spag - you a member of a MN club and if so have you been on the HT committee or acted as Chair?
    r u ? have you? if so which club? in my case the answer to all the questions is yes I was.
    Committee-yes Chair-yes, Pres-yes, VP- yes, Board-yes, help-yes, help-yes, help-yes, help-yes, help-yes, help-yes,...........

You anonymously weigh in A LOT on a lot of topics, 22 times on this one alone, I think it is about time for you to identify yourself..

john

John Fallon
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Sounds like the HT world has a "good problem" on their hands. So any disgruntled HT'ers entries close on monday (maybe tuesday) for NW retriever club's summer field trial, we won't turn you away and would welcome you with open arms.....BYOB...& dog
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson