The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

Junior Member Handler in Training's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Hang on... 50 minutes to fill one test and 15 minutes to fill another, filled by pros primarily?

That means someone is getting the heads up as to EXACTLY when the test will be finalized so that can sit and enter multiple dogs quickly.

If that's the case there are a whole bunch of people involved and it's not a very fair situation.

Just what the sport needs long term, more ways to close it off to the regular Joe.

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Malarky View Post
    I know that they have Snowden held up in Russia, but do you think that we can some how get in touch with him & get him to release the information as to who is responsible for this. It is really sad & screwed up. I know according to the OP that the pros are in on it, but the responsible party is the one that let this info out so they could take advantage of it. I still think Snowden is the answer!!!
    I sure hope this happens after dark or the pros involved have assistants. I ran 20 dogs a day for a couple of years and let me tell ya... There isn't any daylight available for a good pro to be sitting in front of his computer WAITING for a test to open.
    Darrin Greene

Think I will play elsewhere until AKC gets this straightened out.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Think I will play elsewhere until AKC gets this straightened out.

Lonnie Spann
    You're gonna run out of playgrounds before long!

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I'm not saying the Pro shouldn't make a living, rather I was going down the path Darrin pointed out (but in less obvious terms). If they're running 20 dogs, and doing it well, they ain't sitting around but someone is for them to get them all in at the right time......

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Obvious solution is... Run the other venues NAHRA and HRC hardly ever get bombarded, they are not as great money makers for Pros., a lot of the time you can sign up for the test day of, none of that planning in advance junk You do need to watch those Southern & Anniversary ones, those dang amateurs will try to lock you out, and they never scratch their dogs
    AKC and Master tests is the gold standard for HT dogs. that is why the other venues feel less pressure for numbers.

MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    You're gonna run out of playgrounds before long!

JS
    What I was thinking
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Number Seven View Post
    Exactly, the OP said that 50 minutes after the event was opened for entries, it was filled up. So, it didn't even take 1 day, 1/2 day, it took less than an hour to fill a 90 dog Master, after Entry Express opened the event for it to max out. The OP titled the thread in a way saying that in this situation the "competition" was for entries limit on the test, not competing in the actual test against a pro, is how I take it.

My advice is keep watching the event and see if scratches happen toward the closing date but yes that is an interesting conundrum to have as that filled up really fast!!
    Wow, if that's true, it's going to be like buying concert tickets.. sold out fast. Not an unexpected consequence though given the ratio of pros to actual owner/handlers.. It's been like that at the Master level for some time.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard Mugger View Post
    I'm not saying the Pro shouldn't make a living, rather I was going down the path Darrin pointed out (but in less obvious terms). If they're running 20 dogs, and doing it well, they ain't sitting around but someone is for them to get them all in at the right time......
    My thoughts exactly. I think we should find out who these culprits are & then we should use waterboarding techniques to get the answers we want. I think I have been watching to much NEWS about our Government!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    Exactly, Darrin. Those who actually bothered to read the OP's post and his friend's post seem to be the only ones to get what the problem is. Too many people here on RTF who don't bother to read before they type.

It's not about bashing pros, it's about bashing insider trading no matter who you are.
    Is there/what is the rule regarding sharing the finalized date?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon