The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    Exactly, Darrin. Those who actually bothered to read the OP's post and his friend's post seem to be the only ones to get what the problem is. Too many people here on RTF who don't bother to read before they type.

It's not about bashing pros, it's about bashing insider trading no matter who you are.
    Is there/what is the rule regarding sharing the finalized date?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

I hope this thread is brought to the attention of the AKC and is noticed by the boards of the various clubs.
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Is there/what is the rule regarding sharing the finalized date?
    I'm not sure there can be a rule. Club members would naturally be informed.
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    I'm not sure there can be a rule. Club members would naturally be informed.
    That's what I'm thinking. I've not been a HT Secretary and hopefully never am. Just curious about the 'unscrupulous' talk within the thread regarding midnight secret meetings and insider trading. Easier to address situation in separation of fact and fiction.

There's an easy fix to this. Any time a club limits entries, they should put in their premium when it will open for entries. This can easily be done before finalizing the event, so people have a chance to see it.

There's not a rule requiring it, but if they did, it would put the conspiracy talk to rest (maybe...for a second or two...)

I had thought this was discussed as part of the rule when you limit entries, but I may be mistaken, or it may have gotten edited out of the final version.
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

Is there any chance of having the entry system work as a lottery instead of first entered gets the spot in limited entry tests? Allow all entries to be accepted into the draw for a certain time period (say a week for getting your entry into the draw) before having the lottery drawn. There would have to be a 3rd party do the lottery to make it fair though.

Could there be a way for the AKC or a software program on EE do the lottery draw and post those that are entered into a limited entry test? This same software could also draw the order of dogs on the waiting list for replacing any scratches. This would make it fair for Joe Hunter entering his dog and local pros trying to enter multiple dogs...every dog has the same chance of being entered into the test.

The logistics of running a test with 80% of the dogs being run by 2 or 3 people is a different issue on its own.

Just a thought from someone outside looking in....

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    Is there any chance of having the entry system work as a lottery instead of first entered gets the spot in limited entry tests? Allow all entries to be accepted into the draw for a certain time period (say a week for getting your entry into the draw) before having the lottery drawn. There would have to be a 3rd party do the lottery to make it fair though.

Could there be a way for the AKC or a software program on EE do the lottery draw and post those that are entered into a limited entry test? This same software could also draw the order of dogs on the waiting list for replacing any scratches. This would make it fair for Joe Hunter entering his dog and local pros trying to enter multiple dogs...every dog has the same chance of being entered into the test.

The logistics of running a test with 80% of the dogs being run by 2 or 3 people is a different issue on its own.

Just a thought from someone outside looking in....
    If I am a club member throwing birds most of the day I would like to at least have a guarantee of running my dog in my own test.

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    Not if you cannot get entered.
    How does a test finalize and 50 minutes later the 90 dog limit is reached? HMMMMM
    Where (what state) is this happening? (90 entries in 50 minutes???!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in Portland View Post
    There's an easy fix to this. Any time a club limits entries, they should put in their premium when it will open for entries. This can easily be done before finalizing the event, so people have a chance to see it.

There's not a rule requiring it, but if they did, it would put the conspiracy talk to rest (maybe...for a second or two...)

I had thought this was discussed as part of the rule when you limit entries, but I may be mistaken, or it may have gotten edited out of the final version.
    Good point. Only question is I think some finalization is based on things unpredictable to a specific date. Like listing judges for stakes.

Before an event can be finalized on Entry Express by the club's Event Secretary, AKC has to approve the judging slate and the event's premium. After everything has been approved by AKC, the Event Secretary can "finalize". Once finalized (a click of the FINALIZE button by the Event Secretary), the event is open for entries.