The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible For An Amateur To Compete against Pros In Hunt Tests?

Quote Originally Posted by BMay View Post
    I think those people that are trying to get a Master title on their dog(s) should look into running their dogs at a "Non Master National Member" club. I know they a few here and there and a Master National running pro will usually stay away from entering at those club events. You may have to travel a bit further, but you're more than welcomed to enter at their events. They seldom, if ever, have the need to split their entries. Just food for thought>>>>>>
    It's a good idea in theory but, many people (myself included) really like to enter their local events. And if those happen to be MN clubs with limited entries and you find yourself in a situation like the OP described, it's kind of a slap in the face (and wallet) to find another test that might be an 8 - 10 hr. drive away, MN member or not, just to run your dog, because certain people had insider info. on date/time an event opened that you weren't privy to.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    It's a good idea in theory but, many people (myself included) really like to enter their local events. And if those happen to be MN clubs with limited entries and you find yourself in a situation like the OP described, it's kind of a slap in the face (and wallet) to find another test that might be an 8 - 10 hr. drive away, MN member or not, just to run your dog, because certain people had insider info. on date/time an event opened that you weren't privy to.
    Not suggesting it's not disappointing but doesn't this issue transfer across different regions of the country each year and only at certain times of the test year, like just ahead of the MN in the region?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

It sounds like the amateurs who run and financially support hunt tests have lost control of their sport to professional trainers who depend on amateurs for their livelihood.

Tail Wagging The Dog Regards

Regrettably Ed, I think all the dog games are headed in that direction.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

if everyone had to snail mail the check and enter old school and we did the random draw out of a salad bowl on the test secs kitchen table none of this would be an issue. This is all Shayne's fault! Pesky little ferret changed the sport, he did.
    And we all went Woo Hoo this is great! Well?????????????????????????????? hows it working out? Nobody saw this comming?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    It sounds like the amateurs who run and financially support hunt tests have lost control of their sport to professional trainers who depend on amateurs for their livelihood.

Tail Wagging The Dog Regards
    , ,

I agree, watched at least a dozen "owners" last weekend come forward to collect the ribbon there dog and "pro" earned for them, and can't recall any of them stepping forward to help out either, guess it's more fun to sit in a chair and watch your dog and collect a ribbon at the end of the day than participate, I can see if you want your dog to run the MN and you don't have the time or finances to do it your self then fine send the dog with someone to run it but the weekend hunt tests are a different story, run the dog yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Think I will play elsewhere until AKC gets this straightened out.

Lonnie Spann
    Lonnie, you are welcome in any test I am associated with!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    if everyone had to snail mail the check and enter old school and we did the random draw out of a salad bowl on the test secs kitchen table none of this would be an issue. This is all Shayne's fault! Pesky little ferret changed the sport, he did.
    And we all went Woo Hoo this is great! Well?????????????????????????????? hows it working out? Nobody saw this comming?
    Good point....

So if there's a Master HT that is limited to 90 dogs and there are 120 dogs that want to run, there will be 30 who are SOL, right?

How do any of the "solutions" offered remedy that situation? Limit number of dogs per handler, eliminate pros, eliminate EE,. etc ... there will still be 30 dogs that get shut out.

Just a matter of which ones.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I've spent an hour reading and my own two-dog self is thinking, this is really, really bad. I didn't see this coming. I am a little bit afraid I might have voted for it somehow? Seemed like a good idea at the time...

Trying to think of solutions:

* OWNER must enter, not handler (nor handler's assistant--hard to monitor--but 20 entries coming from the same IP might be a tip-off to abusers?)
    * Date and time of opening for entries must be published at least (one month?) in advance.
    * Wait list, in order of entry.
    * Scratches for injury, death, and in-season only; must be sent by the vet to EE and refund must come through Ee.

That's all I've got.

Technology is convenient when it doesn't screw everything up.
    Last edited by luvalab; 07-12-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH