RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Tx trainers

17K views 39 replies 32 participants last post by  Wayne Nutt 
#1 ·
All right texas guys or gals. I'm picking up my dog this weekend out of FC AFC Trumarc's Hollandaise x Tioga's Pipe Dream Smoothie MH
Im new to the field trial and hunt test thing. Looking to run my dog in field test.. I'm looking for a trainer I'm looking for a trainer that is honest and gonna shoot me straight and tell the dogs potential...

Please tell me some trainers in texas that y'all have used

#8 ·
Tony beat me to it... if you trust a person as the breeder ,and theyve had success, Im assuming put the MH on the dam, why not go to the source?

#5 ·
Field trials you have your pick if you can get a spot. Tim Milligan, Danny Farmer, Dave rorem, Mark Edwards, Kenny Trott (winters here) Rob Erhard. I am sure I have left some off the list.
Decide on which venue you want to participate in, then contact potential trainers and go visit. Talk to clients and attend events this fall. Most of all have FUN with your pup.

#15 ·
I'd like to add another suggestion to the list: Clayton Taylor recently went out on his own after working for Karl Gunzer and Rody Best. Clayton and his fiance Laura are both wonderful people I've known for several years. Hard working, friendly and definitely someone who will spend time with you to teach you how to handle your dog if you want to run him on your own. Clayton is in Anderson which is in the Bryan/College Station area.

Clayton is running both hunt tests and field trials so he'll be able to introduce you to whatever you're interested in. His business is Muddy Paws Retrievers: www.MuddyPawsRetrievers.com.

Hard working team they have...you should give him a buzz.

#32 ·
I'd like to add another suggestion to the list: Clayton Taylor recently went out on his own after working for Karl Gunzer and Rody Best. Clayton and his fiance Laura are both wonderful people I've known for several years. Hard working, friendly and definitely someone who will spend time with you to teach you how to handle your dog if you want to run him on your own. Clayton is in Anderson which is in the Bryan/College Station area. Clayton is running both hunt tests and field trials so he'll be able to introduce you to whatever you're interested in. His business is Muddy Paws Retrievers: www.MuddyPawsRetrievers.com. Hard working team they have...you should give him a buzz.
I would second a vote for Clayton. I have trained with him several times. He is all of the above and young, excited and hungry.

#18 ·
I would put in a good word for Clayton Taylor as well. He is young, but he works hard and has a good philosophy of teaching dogs, not just frying them with the collar. Hunted and trained with him. Good guy.

#19 ·
Field trial trainers for young dogs--Warrensburg, MO summer/Warda, TX winter--Bobby and Sue George for transitional dogs, Isaac Langerud Forest City,IA summer/Caldwell, TX winter for young/transitional dogs, Bruce Curtis Gilmanton, WI summer/north of Warda, TX winter for young dogs. Hunting test trainers--Angie Becker, Michigan in summer and Denton TX area in winter. Try to choose a pro who lives near enough so you can drive there often and watch training. You will learn so much by watching, and you can learn to handle your dog. And, most importantly, you can ensure your dog is being properly treated and given good care. We've been burned, so make sure you can check in on your dog/trainer.

#21 ·
I took my pup to Matt Larkin when I was having trouble with training and I happened to be in Houston for the summer. He gave me great advice and was very direct and honest which was much appreciated. He helped not only my pup out but myself as a trainer as well. I plan on going back to them.

http://www.crosscreekkennel.com/

#26 ·
For field trial trainers I would highly recommend Clayton Taylor at Muddy Paws retrievers as well. Clayton is one of the rare individuals who has literally questioned and tweaked every aspect of his training program to fit the individual dog and his proven record of taking what others have considered washouts to the line and winning speaks for itself. Through Clayton's guidance I was able to take a young ultra sensitive dog who was plodding on blinds and turn him into a banshee blind runner. Most importantly for Clayton and Laura you cant help but feel the love; the love they have for each individual dog each and the trial game comes off these two in waves. Everyone in this game wants to win and Clayton is winning and will continue to do so. If you haven't been watching you should start because this summers going to be a big one for the Taylors!

If you interested in hunt tests look no further than Chris Krause at Hendricks Kennel. Chris Krause has revitalized hunt test training at Hendricks kennel under the watchful eye of Steve Hendricks who has been training Master Hunter level dogs for over 28 years. Steve's immense experience (approaching 8-9000 dogs through his door or something ridiculous like that) and finesse combined with Chris Krause's incredible drive, determination, and open mind will undoubtedly be a partnership for the ages. They're good old boy attitude will make you feel right at home and their discussion of dog psychology will blow your mind!

#27 ·
For field trial trainers I would highly recommend Clayton Taylor at Muddy Paws retrievers as well. Clayton is one of the rare individuals who has literally questioned and tweaked every aspect of his training program to fit the individual dog and his proven record of taking what others have considered washouts to the line and winning speaks for itself. Through Clayton's guidance I was able to take a young ultra sensitive dog who was plodding on blinds and turn him into a banshee blind runner. Most importantly for Clayton and Laura you cant help but feel the love; the love they have for each individual dog each and the trial game comes off these two in waves. Everyone in this game wants to win and Clayton is winning and will continue to do so. If you haven't been watching you should start because this summers going to be a big one for the Taylors!
No knock on him at all but I could not find one Field Trial where he has taken a dog to the line much less win. I was curious since I did not recognize his name.

#29 ·
A trip to retriever results show him and his dog as the highlight of the week and if you scroll down you will see that he is the top derby professional this year and owns the top derby kennel. He also handled open dogs daily for the many years he worked under Karl Gunzer's tutelage.

#35 ·
I would also recommend Clayton Taylor with Muddy Paws Retrievers. He is doing a very good job with the young dogs. I have trained with him many times and his passion for dogs is out of this world. Check out his website and give him a call you won't be disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.