The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: when is it time to stop?

Default when is it time to stop?

so say your doing lining drills with your pup. he/she is finally doing it. then he shuts down. im talking about 3or4 casts. well i dont want to end on a down but he is board and nothing is going good enough to say its a good time to quit.
    any ideas to keep him going?

If he is board and just saying, no I don't want to, force should probably be used.

If he is confused, DO NOT USE FORCE. Step back and teach through the issue. Lining drills should involve minimal handling.

The big issue is to know which one it is.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by griff68w View Post
    so say your doing lining drills with your pup. he/she is finally doing it. then he shuts down. im talking about 3or4 casts. well i dont want to end on a down but he is board and nothing is going good enough to say its a good time to quit.
    any ideas to keep him going?
    Put away the video's and go train your dog. If this is truly happening with your dog, go run cold blinds

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

he is just learning lining. he isnt doing blinds yet. if we can get through this he will do them. (maybe). lol
    because he is new to lining im learning he reactions to things. i have been teaching the last few days. took yesterday off and ran marks then this morning he finally went from heal. like i said i got 3 or 4 good sends out of him than he shut down. he will take a remote back,over cast 95% of the time. i will try and run him again this after noon and see how it goes.

*I don't know what it is with this boredom thing? IMO, they should never stop. I use drills of many thing from tune-ups to just exercise and all through out their life. I would be looking at other reason why they are quieting. One that comes to mind is not how much, but how long.

My pups I do only 8 to 10 bumpers, with a few fun bumper or short retrieves thrown in. If I don't get what I want, I split it up into two session and have been know to do three, but know more. Some dogs are born with a good work ethic and some you have to build. My older dogs, no more then twenity.

I have noticed in this new fast paced, information age we want thing right away. I will give you a clue, Dog train is more about hard work and dedication, then knowing the latest method or trend.

Good luck to you Keith

truthseeker, that is ont thing i struggle with alot. i train with dogs that are hrch and up. i dream of the day my boy is there and sometimes forget that just because he can run some of the same marks as the big dogs he is still a little guy.

I noticed you were planning to do this twice a day. Bad idea IMHO. Once a day, 12 bumpers is my magic number. Do some marks or something else fun if you have time for a second session. He may just be bored... or confused... or not have a ton of desire... or not adequately forced... or any one of a number of things, but twice a day for a drill like that sucks for the dog (and you).
    Darrin Greene

IMO, dog live in the moment!!! They really don't care, if you are doing retrieves or piles in the afternoon, they will be happy just to be out and about.

Keith

I REALLY DON'T RECOMMEND GETTING TO FAR OFF TASK.
    Last edited by truthseeker; 07-12-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: More