The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Truck and maybe a box

New Mexico-- the back water of the retrieving world

Default New Truck and maybe a box

So we’re beginning our look for a new truck. Our current truck has a camper shell with side win-doors and 3 crates that sit on a platform--- also 3 fans. Instead of going the same route with the new truck we’re thinking we might go with a slide in dog box. On the list of manufacturers we’re considering are Ainley, Deerskin and Jones.

What manufactures should we stay away from? (Per other RTF comments, I think we’ve eliminated Diamond.)
    For the dog box, what are some must haves?
    What are some that aren’t necessary but are nice to have?

Thanks
    Melis
    Nothing will change unless I try. If I try and nothing changes -- at least I try!

Hi Melis! As far as "must haves", first on my list is the fan. Dogs can stay cool in really hot weather with a fan moving air in a well insulated box. Second is be sure there are very secure tie downs to keep the box from moving. That is something we had to improve on our MTCK when we got out here. Going up some of these mountain sides the box would slip. Get the best you can up front!

It would be nice to have airing lights and or spot. We never had them but I can see where it would come in handy sometimes. And oh yeah, if you are thinking about a two hole, get a three hole! The initial cost may be a little more, but still easier than trying to "trade up". I know!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I saw today dog boxes that have the fan go on automatically if the temperature gets to hot. That would be great especially in the humid weather and if you are away from the truck for a time with another dog.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

If you're in New Mexico as your profile states, Deerskin is going to be the closest, they make a solid product. The other company you named, Ainley, is also a top notch company. Both make excellent products but Aniley is a bit of a hike for you. I went down the same road as you and decided on an Ainley because of their reputation and their proximity. I have a newer Ford F150 crew cab with the longer bed and have a 3 hole box. Full bed length drawers, fan, LED airing lights, pneumatic struts on the doors and a 15 gal water tank. Works excellent and can't believe I went as long as I did hauling crates around.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Page View Post
    So we’re beginning our look for a new truck. Our current truck has a camper shell with side win-doors and 3 crates that sit on a platform--- also 3 fans. Instead of going the same route with the new truck we’re thinking we might go with a slide in dog box. On the list of manufacturers we’re considering are Ainley, Deerskin and Jones.

What manufactures should we stay away from? (Per other RTF comments, I think we’ve eliminated Diamond.)
    For the dog box, what are some must haves?
    What are some that aren’t necessary but are nice to have?

Thanks
    Melis
    Jones would not be in my top 5 and I only have a top 3 mfg list.
    Fan, door props should be std equip on top of the line box. Lights, water, top rack are usually options. Buy the best and buy it once.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I have a 2012 Chevy with the 6.2 L engine. Awesome truck. 17-20 mpg highway. Plenty of power to pull my dog trailer and with a slide-in in back. Pulls 32 foot camper easily. I did a lot of research and went with an Ainley 3 dog. I LOVE it. Fan for sure, airing lights, drawers and water tank. I could possibly do without the water but it's nice. The Ainleys are awesome to work with and their machinists are unbelievable. They will custom make your slide-in. I wanted mine two inches taller than standard. No problem.

LOL at Kent S, I was going to say that on-board water was a top priority! It's so handy to be able to water the dogs and wash the duck juice off of your hands without lugging water jugs around. Good insulation, fans, lights, and a good way to secure the box would be high on my list. I remember someone flipping their dog truck on the way to the nationals a couple of years ago... the Ainley dog box saved all of the dogs AND the people and was still on the truck after the wreck.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Northstar.jpgNorthstar side.jpgNorthstar back.jpg

Here's my custom Northstar box. It's on a bedslide so I can access the front of my truck under the topper. I went with the plastic box so that I can lift it out easier when I need to use my truck.

The fan is mounted on the back & I slide a cooler under it w a frozen water jug. You can feel the cool air blowing out the front.

For a super cool down, I have put a bag of crushed ice in the drip trays.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

I have a 3 hole MTCK and really like it! I would recommend having drawers as long as the bed permits to fit wingers/blinds/guns and such! I also have 12 gals. water, fans and airing lights that really come in handy! I have seen Deerskin and Ainley as well and would recommend any mentioned as they are all great products! Also locks with same key is a plus! In the heat the dogs are really comfy as well in the cold! Good luck and you can't go wrong with all the suggestions posted on this thread!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

New Mexico-- the back water of the retrieving world

Thanks every one! I appreciate all the replies.

We'll be pulling a travel trailer also so we're looking at a 3/4 ton diesel-- probably Ford but figured we should look at Chevy & Ram also just to be sure. So the pull should not be a problem.

We for sure were going to get locks on everything (keyed alike) and fans. I like Mary Lynn's comment about the auto fan-- something I hadn't heard of before but sound like a good feature. We rarely get humid weather but I like the idea. And we'll probably get water -- as Pam said if it's in the box that is much easier than hauling jugs.

Airing lights – we weren't sure about those but it seems that most of you think they are a valuable addition.

Drawers—again something we’re thought of but haven’t decided on. I’ve seen some drawers that are not equal width. I’m guessing that that’s for wingers (we have Gunners up) in the wider side and the extra paraphernalia in the other. What depth do you all like the drawers to be?

Raymond— I definitely agree, buy the best and buy it once!! So what are your top 3 manufacturer choices?

Again thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
    Melis
    Nothing will change unless I try. If I try and nothing changes -- at least I try!