The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crate Placement in pickup bed

Default Crate Placement in pickup bed

So been thinking about this... did some google searches and no hits so I'm here asking.

I have a Tundra with a cab high topper and one lab. He rides in a plastic crate that I currently have fastened to the side of the bed back by the tailgate. I used to have him fastened up by the cab, but it quickly became a pain in the butt crawling in and out of the bed to get him in and out of his crate. The crate was more secure when tied down by the cab but it sure makes it convenient to get him in and out when he's back at the gate. Not to mention he gets a lot more air when back by the gate from the slide windows. And when hunting season is here it's difficult to crawl over all the gear to get to the crate when it's all the way up against the cab.

What do you guys do??

up tight to the cab
    I drive slow and look into fields.
    when Molly MiniVan rear-ends me going 80
    I want as much truck as possible tween bumper and crate.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    up tight to the cab
    I drive slow and look into fields.
    when Molly MiniVan rear-ends me going 80
    I want as much truck as possible tween bumper and crate.
    This. I just acquired a two-hole slide-in that would be much easier to get to up by the tailgate, but I want a large crumple zone between Molly (or Marvin) Minivan and my dog.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

The ride next to the cab is also much smoother, the other consideration is when truck is idling the exhaust fumes dog will breath when by tailgate.
    My good friend built a secure shelf for crates back by cab. He secured crates to shelf and then just opens side windows in topper and can reach in and let's them out rather then scrambling all the way back there. Gotta kind of make dog path through equipment for dogs to get in and out but they do it happily.

By the cab for sure. Get a talgate ladder and it will be worth it for a safe trip. Pickup beds are designed to buckle in the middle of the bed from a rear end accident. In the back by the tailgate it would slid off right into traffic. It happened to a training partner and we just talked about it last week. I will not tell you about the outcome of the dog it would make you cry. He has a thicker crate now but the name slids by me. Crate is clamped down on all four sides and right up to the cab. He did tell me if he did this from the start his dog would be here today.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Look into a bed slide, they are awesome and make it easy to access the whole back of the truck without jumping in and out every time. I also put a vent off a horse trailer towards the from of my topper to force air through. I will get some pics up tomorrow.

Who is this "Keith S"? I was looking at roller beds last night because my SUV can't last forever and toppers are inconvenient:

http://cargobed.com/

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Bedslide/bedslide.htm

And I was wondering if a boot and slider windows from the cab would send enough A/C (summer) and heat (winter) into the topper.

I guess it would also matter what kind of crate you have. I own a zinger crate that I mounted to a platform in the back of my truck. The zinger crate I can open with a hook on the end of a stick. This way I don't have to crawl in and out of the truck. Got room for gear on the side and my wingers slide under the crate. I've also installed an Endless Breeze fan to the crate door recently.

http://emob237.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1368814312

Last edited by SSCarnage; 07-09-2013 at 06:55 AM.
    HR LZL's Hammer of Thor

Also, the crate is bolted to the platform. And the platform is attached to the D rings in the back corners of the bed.
    HR LZL's Hammer of Thor

Mine sits up tight against the cab of the truck. I also installed one of these on the tailgate http://www.truck-n-buddy.com/Truck-N-Buddy, for me and the dogs.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).