The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Walking Fetch?

Default Purpose of Walking Fetch?

Can someone please explain the purpose of the walking fetch in retriever training?
    Can one skip this step and go to Firce to pile?

How many sessions are needed of walking fetch if it cannot be skipped?

Thanks,
    MannyG

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    Can someone please explain the purpose of the walking fetch in retriever training?
    Can one skip this step and go to Firce to pile?

How many sessions are needed of walking fetch if it cannot be skipped?

Thanks,
    MannyG
    This IS the first step of FTP. It makes the step by step transition from FF from the ground to a moving fetch to the pile which is the first step of taking a line to a blind.

Why do you want to bypass it?

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I wanted to pass the Walking fetch because I couldn't see it's I'mportance but now I see what it's meant to do.

How many sessions do u recommend before I can continue to FTP? And I know it all depends on dog, but telle how many sessions it took you so that I can get an idea!!

You do the fetch/no fetch until the dog is reliable and sharp but don't belabor it so you bore him to death. You'll have to tell me how many days or weeks that is.

Mix in some marks every day.

You sound like you are in a hurry??? How old is your dog? Don't get in a hurry ... that's a recipe for trouble down the road. Stay focused on what you're doing today and understand how it fits into tomorrow. Baby steps.

Good luckl.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

It also generalizes FF by adding the motion. Even without FTP as a next goal, walking fetch helps make FF practical, it provides application.
    David Didier, GA

Thanks guys, my dog is 11 months old today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    This IS the first step of FTP. It makes the step by step transition from FF from the ground to a moving fetch to the pile which is the first step of taking a line to a blind.

Why do you want to bypass it?

JS
    +1!
    It's an important component of FF'!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    I wanted to pass the Walking fetch because I couldn't see it's I'mportance but now I see what it's meant to do.
    Yeah, you don't want to start skipping around your training material. Each concept has it place in building up the fundamentals.

Not only does it lay out some ground work as J.S. mentioned, you're also hammering home the idea to your pup that FETCH is a command, not something pup will do with every bumper it sees- not all birds "belong to you" .
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
    +1!
    It's an important component of FF'!

Not only does it lay out some ground work as J.S. mentioned, you're also hammering home the idea to your pup that FETCH is a command, not something pup will do with every bumper it sees- not all birds "belong to you" .
    Exactly. It's very much about control. I like to use a variety of different bumpers/sizes/shapes, since dogs have their favorites...it gives me just a little more opportunity to make my point regarding which bumpers they get to pick up. I'll have a mixed bag of Dokkens, Averys, canvas, DT, and maybe a half filled water bottle or a wooden buck.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    It also generalizes FF by adding the motion. Even without FTP as a next goal, walking fetch helps make FF practical, it provides application.
    Absolutely correct. Movement tends to disrupt a young developing dog's concentration on a task. Walking Fetch provides motion to FF, which will cause errors the trainer can quickly and efficiently correct to deepen the skill set of FF. There is no distance between dog and trainer to slow down or impede any needed corrections because the dog is still by your side. You want that as solid as possible before assembling the fundamental obedience tasks with those of FF into FTP, which is the fully trained retrieve. This is all Carr-based principle, and represents a vitally important area of sequential development. I would caution against skipping steps, while expecting a top quality result.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Plus you would be skipping stick fetch by going on to FTP.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.