The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drills

Default Drills

Ever had certain drills that your dog just doesn't understand or the drill seems to confuse the dog no matter how you simplify it?

I have done wagon wheel drills with all my dogs and they did very well, actually seemed to like it. The last dog I trained did not understand the drill at all. The more we tried the more confused she got. It really killed her attitude and she started bugging. There were no corrections, just call backs and moving up trying to get her to understand. I finally gave up on it and just ran cold blinds and big memory blinds with her. Wondering if anyone else had a particular drill that just didn't work for one of your dogs.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I had this one, I started working on the remote sit and no matter what I did she would avoid the board. I did everything to get her to do it move up and send she would run right over it, but I would move back 10 yards she would run over it, I would stop her and say place, she would go right to it. I would be thinking OK she has it "NO" move back another 5 yards back to square one.

I tried everything, Finally I just sent her out stopped her, went out and put her where I wanted (With the here command )and then fine tune it with the come in whistle. It took a little longer, but we got through it.

The real funny thing is when I stopped her and sent her on an angle back she would go right to it.

Go Figure.
    Keith

It happens. But I believe most of the time when a certain dog has a problem with a given drill it has far more to do with how it's done than with the drill itself. That and lack of balance in overall training. Sometimes you have to know when to back out of it for a while, and just mark the dog...sometimes a week or two, and then ease back into it.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    It happens. But I believe most of the time when a certain dog has a problem with a given drill it has far more to do with how it's done than with the drill itself. That and lack of balance in overall training. Sometimes you have to know when to back out of it for a while, and just mark the dog...sometimes a week or two, and then ease back into it.

Evan
    I do not want to get off topic, But I have a question for Even. I feel if the balance between, fun bumpers, retrieves and praise is maintained within the training session there should not be a reason to move off task or the flow chart.

I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    I do not want to get off topic, But I have a question for Even. I feel if the balance between, fun bumpers, retrieves and praise is maintained within the training session there should not be a reason to move off task or the flow chart.

I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Keith
    Keith,

With most dogs I think you're right. One of Rex Carr's sayings ("Rex-ism's") I like most was "Leave something in it for the dog". That's where balance comes from. We read our dogs as we go along, and make sure the overall training regimen contains low stress, high excitement elements to balance out the repetitive, high concentration demands of many aspects of development.

It's not uncommon that a trainer will become so focused on the new skill he or she wants a dog to have, or the level of perfection they desire, that the dog gets left behind. There are some dogs that need more time and excitement in the process. They'll likely take a bit more time to bring along, but they can also be very nice working dogs.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

― George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Keith

I had several dogs that ran the wagon wheel and liked it but I had one that hated it. I made her run it once in a while but running pattern blinds and cold blinds worked better for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I had several dogs that ran the wagon wheel and liked it but I had one that hated it.
    Which one? Lining, casting, or two-hands Back?

Evan

― George Bernard Shaw

For the most part dogs that appeared to hate wagon wheels that I have trained had the best carry over to working the dog on line. Dogs that had "fun" with wagon wheels considered it a fun game and noticed not much carry over to the line, except for perhaps here/heel. Just an observation. My six year old and just turned two year still think wagon wheels are fun be they eight hand casting or 16 bumper wagon wheels. They are both very high drive dogs. The fun girls profit more from no no drills over jumps, brush piles , chair drills, etc. The wagon wheel in my opinion is a form of a no no drill calling back if they take the wrong bumper. There are many versions of the wagon wheel drills. Most drills you really don't want to turn them into tricks that dogs learn, drills for the most part are teaching concepts, conditioning a dog to pressure and showing the dog how to handle/get out of pressure then transferring those concepts to field work.
    Earl Dillow

Hi Earl

The dog that I had did ok on the initial 4 & 8 bumper part of the drill,but not on the 16 bumper. It was the lining that did not go well. Trying to work with her to look where I wanted her to go, she more often went elsewhere and had to be stopped and called back. We would move up and repeat, but 2 or 3 times of being called back and she started worrying. She did much better on the casting part of the drill. I just felt that I was creating a bigger problem trying to work thru the lining and just moved on to cold and memory blinds. Se can take and hold a good line for 100 yds or so, but I still have trouble when the lines are very tight to each other.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.