The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Diesel vs Gas

Default Diesel vs Gas

Looking for some input on buying a new truck. I pull a gooseneck trailer and debating whether to go gas this time, with the cost differential of the diesel. Anyone go thru this and what did you end up buying? Thanks

Honestly if your towing a goose-neck it's heavy and you would need the diesel for the torque. I would recommend a dodge. Dodge doesn't need the costly exhaust fluid and it is the biggest baddest diesel on the market.
    I have never understood why you can have the best trained dogs in the world, but when you put two dogs together the act like they have a half a brain between the both of them.

Rkk's Lady Of the Lake

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wilburn View Post
    Honestly if your towing a goose-neck it's heavy and you would need the diesel for the torque. I would recommend a dodge. Dodge doesn't need the costly exhaust fluid and it is the biggest baddest diesel on the market.
    Yeah the cummins are nice. It's everything built around it that falls apart

Diesel all the way if your towing a gooseneck. The cost difference in fuel is more than made up for with fuel economy in the deisel. My old f-150 got around 13mpg unloaded. Around 7 mpg towing heavy. It was a stock truck with v-8 engine.

my diesel f-250 gets 18-19mpg, and averages 15-16 mpg towing heavier loads than my f-150 could have handled. Oil changes are about the same cost as my gas truck. Fuel filter changes hurt a little with the diesel. DEF fluid isn't even worth discussing. It's $25 every 6-8k miles.

I actually spend pent less per month in fuel with my diesel than I did with my gas truck. And I have a lot more truck with the diesel. Shouldn't even be a thought if your towing. Diesel.

I will never own anything but a diesel. My cummins saved my life wheni was hit head on by a drunk driver. I have owned an 08 cummins with the 6.7L and it was a good motor. But the transmissions in the dodge is a throw away. You will most likely be replacing at some point in your life. I now own a 2006 Duramax with the LBZ model motor. I have right at 240K on it with no issues to speak of. The Allison transmission is awesome, I have no complaints about the motor at all, and the truck is nicer and more comfortable than the dodge ever dreamed of being. I have considered a Ford a few times, but then I come back to my senses.

I have a 2011 Duramax and love it. DEF fluid is no big deal its about $15 for around 8,000 miles. Not a problem at all.