The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E collar transition to force fetch

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Two good points Tony. One is that continuous for sit can have affects opposite the trainer's goals. But the solution really makes a difference in terms of lasting effects. It's so popular to stop the dog, the dog sits crooked, then the handler calls the dog toward them to straighten them up, and then casts. It's a circus. Rarely is there lasting value to it, so the trainer forms the habit of this treatment on a regular basis. He needs to because it isn't a cure in most cases.

Sorry, I don't mean to side track the thread.

Evan
    I promise I am not picking on you with what I am about to say. You are a great resource to this forum and I am glad to have you here.

I don't know if you noticed, but both you and Tony thought this matter was important enough to spend time telling me that I was doing the wrong thing, which is helpful. Perhaps it would have been even more helpful if either or both of you had provided your solution to this problem and your rationale as to why your method is better, and maybe I could have learned something.

Again, I am trying very hard not to be that guy, but where does it leave someone who admittedly does not know (Rookie Trainer, anyone?) and wants to know when you drop in and say "You're doing it wrong" with no further explanation?
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Two good points Tony. One is that continuous for sit can have affects opposite the trainer's goals. But the solution really makes a difference in terms of lasting effects. It's so popular to stop the dog, the dog sits crooked, then the handler calls the dog toward them to straighten them up, and then casts. It's a circus. Rarely is there lasting value to it, so the trainer forms the habit of this treatment on a regular basis. He needs to because it isn't a cure in most cases.

Sorry, I don't mean to side track the thread.

Evan
    Evan,

You say that trying to fix the side sit this way is wrong... I trust that you know a heck of alot about this subject seeing how i have spent a ton of money buying and using your program.. So to push Steves point how do you think it should be done? i too am a "Rookie Trainer" and know i do things wrong, but like most want to learn to do things correctly.

Thanks,

Dustin
    SHR Goodwins Hat Creek Hound "Gus"

Dustin & Steve,

Thanks for asking. I really don't want to derail the original topic. It's been a while since I posted on this subject, so why don't I just open a thread on the treatment of a chronic crooked sit, and we can discuss it there. Does that sound helpful?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Dustin & Steve,

Thanks for asking. I really don't want to derail the original topic. It's been a while since I posted on this subject, so why don't I just open a thread on the treatment of a chronic crooked sit, and we can discuss it there. Does that sound helpful?

Evan
    New thread started "chronic crooked sit"
    SHR Goodwins Hat Creek Hound "Gus"

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    I'll search for that thread. You are right that the momentary is shorter, and you can't exactly replicate it on continuous. I guess I thought that they might be so close as to be really indistinguishable to the dog.

I have had problems with my dog on a slow/loopy sit, and I was taught to give him a whistle and then a continuous until his butt hit the ground. It clears him right up when he takes a notion to try it again. Have I been doing this incorrectly all this time or is this one of those "it works for that particular dog" things?

Thanks for the response. The more I learn the more I see I have to learn.
    Steve,
    What does "your pro" say?
    Think probably... that is the advice to go with..That pro knows what the heck he is doing. Trust me.. more than some posting on this thread..
    Patience, Steve..
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    Steve,
    What does "your pro" say?
    Think probably... that is the advice to go with..That pro knows what the heck he is doing. Trust me.. more than some posting on this thread..
    Patience, Steve..
    He says I need to have better timing on my corrections in general, which is entirely correct. I don't think I have asked him this specific question yet, but I will. I also suspect I will be spending 3 or 4 days with him when they come back from up north figuring some of these things out and getting some much-needed training for myself.

I have said it before, but it bears repeating that I have completely bought into the fact that all my dog's issues are a result of my failures as a trainer. That's why "you're doing it wrong" without the corresponding "here's what I would do" is not helpful to me at all.

I do need more patience, and I am praying that God will send it to me right now.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"