The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Good Training Programs

Default Good Training Programs

I have been looking around for a training program for my dog and i but havent really been able to find one that i think fits us.

I am looking for one that has everything i would need to know about,stopping on a wistle, retrieving on a line, and hand signals.

I dont really want one that is super extreme such as training for competitions. I also dont want to use the e-collar. I am just training her for duck season not upland birds.

Probably starting at the basics and working our way up. I have already taught her to heal and she stays where ever i tell her to even if she cant see me (atleast for a little while). As long as she can see me she will stay no matter the distance. I also have her trained to stay on anything that i point at and say is her bed. we house trained her that way and i am going to use that same application So she can sit outside the blind to see a little better. She is a very Mellow dog but loves to retrieve.

Does anyone have any ideas of a good program for us. Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by reger124 View Post
    I have been looking around for a training program for my dog and i but havent really been able to find one that i think fits us.

I am looking for one that has everything i would need to know about,stopping on a wistle, retrieving on a line, and hand signals.

I dont really want one that is super extreme such as training for competitions. I also dont want to use the e-collar. I am just training her for duck season not upland birds.

Probably starting at the basics and working our way up. I have already taught her to heal and she stays where ever i tell her to even if she cant see me (atleast for a little while). As long as she can see me she will stay no matter the distance. I also have her trained to stay on anything that i point at and say is her bed. we house trained her that way and i am going to use that same application So she can sit outside the blind to see a little better. She is a very Mellow dog but loves to retrieve.

Welcome to RTF. Where is Scio? You need to hook up with some people in you area for guidance.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Its in Oregon, and i have seen a couple places by me one i drive by every day on my way to work. Its called TruLine retrievers. I researched it and im not sure if i can afford to go there. I also don't want to go there and my dog not be ready for it. she is very shy and skidish around new people until she gets to know them so i dont know how she would react to that. She is pretty much scared of everything except for gun shots and dead birds.

Quote Originally Posted by reger124 View Post
    SmartWorks. A well layed out program from a-z and easy for novices to follow.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

But alas! Smartworks uses an ecollar in his program. Bound to be some amish trainers out there that can help out.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Get an old pre collar book like James Lamb Free's or Cotton Pershall's. ignore the parts where they shoot the dogs or whip them severely. Or you might read those parts and get over the unreasonable queasiness about the collar. Another option- DVD Training the Wildrose Way or a book British Training for American Retrievers. Last suggestion, and maybe the best, James Spencer's Training Retriever for Marshes and Meadows.

Now the reason I know about all these resources is that I was just like you. No nasty collar for my boy. Well, after buying into all that crap and wasting about three productive years with my dog, my considered conclusion is that if properly handled, the ecollar is the most efficient and humane method to train. The other is bs. If you want to talk it over sometime, send me a PM with your number and I will call
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Why no E collar? Not that I am against it just curious.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

reger, I am a big fan of Mike Stewart's program used on the DU dogs, The Wildrose Way. No e-collars are used at all and I've been doing it with my newly acquired pup for just about two months now. If you're interested, I'm keeping a blog of our progress at trainingjack.blogspot.com. Let me know if you have more questions about this training method, but I absolutely love it so far.

That sounds promising I would love to hear more about it.

I don't feel the need to use the E-collar. I think it would hurt my dogs training rather than help. She is very mellow and very skidish. She is also very smart, i can do something with her and she will do it by her self on the third try max. Last night we tried something totally new to her and she got it right on the first try. I can also get her to freeze just by raising my voice so i don't need the E-collar to control what she does. In our little drill last night she messed up on the sixth or so attampt and all I had to do was raise my voice a little and have her start over. She didn't mess up the rest of the time. So it's not that I don't like the E-collar i just don't see me needing to use it.

The Wildrose Way is all about shaping the dog's natural desires and skills into what you are looking for. There is a lot of focus on "make haste slowly" or in other words making sure the action is ingrained so deep that it becomes instinctual habit. I picked me up a book from amazon and was lucky enough to also find the DVD for $15 used. I think they sell it on their website for around $35, but I'm too cheap to pay full price. Go ahead and take a look at their site at uklabs.com.