The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep dog from licking wound?

Default How to keep dog from licking wound?

My dog stepped on some broken glass while training on June 21st. It took almost three weeks for the pad that was cut to heal. Her foot was wrapped in a bandage for the first two weeks of this. She now has some normal bandage sores from having her foot wrapped and not using it for so long. One of these sores bothered her so much that she chewed and licked until her center pad came off. So now we are back to waiting for this tissue to devitalize and get hard. My vet has me rinsing and applying ointment twice daily along with an antibiotic pill. She wears a cage muzzle while I am at work to keep her from possible chewing on it more. I have tried two different cones and she can get her foot around them. Can y'all think of anything besides a cone that would keep her from licking her sores so they can heal faster? Thanks.

I bought the cheap plastic cone from my vet's office. I started with the 30" one, but it was too big, so I went back and got the 25" one. It works great. He can not get access to any part of his body, including his feet. The reason I have one on him now is I just had a cyst taken off of his top front leg.

As a side note, you do not want to keep wounds bandaged for a long time. The open air is what allows them to heal faster.

About 2 months ago, my pup cut one of his pads. I left it alone, and sprayed vetricyn three times daily, and it healed up quite nicely. Took about 2-3 weeks for full healing, but I left it unwrapped. He did lick it for a little bit, but not long enough to cause additional damage like you did.

I highly recommend going and getting larger cone from the vet's office.

The foot stayed wrapped for about 12 days. Fresh bandage every 1-3 days depending if she had gotten to it or left it alone. After that, the vet removed what stitches were left and we left the bandage off. Her foot has not been wrapped since then. The air helped the initial cut heal very quickly and I can tell that these sores are starting to heal. Her licking even with the cage muzzle just slows this down some. I am reluctant to get a third cone, seeing as the first two did not keep her from getting the back foot inside the cone and chewing on it.

have you tried something similar to a hot spot spray? We had a boxer that had a cyst when we rescued him, and we'd spray bactine on it and a hot spot spray. It healed up pretty quick and he wouldn't lick it at all. I know they sell it at tractor supply, but you can probably find it in other places as well.

A friend of mine had an inflatable doughnut not sure where he got it. Also apple-bitters, spray on and yucky-tasting. Then there's dog boots. They make all different types, from tightly fitting boot types to basic strap on leather bags. You strap them on some go far up the leg, then secure them with Duct tape, then spray that with apple-bitters. I use a boot whenever a dog throws a pad, but duct tape is a must, they can remove practically any other bandaging material.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

five gallon bucket with the appropriate hole cut on the bottom
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    A friend of mine had an inflatable doughnut not sure where he got it. Also apple-bitters, spray on and yucky-tasting. Then there's dog boots. They make all different types, from tightly fitting boot types to basic strap on leather bags. You strap them on some go far up the leg, then secure them with Duct tape, then spray that with apple-bitters. I use a boot whenever a dog throws a pad, but duct tape is a must, they can remove practically any other bandaging material.
    What do you mean throws a pad? This is my first working dog, still learning all this stuff.

I have used the dog boot method with success. Added one trick- use regular old super glue to close the wound before putting the dog boot on.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Had a dog that had surgery near his butt and he could colapse the cone (large one) until I duc taped a stiff wire all the way around the cone. The wire was about like really good quality coat hanger wire. Worked pretty well. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Slightly off-topic but related to cones.
    My golden bitch had a tumor removed from her right hip leaving a gaping hole at the incision point. Put e (Elizabethan) collar on her to keep her from licking the wound and pulling out - again - stitches. Had to go out of town for a day and had a friend's kennel help stop by to check on the gal. He called me mid morning all in a panic. "Oh Mr. Bob, I don't know what got into your dog. But she's got a daggone lampshade stuck on her head! What do I do?"
    Still laugh about that day.