The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to keep dog from licking wound?

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Slightly off-topic but related to cones.
    My golden bitch had a tumor removed from her right hip leaving a gaping hole at the incision point. Put e (Elizabethan) collar on her to keep her from licking the wound and pulling out - again - stitches. Had to go out of town for a day and had a friend's kennel help stop by to check on the gal. He called me mid morning all in a panic. "Oh Mr. Bob, I don't know what got into your dog. But she's got a daggone lampshade stuck on her head! What do I do?"
    Still laugh about that day.

That is hilarious. I just had a cyst taken off my pup's front leg, and after his first attempt at taking the stitches out when we had the wound wrapped with vet wrap, I moved to the cone. My wife said she would have preferred that I just put on a lamp shade instead...

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    What do you mean throws a pad? This is my first working dog, still learning all this stuff.
    Throw a pad, means to shed-tear the bottom layer of thick-skin off the paw, very a kin to blowing out the soles on your running shoes. It happens a lot if you switch hunting environments (different soil minerals, conditions etc) or your running a dog a bunch on hard ground. The dogs wear holes in the pads then they completely shed-off, resulting in tinder-sometimes bloody feet for a few weeks. When I go up to MT, in the summer it's a good bet one of my dogs will throw a pad, and they'll be wearing a boot or two before we come home, something up there does it. Still I'm not sure it's a bad thing as it seems to toughen their pads, getting them ready for hunting.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-17-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

There is nothing to super glue closed, it is an open sore. This picture is from last week, it is not as bad right now. Just trying to keep her from licking it since the cones don't seem to work with her.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ask your vet about no lick sprays that are very bitter to taste

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    There is nothing to super glue closed, it is an open sore. This picture is from last week, it is not as bad right now. Just trying to keep her from licking it since the cones don't seem to work with her.
    That's a good one, she went down more than two layers, no wonder the vet stitched it. I'd put some gauze/ neosporin on it and boot her when your gone, then let it air while your around to watch. There's also a purple disinfectant spray (don't remember what it's called), covers wounds really well, doesn't taste good, and You can always tell if they've been licking, turns the tongue purple. I doubt I'd be letting her walk around outside without a boot, looks like it'll tear again, and perhaps get infected
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-18-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)