The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toe Amputation

If your dog is black do have it by a pathologist for the possibility of cancer. If your dog is coat color chocolate or brown then that changes the likelihood of cancer.

Had a dog that got a puncture in her foot and we fault infections for about 3 months, she would get better while geting antibotics and then when off of them for awhile the infection would come back. The vet finally did a little explorilty surgical procedure and found a piece of wood that tissue had grown around, after that the infections never came back but while she was doing the procedure the vet went ahead and removed two of her toes because their bones had deteriorated so badly. I was worried at first but honestly you would have never known by looking a her or watching her work, she didn't miss a beat.

Jeff Warren

Paula, Sorry to hear this news. Hope all is good and Dixie gets better quick!!!!!

I had a dog that had a toe on a front foot amputated (middle toe, not outer). In her case there had been a melanoma at the nail edge. they removed the toe and she never seemed to miss it....but sadly 6 months later developed bone cancer and had to be put down. I sincerely hope that your dog's problem was caught.
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"

Our new shop cat at work was a stray. She had an infected middle (weight bearing) toe on one of her back legs. We tried antibiotics but after healing slightly it came back with a vengeance. We had her toe amputated as it had spread to the bone. She still limps on it occasionally and the vet said she would for awhile since it was a weight bearing toe. She has healed quite well and it for the most part doesn't bother her unless she jumps down and lands just right. Animals are pretty resilient.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

I thought I would give update how my dog is doing with her toe amputation.

The vet assured me there was no sign of cancer, that he would have had to take more of the toe if it was cancer. The infection was entirely in the bone and had to have entered through the nail or the nail bed. The culture came back as MRSA, so he changed the antibiotic. The stitches came out today, 2 weeks after the surgery. She is walking on it normally and has been for several days, even with the dressing on her foot. It has been a challenge to keep it dry with all the rain we've had, but she has been a good sport about wearing plastic bags.mail[2] (2) [resized].jpg

Thanks to all that responded, it was reassuring to know that most dogs responded well to the amputation.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

thanks for the update Paula. Hope you and Steve are doing well also. Give Dixie a big hug for me!
    Marty Lee
    HRCH Daisey's Rambunctious Rascal "Rambo"
    Co-Owner HRCH Summers Gusty Breeze "Gussie"

I had a dog lose a front middle toe. No adverse effects. Good luck with your dog.
    Carol

CH HRCH Rippling Waters Lagundo Sula MH - Sula
    GRHRCH Rippling Waters Talladega MH 500 Point Club - Tally
    HRCH Rippling Waters Capt. Marvel - Shazam
    HRCH UH Ambertrail's Bring The House MH 1,000 Point Club - Blitz
    GRHRCH UH Rippling Waters Daytona MH 500 Point Club - Day
    HRCH Rippling Waters Fire In The Hole MH - Peytah

This is a better view of the foot.

mail[3] (2) [resized].jpg
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Sorry to hear about Dixie. Hope she is doing better
    HRCH Rip's Fullhouse Jacks Over Aces SR Ace
    Color me Gone- Speed

Jack Gravely
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire