The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Info: NurtriSource Perf. or Dr. Tim's Pursuit - please don't bury in reviews

I have been feeding Nutri Source Performance to my dog since November last year. He used to eat 5 cups Purina and was too skinny and had a dull coat. Now he eats 3 cups NS is perfect weight and has bright shinny coat. I buy from wags.com with free delivery in 2 days for about $52.00 for a 40 lb bag. Cannot imagine $75 per bag....just search on web.

Quote Originally Posted by holly hill View Post
    I feed Nutrisource Performance to my three field trial dogs and they have done well on it. One of those dogs has skin issues and he is better on Nutrisource Performance than any other food I have had him on. Chris Ledford also feeds Nutrisource performance and his dogs look great. Go to their web site and read the label. No corn
    I heard from Chris Ledford recently changed and is no longer feeling this food?
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by T-Pines View Post
    We love the Dr. Tim's momentum, actually was able to put weight on our males right away, which we wanted. Our females were fine weight wise on Orijen. We are actually mixing the Dr. Tim's Momentum with Orijen and are really happy with our results across the board, finally. We have tried lots of different foods from PPP to Orijen and Dr. Tim's is the one that can consistently keep the weight on in heavy training. You do not have to feed much of it, Momentum is 588kcals per cup, where PPP and Orijen are about 480-490. Just our personal experience in the food game.
    Colleen
    dr. Tim's is rated 5 /5 on dog food advisor and highly rated in whole dog journal. You can't beat the fact that the winning Iditarod team the last two years in a row feeds this food. What that tells me is that it gives the long-term energy that a field trial dog needs for training and trials on the weekend. this is the product i am leaning towards.

i actually think the nutrisource super performance is the better product over the performance It definitely has more chicken in it since the first two ingredients are chicken meal and chicken. When dog food companies list chicken as their first ingredient, this is uncooked chicken. Once it is cooked down there is much less of it and the other ingredients takeover as being primary. Chicken meal is chicken that has already been cooked and has been ground into meal. There is actually much more chicken in a product that says chicken meal as the first ingredient, chicken as the second ingredient.
    Nutrisource is rated 4/5 on dog food advisor.

i am going to be talking with a canine nutritionist from Cornell next week and then will make a decision......
    Susan

I spoke with a NS rep. in Middleton a few months ago and he told me that more than a few dogs have a hard time with the Super Performance. He said that the few percentages more of both protein and fat can upset dogs stomachs and give them runny stools. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I heard from Chris Ledford recently changed and is no longer feeling this food?
    I got a message from one is client said that he definitely is still beating Nutrisource Super Performance. He has had no issues with diarrhea, Coats, etc.
    Susan

Good grief. There is no perfect dog food. There is one that is best for your dog. Pick one, try it and see if you like the results. If not, pick another and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanExo View Post
    Good grief. There is no perfect dog food. There is one that is best for your dog. Pick one, try it and see if you like the results. If not, pick another and try it.
    This was not helpful. Thank you so much. Some people actually LIKE having a discussion. YESH!!!
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I got a message from one is client said that he definitely is still beating Nutrisource Super Performance. He has had no issues with diarrhea, Coats, etc.
    Auto correct makes me laugh.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Auto correct makes me laugh.
    I laughed too....

Susan, Chris had his rep drop off a bunch of bags at our trial here near Fargo a month ago. It's made just down the road here in the same vicinity as human food and I've heard they use the same policies between the different plants. Nutrisource has been a good feed for me in the past but their prices seem to keep rising, almost substantially the last year or two. I have been feeding ProPlan for a long time and didn't really see a change in my dogs when on Nutrisource and with PP raising prices again here recently and starting to see a lot of flaky skin, I thought I'd give Loyall a shot. I'm a committee member with our local Delta Waterfowl chapter and Delta has a deal with Loyall so I thought I'd give it a go. Theres only two places that I can get it around here, a fancy pet food place and Tractor Supply. The ingredients seem to be very nice and their Professional (31/21) and Active Adult (26/19) are around $35 for a 40lbs bag. So far on the Professional I've seen softer stools but I'm now mixing the Active Adult and they've tightened up again so I'm just thinking the Professional is a little hot and paired with the warm temps. Their coats have lost the dander and wiry feel and they look great.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH QAA (Shooter)