The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from Science Diet WD?

Default Switching from Science Diet WD?

Some of you may recall but a few weeks ago I posted about my dog having soft stool, while Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy, and that I thought I had the problem solved by cutting back to 2 cups per day. Well last Friday, out of the blue, Betty vomited 2 or 3 times and had projectile diarrhea all weekend. She went in for an emergency visit Saturday, back to the vet again Monday, stayed over night until Tuesday. After parvo testing, exams, and x-rays, the vet found nothing out of the ordinary. Multiple stool exams revealed a fairly typical fecal culture. Monday night the vet fed her Science Diet WD, which is a bland prescription type of food. Well she turned a complete 180 and has been crapping solid nuggets ever since. I don't understand it... but all I know is she seems to be completely back to normal. Her poops are better now than they have been for her entire 7 months of life. Now, I have a full 20# bag of Science Diet WD and I'm wondering what I should plan on switching her to. This stuff is crazy expensive. Off the top of my head, I think it's got 12% protein and 8% fat, which seems really low. Anyone have any experience with using this food? What may be a good replacement brand of similar qualities?

It's good stuff for dogs with these problems, but it is expensive.

I have a dog with similar problems that might be sensitivity to corn??? We've done a bunch of tests. My vet isn't sure and I've been trying other foods cheaper than Science Diet WD. Also, a tablespoon of Metamucil with each feeding (morning & evening) of the regular food the other dogs get calms him down and my vet says that's OK (after all the tests).

Good luck.

If your dog does well on science diet wd, it does not have a sensitivity to corn. Corn is the first and second ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    If your dog does well on science diet wd, it does not have a sensitivity to corn. Corn is the first and second ingredient.
    Yep that was the first thing I noticed too. It's funny how all the marketing nowadays says how grain-free diets are the only way to go, yet a vet prescribed food like Science Diet WD lists corn as the first ingredient.

Only guessing, but I think the benefit of corn for a gastro problem is the high fiber and I think it is an easy to digest protein. But from what I've read, if you have a high performance dog (lots of training and competing) it's better to have a high protein high fat food with few carbohydrates like corn and grain. I'm sure some dogs have trouble with calorie dense high fat and protein foods, however. Also true that some dogs have a negative sensitivity to corn. My previous dog had a real problem with corn - mainly a skin condition that cleared up when we took it out of his diet.

Try victor ocean fish...no corn, low fat...has really helped my dogs with sensitive tummies.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

It has been my experience that the lower fat foods really help the puppies with chronic sensitive tummies. Corn is very hard on a dog to digest hence the gas and irritable bowels...not to derail or make a food bashing thread but I've tried blue and had similar results as the op...I was die hard euk till I found victor.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Well if it's working, why change? The expensive food is much cheaper than vet visits and your dog is a happy camper.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Check into Natural Balance Limited Ingredient. Basically the same food only better quality. Not sure on price though.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

my young lab had soft stool with blue chicken , then we switched to duck still soft , then we switched to salmon . her stool is solid ever since. i can't imagine science diet being crazy expensive if the main ingredient is corn . good luck with your buddy.
    rock