The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Undescending testicle - inheritance?

It is hereditary and these dogs should not be bred because the retained testicle will become cancerous. There are many other problems related to this condition.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    It is hereditary and these dogs should not be bred
    Meredith
    It is PRESUMED to be hereditary unless I am not privy to the completion of a definitive DNA study.

I just completed an on-line course from the U. of MN on canine reproduction. Dr. Root stated that it is inherited and that these dogs should be neutered.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Testicles may not drop for up to 6-8 months. How could either vet know what would happen? I've been in similar situations having owned or trained dogs with this condition and in my experience most breeders don't allow for this in their contracts. Really sucks if the plan was to breed. Don't know who you were dealing with but I'm pretty familiar with most the retriever folks in Oregon.

/Paul
    Paul, My point was that our breeders vet should have notified them and they should have notified us before shipping the dog to us. Having a vet check up is required by the airlines prior to shipping, so either they have an idiot for a vet or they were dishonest, either way, it was done poorly! Also to all concerned we did have this dog neutered, he has been a good dog, not a great dog....but based on the way this was handled, we over paid for this dog.
    Last edited by swampcollielover; 07-27-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Paul, My point was that our breeders vet should have notified them and they should have notified us before shipping the dog to us.
    Perhaps you haven't read the rest of the thread. The breeder's vet apparently did check your puppy and found no problem. Young puppies have a bit of a tendency to "hide" one or both when stressed. An airline flight would be a good example of this. IOW, just because your vet found but one, doesn't mean that the breeder's vet didn't find two or that he was unethical or didn't examine the dog. You assumed too much.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    It is hereditary and these dogs should not be bred because the retained testicle will become cancerous.

Meredith
    I believe that Dr. Root choose her words very carefully. She did say that under normal circumstances a cryptorchid puppy should be neutered. However, she did not say that a cryptorchid puppy will get cancer or that cryptorchidism was definitely genetic in nature. Probably yes, definitely no. I just checked her book. See page 291.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Thanks. She did say the retained testicle should be removed because it will be come cancerous. She also stated that it is best to neuter these dogs.

Specifically to Swampcollie lover, I concur with Eric about one testicle possibly hiding, going back up. I had heard it described before, read about it and then witnessed it. Male pup 7 weeks both testicles down, same male pup 9 weeks can only find one now. This was the same Vet. He says that he knows that he felt it at 7, it will probably come back down in a couple of weeks. We think that we start feeling it at 11 weeks, we go in at 12 weeks, Vet(same Vet) confirms it is down.
    I know that this was not the original question, but since this had been brought up I thought that I would add pertinent info.
    Colleen

I don't know when swampcollie lover picked up his pup, but I wouldn't think a vet would draw any conclusion or even be alarmed if a testicle was missing at seven weeks. I just picked a seven week old pup out of the litter a year ago. He was so small I didn't feel either testicle, after a week at home one wbecame apparent but it took another month for the other to appear.

John

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Paul, My point was that our breeders vet should have notified them and they should have notified us before shipping the dog to us. Having a vet check up is required by the airlines prior to shipping, so either they have an idiot for a vet or they were dishonest, either way, it was done poorly! Also to all concerned we did have this dog neutered, he has been a good dog, not a great dog....but based on the way this was handled, we over paid for this dog.
    Notified them of what? It was a puppy. You seem to be missing the point about when nuts can drop.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"